Budget Ram Assist - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 681
Budget Ram Assist

Finally getting around to putting hydro-assist on the Scout. Picked up a rebuilt PSC steering box and Farm Supply 2"x8" ram. Still deciding on which pump AGR or PSC. Still broke, so I'm keeping the 44 with PartsMike high steer arms and the drag link and tie rod y-link setup. Because of the y-link setup I'm concerned about attaching the ram to the drag link (thought Scout254 had a similar problem?). The ram has clevis ends so was thinking of attaching the ram to the original drag link arm on the knuckle. I know it will be low, but will cover the ram with a Ford shock tower that happens to fit perfectly. Plan is to limit the ram so it won't push on the knuckle. Besides going to a 60 any other suggestions?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Get a HD Dif cover & attach it to it, or make a plate which attaches to the top 4-6 bolts of the dif cover, then to your Tie Rod.

I know you said you plan to limit the ram, but IIRC 8" is for Dana 60s while Dana 44s use 6" ram.

WeBilt 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
The only place you'll find sympathy is in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis.
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 96205
From what I understand a 2" ram is going to move SLOOOOW if you happen to be driving on the street. Most people go with a 1.5" ram. I did. And for my dana 44 I only needed about 6" of stroke so you will have to find a way to limit the ram externally or internally to save your knuckles.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 681
Pete what pump did you use, do you have a remote reservoir? R290 and I measured the travel lock to lock and there is 9 inches, so with the RAM centered in won't push on the knuckles. The 44 is full width chevy.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 32403
Matt, when I used to have hydro assist then full hydro I just used a chevy pump from a hydro boost set-up, then Mike helped me boost it and I never had any problems. I personally think that those bling after market pumps are not needed.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 96205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Pete what pump did you use, do you have a remote reservoir? R290 and I measured the travel lock to lock and there is 9 inches, so with the RAM centered in won't push on the knuckles. The 44 is full width chevy.
I ended up using a ram from surplus center. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic
I have the same full width dana 44 8-lug like you do, but for some reason I only get 6" out of it. It is probably the steering arms/pitman arm setup I have.
I didn't add a reservoir yet, although it is on the list. I just added a small ps cooler. I am using the stock ps box that I drilled and tapped and the stock pump. The only issue that I have is that I need to increase the pressure the pump puts out by doing that add a washer or whatever that is in Jim Weed's writeup. Because I have an auto the fact that I sometimes have to bring the rpm's up to turn when I am up against a rock doesn't bother me too much.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 51801
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
Get a HD Dif cover & attach it to it, or make a plate which attaches to the top 4-6 bolts of the dif cover, then to your Tie Rod.
x2.You can kind of see in this pic thats what I did.I used the Scout II box and pump with 1.5x8" ram.I boosted the pump as per bills writeup on BP.It all works well.
Ask Jetfxr about running a 2" ram.
Attached Images

Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism, WAR has Never Solved Anything
rgwestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70148
old ford power assist systems had a sweet bracket for a 44.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
wondering aimless

Member # 4586
I had a guy here in Billings port and polish the spool valve in my steering box when he rebuilt it. Now it runs a 2" ran just fine, I am thinking it would be stupid fast with a 1.5" ram. It was an issue before, now it is as fast as you turn the wheel. I have mine set up like you are looking at, I just welded a tab on the tube, it is a little low as you were concerned with but if I do run into an issue, I will build a skid plate. Has not been an issue so far but I am aware where it is located.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Quote:
so with the RAM centered in won't push on the knuckles..
This is how PSC told me to setup mine(center the ram in the middle of travel), it still pushed on the knuckles, bent my tie rod ends, and snapped a couple studs. Please limit the ram instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 235frog View Post
so you will have to find a way to limit the ram externally or internally to save your knuckles.
Try to do the internal limiting

Quote:
Because of the y-link setup I'm concerned about attaching the ram to the drag link (thought Scout254 had a similar problem?)
Yeah I bent the tie rod end a couple times, went to the 2 hole passenger steering arm instead.

With the ram limited and 2 hole arm, I have never had any more issues with my steering.

Last edited by scout254; 11-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.
scout254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 681
Ok, so here is the ram set up I'm going to use on my 44. The pics are of my buddies Cruiser with a 60. He is running a 2x8 tractor supply ram. The gaurd is a ford shock tower. Also added some pics of my new bump stops. Right now I'm running a 4" drop pitman arm, but it hits the spring when flexed. R290 and I added the bump stops and ubolt plates to see if it will help. So far I've cracked open one ps box and snapped a sector shaft on another. The bump stops will help, but will probably need to make a 2" drop pitman arm.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
I have access to some thick steel, but have know asap, as this Thursday is the last day there. Call and see if you need any thing for that setup.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Do yourself a favor and limit the travel of the ram. Also I know it works fine for some but I recommend to not attach it directly to the knuckle with high steer as this puts lots of stress on that knuckle.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Do yourself a favor and limit the travel of the ram. Also I know it works fine for some but I recommend to not attach it directly to the knuckle with high steer as this puts lots of stress on that knuckle.
The ram travel is shorter then the tie-rod. But I since its going on the knuckle will need to double check travel to make sure it's still OK. Both knuckles have high steer arms? But the connection will be opposite of the drag link connection side.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 11635
When you shear the knuckle and/or slam that thing into a rock. Your on your own.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Tractor View Post
When you shear the knuckle and/or slam that thing into a rock. Your on your own.
Not all of use have arms as big as most peoples legs. We all know you got hydro assit so your daughter could drive

I was not overly excited with the location. The other option would be to tie it into the tie rod.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Tractor View Post
I hear ya about it not being the best location, but after seeing Scout254 TRE all bent out of shape, I'm not sure that's the best option either. Considering the ram and high steer setup I've got what is your suggestion?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11635
I've got mine tied into my tierod. First I got my pitman arm dialed in with my turning radius, then I figured out the stroke of the the ram I needed and ordered one. Just do it right and you won't be sorry
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Here's a pic
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 681
I went back and looked at Mechanos' setup and it looks like everything is relatively low and parallel. Doesn't look too dificult to modify the same style brace and mount for a ram with clevis'. I guess carrying a $30 TRE and replacing a bent one on the trail is easier than trying to fix a busted knuckle . Will probably limit the ram stroke a little bit, but from the first couple of measurements R290 and I did, it looked like the ram would stop before hitting the stops on either knuckle.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 681
Thanks Rock Tractor, is bracing off the pumpkin better than going the other way like Mechanos'?

Last edited by Scouty; 12-08-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Scouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Quote:
Thanks Rock Tractor, is bracing off the pumpkin better than going the other way like Mechanos'?
It's just a matter of what physically fits better for your application.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
wondering aimless

Member # 4586
Mine is great to the left, could be week to the right, but I use the Crane knuckles. Who knows ??????????