HOS version 2.0 updates and spring projects:: - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
You're doing it wrong.

Attachment 517202

See... Just like that

If you click "insert all" under manage picture attachments it will insert the pics and you can describe what's going on in the pics without them showing again at the bottom
I must be blind.... I don't see any "insert all" thingy to click.
KC0UIC
-.- -.-. ----- ..- .. -.-.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Newbs
Name:  Pic How to.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  blinkerfluid.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  38.1 KB
Can I interest you in some fresh blinker fluid

Sorry for the hijack HoS...

Now back to your regularly scheduled blue nitrile glove enhanced tech
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Update:

Tranny is about out. It is being held in with 1 bolt...and is showing gappage.

My jack wouldn't go high enough and I didn't feel like cutting lumber @11:00 last night...

Tonight it will be on the floor and ready to go to the tranny guy.

I also noticed that my aluminum adapter has a clocking rotation built into it...and unfortunately I think it will be pointing the T-case the wrong direction (IE DOWN!!). Regardless a clocking ring will be getting ordered.

HELMER:

What do you think you might want for the 2-1/2" thick adapter? I need it...

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 04-23-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Dropped the transmission...literally.

The unit came right out but when I was down below trying to guide it out it started to slide off of the blocks. I had to rest it against the flex plate and my bicept. Luckily I have been working out...

I let the tranny slowly come down on me and took a burned fluid bath. The output shaft slowly ground it's grooves into my thigh!

The wife did not appreciate me yelling for her.

Dropped the tranny off with tranny dude an hour and a half away. He did not like the smell from it... I told him it has only about the equivilant of 750 or so miles on it and that it has always run hot....

Not looking forward to any bad news.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 35185
What Tranny is this, 727?

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
What Tranny is this, 727?
TH400.

Switch Pitch.

Mid-late 60's Buick/Olds.

Heavy.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 13731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
TH400.
Heavy and big.

'They' say they weight in at about 145-150 pounds.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:

The unit came right out but when I was down below trying to guide it out it started to slide off of the blocks. I had to rest it against the flex plate and my bicept. Luckily I have been working out...

I let the tranny slowly come down on me and took a burned fluid bath. The output shaft slowly ground it's grooves into my thigh!

Dropped the tranny off with tranny dude an hour and a half away. He did not like the smell from it... I told him it has only about the equivilant of 750 or so miles on it and that it has always run hot....

you know I have a tranny jack you could have borrowed , or a beer, burgers and someone to watch the kids and wife and I could have helped
Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite View Post

you know I have a tranny jack you could have borrowed , or a beer, burgers and someone to watch the kids and wife and I could have helped
Dude....

Shit is so busy right now. I am watching the days tick by so fast. I am hoping for the best on the tranny shit an the shaft swap.

From there it will be a BootyFab fest to finish the rig by Memorial Day.nnibam an expert at the booty fab!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:

From the day you said you were going to have the output shaft changed, I was thinking to myself why not rebuild the trans while it's completely torn down to swap the shafts? The cost of the rebuild kit isn't that much and there's not that much additional labor... but I know you were trying to keep costs down, so I didn't mention it. Sounds like a rebuild is probably going to happen now.
KC0UIC

Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos View Post
From the day you said you were going to have the output shaft changed, I was thinking to myself why not rebuild the trans while it's completely torn down to swap the shafts? The cost of the rebuild kit isn't that much and there's not that much additional labor... but I know you were trying to keep costs down, so I didn't mention it. Sounds like a rebuild is probably going to happen now.
Well the thing about a rebuild is that I shouldn't fucking need one. The tranny only has the equivilant of about 1000 miles on it. BUT for some reason the thing has been runnng solo super hot. I just don't get it.

Tranny guy and I talked about doing a "refresh" of the tranny assuming that there was no contamination. Talked to him yesterday and the good news is that there was none.

So here is what was done to the tranny:

New output shaft
Case drained and hung for inspection
New frictions/clutches for the front/rear drive? Like 10 frictions.
New reverse band
New filter
New gasket set

it came in a little higher than I was budgeting...but will be worth it. I am also going to relocate my temp gauge bung to the pan. I am also relocating the Derale coer to the engine compartment to shorten the run and get that loud bitch out of the cab.

Picking up the tranny on Saturday. I have lots to fucking get done.

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 04-29-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Well the thing about a rebuild is that I shouldn't fucking need one. The tranny only has the equivilant of about 1000 miles on it. BUT for some reason the thing has been runnng solo super hot. I just don't get it.

Tranny guy and I talked about doing a "refresh" of the tranny assuming that there was no contamination. Talked to him yesterday and the good news is that there was none.

So here is what was done to the tranny:

New output shaft
New reverse band
New filter
New gasket set

it came in a little higher than I was budgeting...but will be worth it. I am also going to relocate my temp gauge bung to the pan. I am also relocating the Derale coer to the engine compartment to shorten the run and get that loud bitch out of the cab.

