The why dont you just build a buggy....Scout rebuild - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
The why dont you just build a buggy....Scout rebuild

I dont know if anyone is even interested in this but maybe it will give me ambition to get things done so I have something to post up.

After my rollover last fall, the front end was kind of messed up. About the same time I ran into a deal for some 54" boggers that I couldnt pass up. SOOOOOO..........time to rework the Scout.

The plans are........
-push front axle forward 5"
-cage front end
-install Scout 80 hood and grille narrowed 14"
-chop out Scout frame from trans mount forward and rebuild
-new shock hoops
-clearance cage and sliders in rear to clear 54s
-radiator in rear
-sold the propane kit, installing fuel injection

The biggest part of the plan is I want it to sit lower on the 54s than it did on 47s. Im shooting for 2" lower. So that means all the suspension is getting reworked as well.

I also spun bearings in the motor so that is getting gone thru as well.

I havent got very far on this yet, Ive mostly been working on the motor but here is one sneak peak of what Im shooting for

I think I may be addicted

HARD GRASS HAVOCS ORIGINAL BADASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstallyn73 View Post
Dont let the haters get you down, alexray55!!! I would rather see ten homebrew rigs built with ingenuity and sweat than ten rigs built with a checkbook or credit card.
ChestonScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
That pic the hood and grille are just sitting there. I just wanted to get an idea of what it will look like.

Yes I am doing this whole build in my driveway in the middle of the winter and yes it blows goats. I have a small 2 car garage but this dang thing wont fit in it anymore.

So I was on hold fighting my motor for like 2 months. Every rod bearing was bad and 1 was spun. This motor was dang near new. Just installed last spring. It was a motor I was building for my Mustang drag car but the TTC motor pooped out so I threw this one in.
BTW the motor is a Ford 460

I put flat top pistons in it and it had the old 72cc DOVE heads. Roller tip rockers and a RV cam. Rest is stock. My buddy SkippedLink pointed out that I have 11.8:1 compression with this setup and thats why the bearings were all bad. The compression just beat the bearings out of it pushing my heavy pig around.

This news came just after I spent about 500 bucks to repair the motor and get gaskets and a lot of time on it.

So after some thought....this wasnt going to work. It ran ok on propane but it has a octane rating of like 110. With me converting it to efi I would have to run race fuel (which I cant afford) so something has to change.

I was going to swap on some newer heads that would have dropped the compression to around 9.5 but that deal didnt work out.

So after some consideration.....I decided to just pick up a EFI 460 and throw it in. This will be the easiest and most importantly the cheapest solution right now.

I will save the other motor for the Mustang again.

Im hoping I found a good motor. Its a 93 with 100k miles on it. It was pulled out of a wrecked truck. Got it cleaned up a little and threw it in.

Quote:
Dont let the haters get you down, alexray55!!! I would rather see ten homebrew rigs built with ingenuity and sweat than ten rigs built with a checkbook or credit card.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
JF
NOCTURNAL

Member # 133890
Sub'd

Been hoping to build a buggy with Scout skins for a while now. If I could just sell my current Scout.
JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Next, I started hacking the frame.

here is the chunk I cut out. You can see all the places where its been patched, straightened and patched again

Quote:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
BTW this is the new ride height in this pic. The body is sitting 1" lower than it was on 47s.

Im extremely happy with the height!

I am going to lose some of my up travel compared to before but it will be worth it for the better COG

Also.....this is a complete budget build....actually a no money build. Things are getting creative to say the least.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
So this is the main reason I chopped the frame. With me lowering the body the upper link mount had to be moved up. Since it was under the frame before this was my solution.

So now the frame actually comes up through the floor. Still have tons of leg and foot room tho.

The biggest time consumer....I had to inboard the frame about a inch to clear the fenderwell exit headers. I think it should work good. The headers are a new addition as well.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Link mounts done

Pass side motor mount done. Nothing fancy here. Just some old channel I had. Just has to work and will never be seen

I know this isnt much of a Scout anymore and a lot of guys will say it dont belong here but I figured I'd give ya bastids something to laugh at.

Flame on

Quote:
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
wondering aimless

Member # 4586
I'm in, let me know if I can help you out with any junk you need, if I have it, it's yours. By the way that truck looks like You may want to just start over
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15674
Major props to you for building in the driveway in winter. I just froze for two days fixing my skidsteer in the driveway.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Very cool. Will be watching this one. Not sure if I like the narrowed grill though. Are you going to skin the sides?

Last edited by rkscout; 01-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestonScout View Post
I put flat top pistons in it and it had the old 72cc DOVE heads.....I have 11.8:1 compression with this setup
Are you sure?.......Interesting build BTW.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 93509
SWEET! An 80 build thread.

And yes you deserve extra credit for building outside this time of year.

VVVVVV ....I know it's a II,or whats left of a II, but was commenting on the front sheetmetal he is going to use.VVVVVVV

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054475"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]NEED A TUBE BENDER?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited by IDScout; 01-21-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarifiy for the post below.
IDScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
"Official"

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
SWEET! An 80 build thread.

And yes you deserve extra credit for building outside this time of year.
Ummm....it was/is a Scout II.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 169257
Thumbs up

i like it, im the same way with being cheap... i find left over metal from work and use it!!!
looking great man, cant wait to see it done!
Big ass tires
JeepinYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestonScout View Post
I know this isnt much of a Scout anymore and a lot of guys will say it dont belong here but I figured I'd give ya bastids something to laugh at.

Flame on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
Ummm....it was/is a Scout II.
The only thing about the scouts that worked/looked good was the bodies, and even those rusted out at the sight of a rain cloud. They put insanely heavy/underpowered drivetrains in a overly heavy body/frame package on light running gear = .

