Peru Chile Argentina Boliva - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > International
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Slacker

Member # 13788
Peru Chile Argentina Boliva

I would like to travel S. America in my Ram-2500. I have seen a few Dodges in S. America so parts availability should not be a problem. Is this a crazy idea?
Attached Images

DonPato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
There were a few of us that wanted to exactly that for Dakar. But we didn't end up doing it. Would you be planning on trying to cross the Darien Gap?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 66999
Yes, there are a lot of Dodge parts and dealers in South and Central america. It all depends on how far do you want to go.
abelsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11372
Dodges are fairly rare in Brasil. Dakotas were manufactured here for a few years, but the factory has since closed. Rams are imported, but are very rare....
Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1056
I just got back from Chile. I was there for a few weeks. I saw some newer Dodges, and spoke to a guy that had a modified one. He said they were pretty common. That is just what he said, although his family owns a large tire chain so he should know something.

FWIW-ROB
ToyotaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 66999
By the way, if you ever come to Central america, you will be our guest at http://www.clubmerendon4x4.com/
Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 128703
Yeah ....
I agree with the Billj ... This is more than the RAM Dakota old ....
Parts can even be ... But is hard!
Ps-Dakota was produced in 99 to 2002 + - All in 4x2!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slacker

Member # 13788
Thanks for the imput. I plan to fly to Peru in a few weeks then travel by bus to Chile. I will be on the look-out for 4x4s.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 90866
Thumbs up Darian Gap

Did someone say the DARIAN GAP???

LANCE, I'm in, I can help translate and negociate with the rebels

The Darien Gap of Panama and Colombia is a most worthy opponent, a motorist's nightmare - or an off-road adventurer's dream. The roadless Darien Gap is over 125 miles of thick jungles, tortuous rivers, low but rugged mountains, and a vast marshy swamp that separates Panama from South America. The Pan-American Highway stretches some 17,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina, and is yet to be completed across the Darien Gap.

CHECK OUT THIS STORY - OPRIMA AQUI PARA LEER ESTA AVENTURA

DON PATO, suerte con tu viaje, que te la pases de lujo

FIA WRC® MEXICO #62 CLASE A6

KING OF THE HAMMERS® LCQ #44 TEAM MEXICO

“Don't always walk on the smooth roads, walk ways that no one has traveled before, so as to leave behind traces and not only dust…”
[/b]

Last edited by MXRRA®; 02-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.
MXRRA® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slacker

Member # 13788
THE DARIAN GAP

That passage is way beyond my skill level. I would ship my truck from Los Angeles to Peru, the quote was 2000 usd.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 100993
Send a message via MSN to riberware
You can get your car shipped from Panama to a safe south American country... because of the violence levels skip Colombia and Venezuela...

The Darien GAP can't be crossed in a 4wd vehicle, only by foot...unless you have a whole army helping you like Land Rover had when they did it... BTW, on these times I wouldn't recommend getting even close to Darien....you can get your ass killed or kipnapped by the FARC (Colombian guerrilla)

for more info@ www.4x4panama.com
[B]1983 Jeep CJ7[/B]:[SIZE="1"] CUCVaxles, 43"TSL/SX, 17" KMC beadlocks, ARB front, Detroit rear, 4.56ratio, D300 w/32spline outputs+1410 yokes, NP435 Granny, Chevy 383 stroker, Warn M8274+Warn M8000 rear, etc[/SIZE]

[B]1998 HDJ-80 LandCruiser[/B]: [SIZE="1"]37" MTR tires,17" Enkei wheels,4.88ratio,1HD-T Engine,snorkel, 4" OME lift[/SIZE]
riberware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
The Gap is frequented by Four Wheel drive (4WD) and other vehicles that attempt intercontinental journeys. The first post-Colonial expedition to the Darien was the Marsh Darien Expedition[1] in 1924/25, supported by several major sponsors including the Smithsonian.