Picking up the tranny on Saturday. I have lots to fucking get done.
I personally do not like the temp sensor in the pan. Your gauge will just tell you how well your cooler is working, but does not let you know how hot the trans is getting. It is my firm belief that the sensor should be T'd into the hot line leaving the trans and going to the cooler. Then the gauge will be reading the temp of the fluid after it has been worked instead of reading the temp of the fluid after it has been cooled and dumped back into the pan.
KC0UIC

Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
That is where I have the sensor currently and it read so hot (295+) that it broke the gauge. Overwound the spring and ruined it. Both the gauge and the thermocouple were new.

Getting pretty frustrating.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
That is where I have the sensor currently and it read so hot (295+) that it broke the gauge. Overwound the spring and ruined it. Both the gauge and the thermocouple were new.

You need to shut it down long before 295.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:

There ya go... now you know why your fluid was burnt to shit. Moving the sensor to the pan will only give you some false peace of mind. The guage will look happy and you will be happy.... until the trans shits the bed because you didn't know it was getting hot.

Something else is going on with the setup and until whatever that is get resolved, your destined for a repeat like Billy Murray in Groundhog Day. FWIW, I have the exact same issue in my CTD. In my case, it is due to an extremely tight torque converter. My TC is so tight, that the truck pulls pretty hard at idle. I once recovered an Ford Ranger sunk to the axles in mud by simply putting my truck in low range and letting my foot off the brake.... never had to touch the throttle.

When the TC is engaged and pulling and you sit there with your foot on the brake, there is a whole lot of "slipping" going on in the TC and that equals HEAT. If I have to sit for extended periods (like a traffic jam, looooong light, or long line at a drive through, my trans temp with climb to the sky. I have to drop it into neutral to keep the temp under control. People look at me funny in the sweltering heat when we're stuck in stop and go traffic and I'm sitting next to them with my truck in neutral and the engine cranked up to 1500 RPM.

Yeah, its sucks, but that's the price you pay for performance and longetivity when towing with an automatic. I know you've got a switch pitch and I don't know much about those... is it the stock TC? Are there even any aftermarket S/P TC's out there? Does the TH400 circulate oil in park? My 47RE did not, but that hydraulic circuit was modified at the time of the performance rebuild and now it does.
KC0UIC

Last edited by Mechanos; 04-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Noob question alert...

Since I toasted the 727 in my rig shortly after a rebuild, I'm wondering what options we might have. I have the 727 in the 800. The radiator is stock 800, and I run a large tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

I think of an auto is a hydraulic pump, but can you put a booster pump in the line going to the cooler and would it help or just mess with the tranny function?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
can you put a booster pump in the line going to the cooler and would it help or just mess with the tranny function?
I wouldn't do this. That's a return line to the pan so it's not under any real pressure due to there not being a restriction there. Putting a pump here at best would be creating a vacuum comming out of the trans and most pumps won't even do this. If you did find a pump to do it you would be subjecting parts to vacuum that are designed to be under pressure.....Having said this I've never known anyone to try this so you could be the first. Report back and let us know.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Quote:
Noob question alert...

Since I toasted the 727 in my rig shortly after a rebuild, I'm wondering what options we might have. I have the 727 in the 800. The radiator is stock 800, and I run a large tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

I think of an auto is a hydraulic pump, but can you put a booster pump in the line going to the cooler and would it help or just mess with the tranny function?
Don't do it. Since the output flow of the trans is determined by the pump curve of the trans pump, adding another pump inline is not going to increase flow through the cooler. Size the pump too big and you'll starve the pump and it'll cavitate, or it will pull the excess fluid it's asking for from the trans permaturely and starve trans components. Size the pump too small and it'll just be a restriction reducing the amount of fluid passing through the cooler and elevating pressures in the trans which could also have adverse affects. If you somehow were able to match the flow trans pump, all you could hope to do is raise the pressure in the cooler.

Besides, heat exchangers are designed for a certain amount of fluid velocity/flowrate through them. If you speed up the fluid passing through it, you reduce the contact time between the fluid and the cooler reducing the coolers efficiency. Slow the fluid down too much and it can have too much contact time with the cooler which can exceed the rate at which the cooler can disipate the heat to the air.

It's a delicate balance between a multitude of variables to get a heat exchanger to operate at maximum efficiency.
KC0UIC

Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
.....Having said this I've never known anyone to try this so you could be the first. Report back and let us know.
I can see it now... "Weekend Update 12/10/2010 Well that aux cooling pump I tried fried the tranny again..."

Quote:
Don't do it. Since the output flow of the trans is determined by the pump curve of the trans pump, adding another pump inline is not going to increase flow through the cooler. Size the pump too big and you'll starve the pump and it'll cavitate, or it will pull the excess fluid it's asking for from the trans permaturely and starve trans components. Size the pump too small and it'll just be a restriction reducing the amount of fluid passing through the cooler and elevating pressures in the trans which could also have adverse affects. If you somehow were able to match the flow trans pump, all you could hope to do is raise the pressure in the cooler.

