Stupid questions from a new owner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Stupid questions from a new owner

I just picked up a 96 Trooper and have some stupid questions.
1. is there anywhere that is a go-to place for replacement parts like headlight glass or turn signal lenses?
2. I've read lots of FAQ entries from various places and I haven't seen anything about oil capacities and types. Is there a simple chart for engine oil? manual transmission capacity? transfer case? diffs (front/rear)?
3. I've got a 5-speed and the shifter is really loose, are there any tips for tightening like replacement bushings?
4. I see a lot of trooper threads discussing a third row, typically rear facing, is there a preferred source for these? Something like a mini-van or jeep/suzuki rear seats?

So far I've been impressed with my Trooper, for having over 200k and picking it up cheap it's surprisingly solid, I'm hoping to have it ready to go to Moab in April to see what it can do.

Thanks
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 210970
Basically, drain rear, fill until it comes out, you're done. on the front, its the same. The drain bolt on the front is a 12mm at the 5 o'clock position when looking from the rear of the vehicle, you need to probe the hole most likely with a screw driver, I just did this last weekend.

as for spare parts... ebay, or an isuzu trooper forum, as I have a Vehicross, I'm not too sure on the site.

Last edited by takentolightly; 02-07-2012 at 09:57 PM.
takentolightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20752
I just picked up a 96 Trooper and have some stupid questions.
1. is there anywhere that is a go-to place for replacement parts like headlight glass or turn signal lenses?

Try car-part.com, searches salvage yards for you. You can try Certifit, not sure if they cover an old Trooper. Also a forum like Planet Isuzoo, sometimes guys part out vehicles.

2. I've read lots of FAQ entries from various places and I haven't seen anything about oil capacities and types. Is there a simple chart for engine oil? manual transmission capacity? transfer case? diffs (front/rear)?
I take it you don't have an owners manual? Going from memory (rough numbers), engine 5 quarts 5W30, manual tranny 3.1 qts 5W30, transfer case ~1.5 qts 5W30, rear diff 1.8 qts gear oil, front diff 1.3 qts gear oil. Both the tranny and t-case are like the diffs where you fill till it runs out the fill hole. I use a garden sprayer to pump oil into the fill holes.

3. I've got a 5-speed and the shifter is really loose, are there any tips for tightening like replacement bushings?

Go to Planet Isuzoo forum and PM Jerry "JLEMOND", he had some of those bushings made, I think he charges $8 for 'em.

So far I've been impressed with my Trooper, for having over 200k and picking it up cheap it's surprisingly solid, I'm hoping to have it ready to go to Moab in April to see what it can do.
There is an Isuzu gathering in Moab in May, always the third weekend and week preceding. I will be arriving there on the 12th. All are welcome.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Thanks for the suggestions, have the day off today so I've been out changing oils, I think the rear diff hasn't ever been changed.

So on the front is the drain on the 3rd member or in the cast part of the diff?

I didn't get an owners manual with the trooper so I'm relying on internet wisdom for a lot of these questions.

I'll have to see what happens in May, I'm already going to Moab early April then again on May 4th so the following weekend might be tough to swing.

and just for your viewing pleasure some tasty 90W

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20752
Yeesh, did some water get in there?

The front diff drain is at about 5 O'clock on the third member (facing the rear). As mentioned, sometimes it is plugged up by RTV and requires a poke to drain.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Yeesh, did some water get in there?

The front diff drain is at about 5 O'clock on the third member (facing the rear). As mentioned, sometimes it is plugged up by RTV and requires a poke to drain.
Got it finally, I thought that was just a bolt to hold on the 3rd member.

It looks like water on the rear, the front looks more gray like I would expect. I'll probably drive around for a few weeks then change the diff oil again.

Next question, the 4wd indicator light doesn't light up when I shift to 4wd in high or low. Is that just a connector on the transfer case or something else? It glows green when I put the key in to start it up.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 42503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Next question, the 4wd indicator light doesn't light up when I shift to 4wd in high or low. Is that just a connector on the transfer case or something else? It glows green when I put the key in to start it up.
I found some wires that look like they are cut on the front axle by a round cylinder could that be what triggers the light?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20752
I think 96 has shift-on-the-fly...sounds like the SOTF actuator. Which I don't know a lot about, having had a 93 and a 95. I think there is a way to lock the actuator so the 4WD system acts like the older non-SOTF systems, don't remember the details. Perhaps a previous owner did that.