The first successful vehicular crossing of the Gap itself was by the Land Rover La Cucaracha Cariñosa (The Affectionate Cockroach) and a Jeep of the Trans-Darién Expedition 1959-60, crewed by Amado Araúz (Panama), his wife Reina Torres de Araúz, former SAS man Richard E. Bevir (UK), and engineer Terence John Whitfield (Australia)[2]. They left Chepo, Panama on 2 February 1960 and reached Quibdó, Colombia on 17 June 1960, averaging 201 m (220 yd) per hour over 136 days. They travelled a great deal of the distance up the vast Atrato River.

In December 1960 on a motorcycle trip from Alaska to Argentina Danny Liska[3] transited the Darien Gap from Panama to Colombia.[4] On the trip across the Gap, Liska was forced to abandon his motorcycle and proceed by boat and foot. 1962 saw a failed attempt by General Motors with a team of Chevrolet Corvairs supported by a a bulldozer and a fuel truck.

A Range Rover on the British Trans-Americas Expedition in 1972 led by John Blashford-Snell is claimed to be the first vehicle-based expedition to traverse both American continents north-to-south through the Darién Gap. However, this expedition used boats to bypass the Atrato Swamp in Colombia which lies on the 'direct' Trans-Americas route and received substantial support from the British Army. "The Hundred Days Of Darien", a book written by Russell Braddon in 1974, chronicles this expedition.

The first fully overland wheeled crossing (others used boats for some sections) of the Gap was that of British cyclist Ian Hibell who rode from Cape Horn to Alaska between 1971 and 1973. Hibell took the 'direct' overland south-to-north route including an overland crossing of the Atrato Swamp in Colombia. Hibell completed his crossing accompanied across the Gap by two New Zealand cycling companions who had ridden with him from Cape Horn, but neither of these continued with Hibell on to Alaska. Hibell's 'Cape Horn to Alaska' expedition forms part of his 1984 book Into the Remote Places.

The first motorcycle crossing was by Robert L. Webb in March 1975. Another four wheel drive crossing was in 1978-1979 by Mark A Smith and his team. Smith and his team drove the 400 km (250 mile) stretch of the gap in 30 days using five stock Jeep CJ-7s. They travelled many miles up the Atrato River via barges. Mark Smith has released his book Driven by a Dream, which documents the crossing.

The first all-land auto crossing was in 1985-1987 by Loren Upton in a CJ-5 Jeep, 741 days to travel 125 miles (201 km) all on land. This crossing is documented in the 1992 Guinness Book of Records. In addition Upton returned in 1995 and became the first to drive a motorcycle, a two-wheel drive Rokon motorcycle, all on land through the Darien Gap, 49 days.

Mark Smith, aka: the father of the Jeep Jamboree, lives up here in Georgetown. I've read his book, it was a fascinating journey through the Darien Gap. I'd love to do it someday, and would in a heartbeat if I thought I could attempt it without getting shot. A couple of the Jeeps that made it through the Gap still motor around town here. They are still all stickered up with their Darien Gap stickers, etc. Super cool.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Slacker

Member # 13788
I am in peru

I took the easy way and flew to Peru. I saw one dodge dakota. Interesting diesel seems to be the engine of preferance in S.America and propane is used to power a lot of the Taxis.

I will post pictures soon. The military has some nice rigs.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 90866
South America

Lance y Don Pato,

I met some fellas at the EXTREME RALLY FUN RACE VENEZUELA that would also like to go on the voyage

FIA WRC® MEXICO #62 CLASE A6

KING OF THE HAMMERS® LCQ #44 TEAM MEXICO

“Don't always walk on the smooth roads, walk ways that no one has traveled before, so as to leave behind traces and not only dust…”
[/b]
MXRRA® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 14936
Look at

www.twistedandes.com

You will find plenty of help here. We have a forum set up for the Dakkar.

Just type in English ...no worries for the Spanish

And yes spare parts for Dogde and Chevy are not of an issuse , Ford ...kinda expensive..
pcelle is offline   Reply With Quote