Besides, heat exchangers are designed for a certain amount of fluid velocity/flowrate through them. If you speed up the fluid passing through it, you reduce the contact time between the fluid and the cooler reducing the coolers efficiency. Slow the fluid down too much and it can have too much contact time with the cooler which can exceed the rate at which the cooler can disipate the heat to the air.

It's a delicate balance between a multitude of variables to get a heat exchanger to operate at maximum efficiency.
I'm firmly in the "what if" camp on this. It seems there are lots of questions on overheating automatcs and I just wonder how much of it is an issue of swapping a tranny in a system that was not designed for that tranny and the cooling system is not working properly.

Hjack off.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6704
Any updates HOS? What did you find out from your trans guy? Anything weird going on inside?
KC0UIC

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
some dumb fawk sent him the wrong adapter and missed the post office today by 10 minutes with the correct one Hos tell the wifey not to open the next box with a knife
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Tranny update:::

Quote:
Any updates HOS? What did you find out from your trans guy? Anything weird going on inside?
So I picked up the tranny last week and have been swamped with trying to get things ordered, work, more work, and then everyday life.

For 280.00 here is what I got:

New output shaft
New reverse band
New filter
New gasket set
Labor

He says that it looks like it was getting warm...but he can't see why it is/was. He does want me to put the temp thermocouple in the pan. He says that the fluid coming right off of the converter is so hot that it is a false reading of what the other fluid temp is within the tranny.

He says that if my tranny was getting as hot as I think it was, then it will show it even in the pan location.

So we are going to do a little test when I install the tranny and relocate the coolers etc.

1. Run the tranny with no power. This will allow it to act like a dumb old TH400 with NO Switch Pitch.
2. After monitoring that temperature, hook up the 12V to the Switch Pitch terminal and see if I can get the temps to rise.

I am happy that I will at least get to use the thing this summer.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
some dumb fawk sent him the wrong adapter and missed the post office today by 10 minutes with the correct one Hos tell the wifey not to open the next box with a knife
ChiScouter...The package arrived this afternoon! Thank you very, very much for shipping out the other adapter. I will post up the long adapter on the local board and see if I can get any bites for you.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #49 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
So the past week/weekend has been busier that a hot whore in a homeless shelter. BUT last weekend I got to spend some quality garage time. Most of it was spent on cleaning the garage to get it in some kind of shape to work on the shit box.

Front end off, wheels/tires off, and ready for stripping the rear garbage off. Ohh and obviously the interior and pretty much everything else is out of it too.
Name:  scout5-12-10 003.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  132.1 KB

I am really digging only having 4 bolts holding on the front facia.

Looks like I am going to be mounting the power steering on the right side of the radiator. The Derale tranny cooler is going to get relocated into the engine compartment and near the master cylinder. I was running the stacked plate cooler in line with the Derale...but I think I might bypass that cooler.
Name:  scout5-12-10 004.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  114.7 KB

The old leaf springs. FUCK YEAH. One thing that bug's me about some GM, Chevy etc. applications is the use of different sized bushings and thus bolts for the fucking shackles. I will be using all 9/16" bolts on the rear of the pile. Details to follow on my fuck up....
Name:  scout5-12-10 007.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  88.7 KB

Wife came out to make sure I wasn't bleeding yet. She is a little gun-shy after I bench pressed the TH400. She wanted to take a photo for me to show you guys that I suck.

This was from today...stripping the two sets of different perches off of the Dana 60. The stock cast perches are a fucking paaaaaiiiinnn to get off. They burned the piss out of those things on. Axle is now stripped and ready for mock up.
Name:  scout5-12-10 015.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  128.5 KB

Last weekend and the past two days have been fueled by this, and protected by my tiki god:
Name:  scout5-12-10 022.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  117.0 KB

Next up will be

1. Turning down some poly bushings
2. Tig'ing in the bung for the temp sender.
3. Waiting for the UPS man.
4. Waiting for the USPS mail lady.
5. Wiring and some other boring shit until 3 and 4 happen.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 1684
The fluid in the cooler line isn't right off the converter it's just before dumping into the pan. It's just a matter of reading the temp before or after the cooler....It's just two different schools of thought. By all rights we should all have two trans temp gages but nobody does.
What I think has probably happened whith your trans in the past is you've operated it right in the RPM range where the converter is slipping- not enough RPM to make it lock and there is much torque going through it. This is easy to do wheeling a rig with a 2:1 transfer case. In normal driving this only happens for a few seconds at a time while running through the gears which leaves plenty of time for it to cool between. While wheeling you could hold that RPM indefinately.....
IMHO any auto trans will get hot doing this. .02c.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.