Any Fraser Island 'wheelin tips from the Aussies? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > International
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 138075
Any Fraser Island 'wheelin tips from the Aussies?

I depart for Aus next week to meet the girlfriend who is currently living in Brisbane. We have a few road trips planned but specifically wanted to inquire with the crowd here to see if anyone had experience driving over to and around Fraser Island? terrain, tools, gear req'd, areas to watch out for this time of year ect.

Headed here:
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fra...island-map.pdf

..and making the cross from Hervey Bay to Kingfisher Bay in her bone stock '96 Daihatsu Terios (4wd of course).

I'm from Victoria BC Canada and do have plenty of experience - Drive a Ram 2500 CTD with H1 beadlocks + 37's for firewood and backroads and wheel in a 1ton CJ on 39's, but the terrain around here is wet rocks, forest trails and snow wheeling not much in the way of sand and beaches (that we are able to drive on anyway).

Any insight helps. Thanks
klark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 228199
I live about an hour from Fraser, have been there many times since the 70's, last time was several years ago, it gets a bit crowded for my liking now.

Not sure what sand driving experience you have, what vehicle you will be driving or which part you will be visiting, but, travel on the island is very much governed by the tide, big tides will see the beach in some sections almost disappear, some areas have very soft sand which may require tyre pressures down to 15psi or even lower but you need to be very careful not to roll the tyre off the rim at these low pressures. A small compressor is a good idea because when you move onto inland tracks you want to have higher pressures again.

Queensland road rules (including .05 blood alcohol limit) are still law on the beaches and tracks so be careful there. You won't need a winch but snatchem straps (and knowledge of where to hook them up to on the vehicle) etc are a good idea as well.

Fraser is gods own country, never know what you will see there, sometimes sharks in the surf gutters, dingoes on the beach, the occasional whale and very very good fishing.

There are good camping grounds such as Waddy Point etc. You will also need to get a permit, these can be gotten on the net or at Rainbow Beach, which is the jumping off point to Fraser.

If I can be of any help let me know.
geeyoutoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 138075
Probably too many Canadians coming down to crowd up your home terrain eh!

That's good info, thanks. It sounds like I'm mostly on the right track then... basic tools and recovery gear, air source, maps + tide charts and we should be okay to get around over there safely. As I mentioned its a stock vehicle so the hardware is not quite as well built as I'm used to but I think it should be fun getting the most out of the little 4by... and I think my experience is mostly transferable to the unfamiliar terrain. I have bombed around the desert in california a bit but I was more concerned about the transition from wet to dry sand

I will need to make a few stops to pick up the required gear, is there a recommended store to look for where I can pick up the basics? I'm coming up from Ipswich so anywhere around Brisbane would work great.

And I will be sure to abide by the rules of the road but a full cooler is definitely planned, any local advice on choice of beers is also welcome!

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 228199
No problem glad we could help. You mention the transition from wet to dry sand, this can be problematic when you enter a beach on soft, dry torn up sand where you need to air down to get through and then get to the hard sand available at low tide where you may be able to do the maximum speed limit of 80kph (50mph).

The result can be overheated sidewalls from the constant flex, remembering that some of the stretches of beach on Fraser are quite long, the main beach is around 70k long and above Indian head on Orchid Beach to the Cape is around 40k from memory. The whole Island is 120k long by around 18k wide at its maximum point.

Many of the inland tracks can have tree roots jutting out, these are traps for tyres with too little air in them, so a compressor is very much worth the effort.

There are many 4x4 outlets around, TJM, Opposite Lock, ARB, but the prices will be a at a premium, there is another one called Ironman which you will be able to find online and they have reasonable gear, another online is Tigerz11 ( www.tigerz11.com.au ) they have reasonable choices on line and you may be able to have gear delivered to an address you know of here in Oz.

Sorry I missed your jump off point in original thread (I had a hard day), Hervey Bay to Kingfisher is a longer ferry trip and cuts out the first part of Fraser Island so that trip is a little easier.

While your there go to places like Central Station, a forest with many Cedar Trees (someone forgot to tell these huge tress that nothing is supposed to grow in sand). Also Lake Wobby (the disappearing green lake) and Lake McKenzie (blue lake).

If you do get to the top of the Island the most challenging spot up north is Ngkala Rocks where you come off the the beach to go around a small headland then drop back onto the beach in amongst large pieces of coffee rock, the tides and water movement has caught many people out over the years.

You will love it, one of the great parts of Australia.

EDIT, forgot the most important part, XXXX Gold is a great cooler filler.

Last edited by geeyoutoo; 09-14-2012 at 04:45 PM.
geeyoutoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 138075
haha perfect... I now have ALL the bases covered, Very much appreciated.

Really looking forward to the trip... one more week + the 15hr flight!

cheers.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 227407
stick to the wet sand ,,mostly n,the inside tracks are great for exploring ,but keep a eye out for oncoming vehicles .camping is great but remember as written before all roads are legal so speeding drink driving etc.is a no no //gods country have a great trip ,remember to get a permit ..the information hut at gympie has them
kim-joshy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 228633
As for the drinks xxxx gold is ok but try bundaburg rum and cola is great drink and so australian it comes in a mid strenth so you can have a couple and stay under the limit you will love fraser its an awesome place and the terios will go well over there as they are a light vehicle so dont sink into the sand to much and dont forget a camera you will love all the sites to be seen.

Last edited by bargie1; 09-20-2012 at 04:46 AM.
bargie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 138075
Yeah I've been reading up on the terios and was thinking it would work pretty well... good to have some confirmation of that from someone who's actually seen one!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 225311
The Terios is not much bigger than a Suzuki Sierra (i think you guys call them Samurai) Nice and light you will probably find you wont have to let the tyres down. I drove a stock toyota hilux (tacoma) around Fraser without even letting the tyres down.
Momentum is what will get you from the hard packed beach to the inside tracks, dont back off till you are stuck, there is always someone around to pull you out(its not a trip to Fraser if you haven't been pulled out of the sand or helped someone else out).
If the ruts are deep drive slightly up on the walls of the rut and keep your speed up.
Make sure you see the lakes they are crystal clear and the sand is white.
Dingo's are there and are cheeky, DONT FEED THEM, and if you dont camp in an enclosure don't leave food out or your shoes they will steal them.
Enjoy your trip Fraser Island is a great spot.

Last edited by dover75; 09-28-2012 at 05:57 AM.
dover75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 297130
Quote:
Originally Posted by klark View Post
Yeah I've been reading up on the terios and was thinking it would work pretty well... good to have some confirmation of that from someone who's actually seen one!
Well It seems you have got pretty good advice from most of this lot about beach driving, If you are serious, buy a Jeep Cherokee, cheap, powerful, plenty of room and plenty reliable, if you have deep pockets, then go a land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol, they are nowhere near the bang for your buck, but mechanics everywhere know how to fix them, and you can literally find parts on the side of the road!
Unroadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.