New to Isuzu and Pirate 4x4 (have a few questions) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 217327
New to Isuzu and Pirate 4x4 (have a few questions)

First off I would like to say what a cool site this is.

A bit about me:

My name is Jeff and I live in Elizabeth City NC. for the past 12 years or so I have been building performance Nissans mainly sticking to the S13/S14 240sx and older S12 RWD 200sx. I just sold my 240sx and found this forum in search of my new hobby (off roading)!

I came across a listing on craigslist in my area for a 1995 4x4 Isuzu rodeo (3.2) in VERY good condition,99K on a jasper engine (200K+ on the body), all service records, new tires all around, trailer hitch, etc.

The bad, it has a heater core that needs to be replaced (from what my buddy tells me it requires taking out the entire dash board, that sucks) and it has 2 power windows that need new motors (I'm auto electric inclined =P).

The asking price is 700$ US and drive it away as it is a dependable truck.

Here is my dilemma...

I love the style of the Isuzu trooper and all of the really cool offroad trucks I see are either Amigos or Troopers.

Questions:
Does this mean the Rodeo sucks?
Is it capable of handling swamps? (I hunt so it would mainly be used for swamp trails)
Is the 3.2 V6 a decently strong engine when in 4 low?

There seems to be a good amount of aftermarket support for the rodeo.

Here are a few pics of the Rodeo I may be buying!

If nothing else does it seem like a good deal for 700$ ???

Thanks in advance!
OBX Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80727
Isuzu shit is isuzu shit.

3.2 is the same motor from early 2nd gen troopers. Theres nothing wrong with rodeos but it all depends on what you want to do. Dont expect to get tires bigger than 33s under it reliably.

Once you get bit by the offroading bug (usually takes a trip out) you're going to want to make your shit better and most likely bigger and more capable.

Solid front axle swaps, re-gearing the axles, lockers, skids, bumpers, winch for self recovery and the list goes on. You'll find yourself wanting $10,000 worth of shit for your $700 truck all of the sudden

My suggestion would be to grab it. Any foundation for $700 is a good foundation.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 217327
Thanks for the reply, I think I will pick this up, like you said it's hard to beat a platform for 700 bux...

I don't really need bigger, I figure 31's with a 1.5 inch lift for now will get me through the swamp trails.

The issue with trucks in my area is that full size trucks dont fit well on these narrow bog style hunting trails, hence why I figured I would go with a smaller truck like the Rodeo (though I still think the Trooper would be better suited). If 33's is all I can get under it I'm pretty sure that will be enough.

Thanks for the info!

PS. I completely understand the bug. My 89 240sx (my baby) cost me 400 bux when I bought it in 2002, I ended up with a total of 14,000 invested in her after 10 years of owning it. Boosting isnt cheap nor is a true JDM pro comp suspension =P

Last edited by OBX Jeff; 04-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 106813
Send a message via AIM to Stuntopts Send a message via MSN to Stuntopts Send a message via Yahoo to Stuntopts
The American made Rodeo (versus the Japan made Trooper) is a VERY underrated vehicle and can be made trail capable for fairly cheap (if you have the right skillset/ knowledge/ connections, etc...). For a 4x4 under $1K? Hell yes, go for it! I have 2 of them (had 3) a 2WD and a 4WD and love them both (converting the 2WD to straight axle and 4WD). It's ok to keep the stock engine, just give it good maintenance and don't let the ticking that eventually evolves bother you... good luck, enjoy, and the truck in the pic looks to be in nice shape.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 217327
I guess it wasn't meant to be, someone bought the truck last night before I could get out there (was going this morning) =(

Back on the hunt, though I doubt it will be an Isuzu looking more like a Dodge dakota or Toyota pickup, both @ 1000 bux =(....

I think I missed out on that deal.

I appreciate the info though guys thanks again!

Last edited by OBX Jeff; 04-25-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.