Let the die-hards keep their "best SUV ever made" mentality

My next build is going to be a 3k lb buggy with a narrowed scoutII tub and 800 panels, probably on Toyota axles.......

[Hijack over]

Cheston, keep up the good work. Put a mini cooper clip on that thing for all I care. Let the haters hate.

Last edited by dboy; 01-21-2011 at 07:08 AM.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Cheston, you sir, are an animal. An outside winter time build

I will say, after going from your race engine to a stock 460, your gonna wanna put a bullet in it.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestonScout
I put flat top pistons in it and it had the old 72cc DOVE heads.....I have 11.8:1 compression with this setup

Are you sure?.......Interesting build BTW.

I looked up the numbers and it does leave a very high compression ratio....The resulting preignition is probably what did in your rod bearings.
Sounds like you have it under control.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
I'm in, let me know if I can help you out with any junk you need, if I have it, it's yours. By the way that truck looks like You may want to just start over
Right now the only thing I need that is Scout related is a good set of hinges for the Scout 80 hood. Mine are dead. I do need a ECM for the efi 460 and a few other odds and ends. Maybe I will just write a what I need post. Thanks a ton tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Very cool. Will be watching this one. Not sure if I like the narrowed grill though. Are you going to skin the sides?
Im still undecided on skinning the sides. Im thinking sheetmetal in between the cage. Im done having the Scout II quarters back there tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
Cheston, you sir, are an animal. An outside winter time build

I will say, after going from your race engine to a stock 460, your gonna wanna put a bullet in it.
Im hoping not. I was never impressed with my "race" engine. It ran like a beast at low RPM but as soon as I got on it for any period of time, it would stall out and die. Always fired right back up tho. I have since found out I probably had way more HPs than my propane kit could handle so I was just leaning out on fuel. The GotPropane kit will only handle 425 hp. My motor was rated at like 375ish stock so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
I looked up the numbers and it does leave a very high compression ratio....The resulting preignition is probably what did in your rod bearings.
Sounds like you have it under control.
Are you sure was the first thing I thought of to when I found out about the compression. I thought it might have been close to 10 to 1. Oops

Hopefully I can get this motor to run close to as good as the one in SkippedLinks buggy. He is going to be helping me get it running.

If you have ever seen his buggy run, the first thing you think is there is no way thats a stock efi 460. All it has is headers and the computer friendly cam tho. If I feel I am under powered, I will swap the cam.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
For about 2 years I have wanted to pull all my parts and build a buggy with them and put this Scout 80 grille on it. I had my design all worked out. It might still happen one day.

Basically it just came down to money. I figured I needed about 7 grand to do the buggy build and I could just rework this pig for maybe 1500.
I like wheelin to much to be out of it for a couple years while I build so the choice made itself.
Its not going to be the exact look I was going for but its close. The buggy would have had the same wheelbase, just be about 6" lower.

Drivers side matches the other

I am going to have to take the 4.5 inches out of the drivers side headers so the tire will clear them. Thanks Ford......

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Im still 90% undecided on this to...

Windshield?????

Or no windshield

What Im pretty sure Im going to do is just removable lexan panels in between the cage. Personally I dont really need a windsield but the one trip my wife went with me last year after I rolled and destroyed my Scout II windshield (I just yanked the frame) she hated it. Ive got to keep her happy so thats why the removable lexan.

I like the look of the 80 frame but the next time I roll, It will be junk and Im not going to keep replacing them.

What says Pirate?

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
with the frame all in it was time to push the axle forward.

before

5" forward

Everything cleared as I planned. This makes my wheelbase 128ish...

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
Now remember......Im doing this with little to no money so I have to get creative sometimes.

I didnt want to buy new link material and tube adapters for the heims....but, I moved the axle forward so the links need to be longer now.

I looked thru my metal pile and I had some 2" tube. It has a id of 1.75" which what my upper links are. They are 1/4 wall.

So I chopped my links in half, and slid them inside the 2" tube. I cut a scrap piece of 1.75 tube to fill the gap and welded them all together.

I forgot to get a pic of the filler piece but its in there. So now my uppers are essentially 3/8" wall. Should hold I would think.

And I got the uppers installed

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
As for my lower links. Im going to be doing almost the same to them as I did to the uppers.

My tube was 2" with 1/2" wall. I have the ends drilled and tapped for my heims.

I bought some odd size tube for my rear 4 link. Its 2.5"od and 7/16" wall. I bought it because they basically gave it to me. 2 16' sticks for $55 bucks. I couldnt pass. So anyway I have enough of that for the front suspension still. But my old links dont fit inside of them. So Im going to have them machined down to fit.

I have bashed the rear links pretty hard and they are holding up great. So with the sleeves up front, they should be hella stout. Weak link will be my heims.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109153
I did manage to blow up my plasma cutter so my days plans got changed. I decided to dink with a few small things.

I got the throtle cable hooked up to the pedal and started playing with the grille.

I got a KILLER deal on these Lightforce lights so I decided they need to go in place of the old halogens.

After welding on just a flat plate I could tell the lights were going to jiggle. I couldnt think of a nice was to gusset it so this is what I came up with.

Just a couple pieces of 1/4 solid rod bent and welded into place

I also trimmed down the center material of the grille to fit. Gotta love the blinging IH symbol

Im happy with it. Just got to finish welding the 2 halfs together and get to work with a flap disk.

This takes the build up to real time. So pics will be posted as I progress now. I should have my old lower links back from the machine shop tomorrow so thats the next step.

Hopefully I will have my plasma cutter back from the shop on monday

Quote:
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
cool stuff. keep the windshield.

PM me for CPR/First Aid Instruction for you club

Last edited by plug ugly; 01-21-2011 at 10:28 AM.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote