Pirate 4x4 banner

Weekend report 7/16-17

5K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  guidolyons 
#1 ·
Looked at some junk iron(cummins powered :smokin: )

Had my picture taken

How Uglyscout figures out performance

This guy used a different calculator

I finally drug home my trailer. Project # eleventy hundred.

And picked up this hog. Should make my life easier. I'll manage until I can get a nice Cub Cadet.

All in all a great weekend. How say you?

See less See more
#5 ·
Spent the last 1/2 of the week at Lake Chelan, right on the beach. Sun, pool, boat, golf, go-carts... but I'm smart, no sunburn :D

Came home to the rain. Tried again to sell my trailer today, even made a set of ramps for it (which I should have done like 6 years ago :rolleyes:) guys that looked at it (again) seem interests, but I think know nothing about trailers, so every little thing is a big deal to them (rear brakes don't hit as hard as the front ones... in the wet, empty... 'whats up with that', one turn doesn't work even though the running light does... 'whats up with that'. I hate selling shit sometimes.

Walked by the scout (again) and the buggy. Made my pre-requisite "vroom vrooom" noises and tried to tick off more other projects taking priority (perpetual bathroom remodel now in home stretch, primer coat on after texture before I left, flooring cut and laid out, installed shower light only to find I had wrong bulb, now she can pick color and I can finish out!!)

#7 ·
Went to Houston with the girlfriend to hang with her family. Saw the new Harry Potter at the Alamo Draft House in Katy. Went to the shooting range with Halogrinder this morning where his .22 conversion kit fired out of battery and lodged a bullet in the barrel. My girlfriend also managed to sneak this crap on the back of my truck without me noticing.

#9 ·
Went over to the Big Island of Hawaii for a few days, did a little light hiking (waterfalls), hiked the Kilauea Iki crater (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park) and went to the top of Mauna Kea (13,796ft, highest point in Hawaii). It's crazy to go from sunny and warm sea level, to cold (47* F) 13,796ft in about 2 hours.

Sunset on Mauna Kea
Sky Sunrise Horizon Morning Sunset

Sky Horizon Sunset Sunrise Atmospheric phenomenon

Watch out for invisible cows!

Signage Font Sign Label

Kilauea Caldera at night (the lava lake is about 400 feet below the bottom of the crater) There wasn't any active lava flow though.

Geological phenomenon Volcano Types of volcanic eruptions Volcanic landform Heat

#11 · (Edited)
A little on the Scout - New Softopper (GREAT quality, price, and super easy installation) and started getting the flares put on.

But more importantly, I placed well enough in my first competition to qualify for the National level, and my first National show is in Vegas in 2 weeks! I know you dudes don't wanna see this, but tough shit :flipoff2:

and hey, I am from this, so I'm happy either way.

#12 · (Edited)
Went to Binder Bee like all the other northwesterners. Talked with Binderbound - saw a few new trucks and scouts. Didn't meet anybody new or old - as I wasn't there for long. I did take my (wifes) 1975 IH push mower and entered that in the show :D

I did walk around and show off my "Truck Perfomance Calculator" - it is the real deal made by some slide rule company way back in the day. IH and performance in the same sentence always brings out the laughs.

Sunday I traded some dude my ghetto 17's that came with my duramax for a set of stock GM 16" alloys. Much more my style. And the ride improved 100% just pulling the tires in 2".

#15 ·
Spent Friday and Saturday at the Binder Bee, talking to some old friends, meeting some new friends, and checking out some really cool old junk. Korlach, Skinny Peddle, and rgwestra I hope to see you guys at Naches. Sunday I went to the coast and ate clam chowder.

A few other pictures from the show.

#16 ·
Second one down!

Second wedding in 28 days and the wedding summer is officially over. I know Daughter #3 won't be getting married this summer. Her boy is in the middle of Afganistan, in the middle of his deployment.

The oudoor venure that took 12 hours to set up was moved under a patio cover by all 105 of the guests in 5 mintues when something more than "light sprinkles" douched the wedding. :eek:

It is now time to look at the Scouts again. :D

And one last thing for our boys...

#18 ·
I wheeled! (with the local BABs guys)

We had a good time...

Friday made it all the way through Slick Rock to Lake Alpine.
There were lots of snowbanks near the end & it took us 1+ hours to the last 1/2 mile (winch fest).
I made it through no problem, but a few other rigs needed some pulling now & then. (I did 2 when I went back to help them).

Saturday we hit Deer Valley, we made it to the top/summit, but it was way worse.
Not knowing how much further/more snow there was, we turned around & camped late afternoon before the snow.
Later that evening (dusk) 2 Jeeps (guys were out from Michigan) came into camp from Blue Lakes & said that we turned around about 300 yards short of the end of the snow. They were the first guys to make it all the way through this year.

Pulling a stuck Toyota free on Deer Valley:

Snow at top of SlickRock:

Had my first official flop (never ended on my side though.. it was on the cage) in the snow on Deer Valley:

More photos here:
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/mochamike/Wheeling/SlickRock Deer Valley 0711/
PSWD: "IHONLY"

#19 ·
Made it to my first Binder Bee, and it was freakin awesome to get to talk to a lot of you guys in person that I have been talking to on forums for a couple of years.

Skinny Pedal had a great day on Saturday. Seemed like everyone was interested in the HID conversions and/or rock light kits. I did have the Chicken Shit mobile on display ;p

Got to talk to Monty and Dboy a bit and brought up the possability of getting together here for some Idaho style rocks

#23 ·
Was part of the crew working on opening the Spanish Lake trail. Didn't get it open,too many trees and snow at the top. We left 17 trees uncleared before the snow and I tried to walk to the end. There was snow up to 5 feet deep,some patchy areas and other areas with snow as far as I could see in any direction. The snow was between 8,500 and 9,100 feet elevation. I had started down into the saddle where the trail ends and there was so much snow ahead that I couldn't tell where the trail went. It took 1 hour to walk back down to where we stopped clearing.

Stayed one night on the trail with friends,cooked over the fire,chatted ,etc. My son got to shoot an AR-15,made his day.

The event I planned on getting the video I promised at was the same weekend,so no video. Working on getting trails open comes before play for me.

#26 ·
I inherited a cuckoo clock. I need to find one of the weights and the pendulum to see if it still works. I'd also like to know the history on it, who made it, what its worth, etc. I saw one almost identical on ebay with a $20 bid and less than 3 hours left, so im not optimistic on its value other than it having hung in my grandparents house since it was new in '73 (I believe)

Lost the belt tensioner in my Fiero, so I had to take the girl down to Indy on the Buell. :( what's worse is a new tensioner is going to run me $74 + tax, and its got coolant passages that run through it. (3800sc)

Also set up a fish tank with Spongebob decorations.

#27 ·
Went to Yakima, WA for 20 year High School reunion with the wife and two boys.

Pulled the starter out of the tow rig that died on the side of the road...and had to be flat bed towed....1 mile.:shaking:

Flirted with meeting with BenW to look at his rims/tires. Still looking at picking them up but they might be a bit "tall" for my gearing (which already sucks).

Yesterday put a new starter in the shit box tow rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.