well... post some Isuzu pics already.. come awn! - Page 17 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #401 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhockey29 View Post
ok cool, ill check out that site as well.

the SAS is not happening any time soon. realistically, id like to get this inspected/registered, and DD it/wheel it while the ramcharger gets a 12valve, 5 speed, and w250 suspension plus a lift. then, go back and DD/wheel the ramcharger while the trooper gets a SAS and maybe some lockers. whats the size limit yall run on these with stock drivetrain? im thinking 35's are as big as i want to go, maybe trim the fenders some for more flex room? if yall have any ideas on cheap mods or the like id love to hear them

largest tire with stock axles and everything? 35's is the typical max I see Trooper guys run just because of the IFS limiting the front end (the 12 bolt rear axle is quite strong). I'd just trim the fenders a bit, maybe add a coil spacer in rear and crank the front a tad just to give you a little more ground clearance but if you keep it stock height your CV angles will be better. If you have welding capabilities or someone that can you can drop your front axle and make some brackets to lower it down to correct CV angles after cranking the front up. It'll make your CV's last longer if you do a suspension lift.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #402 (permalink)

Member # 185323
i can weld, although im not sure id trust myself welding axle mounts. biggest ive done so far is some leaf spring hangers. sorry for all the questions, im relatively new at 4x4's(just turned 20) and my life goal is to never have a car or truck in the shop, so i do everything myself even if it takes longer.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #403 (permalink)

Member # 124902
If you can do the leaf spring hangers you could do the front axle mounts. There is no real "strain" on the axle itself since the CV moves up and down on each side so it's not like a solid axle:

Old 04-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #404 (permalink)

Member # 185323
so, just cut them out like in the picture, drop them down, add a piece above, and reweld? yea i could definitely do that
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #405 (permalink)

Member # 124902
That's exactly how you do it. Keep the drop to a max of 2" though, the CV will contact the lower contorl arm if you go much more.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #406 (permalink)

Member # 185323
should it be relative to my lift? I.E. cranking my T-bars 1.5" = 1.5" drop? or just no more then 2"?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #407 (permalink)

Member # 124902
no more than 2" no matter how high you go. Honestly if you were gonna go 1.5 i'd just go up to 2" and call it a day. You could mod your lower control arms for slightly more drop but I wouldn't go that far with it. 2" diff drop would still work well with a 3" lift too.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #408 (permalink)

Member # 185323
alright sweet. im planning on the 1.5" lift in the front so ill just do the full 2". thanks for your help! i was kind of expecting some asshole remarks since my questions arent really hardcore
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #409 (permalink)

Member # 124902
eh won't get any from me, can't speak for everyone else. The 2" drop on teh axe will put the CV's a little lower than stock angle. I was saying you should do the 2" lift, but if your set on 1.5 I would just drop it 1.5 to keep your uptravel angles decent.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #410 (permalink)

Member # 185323
misunderstood then. wasnt thinking everything through. if i can go 2" safely with the axle drop and ball joint flip, ill do 2".
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #411 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Honestly you could do 2" without the balljoint flip but it's easy so why not. Here's some examples from my rigs, none of them babied:

1997 Rodeo, daily driver, hauled my kids for 2 years in it, about 4.25" of lift (ball joint flip up front and tbar crank, add-a-leaf and 3" lift shackle in rear) 33x12.50's:

1999 Vehicross, 3" of lift (OME 912 springs in rear, tbar crank and ball joint flip up front again) DD and baby-mobile for awhile, 285/75 MT's (33x11.50):

1995 Honda Passport (rodeo), about 3.5-4" of lift (tbar crank and BJ flip up front, calmini 2" lift shackle and add-a-leaf) on 34x10.50 swamper LTB's, haven't gotten to wheel this one really yet, still finishing the front end (dropping diff, new ball joints, control arm bushings etc):

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #412 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Oh and here's some pics of my friends Amigo (I just did an auto-to-manual transmission swap in it), 5" of lift, cranked tbars with BJ flip, rear Calmini springs with spacers, 32's, locked, he wheels the crap out of it too. He DOES have Calmini upper control arms but those only help a little:

Old 04-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #413 (permalink)

Member # 68203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhockey29 View Post
alright sweet. im planning on the 1.5" lift in the front so ill just do the full 2". thanks for your help! i was kind of expecting some asshole remarks since my questions arent really hardcore
I think the beauty of this thread is that its not for the hardcore rock crawling boys - they probably don't even know it exists

I would think anyone reading it either has a 'Zu or is interested in them - and so you're unlikely to get crap from anyone. You've got a pretty good looking truck for sweet f. all cash. I'm looking forward to pics of you getting it dirty...

Oh, and as you can see from the last pic of RamAirZ's friends Amigo - the coil back ends can really flex up well... they're a simple yet good design with looong trailing arms and really all that limits them is the rear shocks... get some long ones in there and you can really twist 'em up.

'96 GenII SASed Amigo (MU) - [URL]http://www.4wdstuff.co.nz/mu[/URL]
'92 Late shape Bighorn 7-seater - to be SASed an V8'd
'85 Toy, too many mods to mention
'99 Altezza (The wife won't let me SAS it)

Last edited by kiwi_steve; 04-25-2011 at 12:03 AM.
kiwi_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #414 (permalink)

Member # 185323
Yea I was surprised when I got under it and saw the 3-link rear. The previous owner installed air shocks for towing so I'm sure it doesn't flew all that good right now. I love this thing. Really surprised how nice it drives. If I could find a set of 2" springs for the rear cheap that'd be awesome, Caise I can do everything on the front for free besides the alignment. Also, the brake light is on.. Gotta check the parking brake sensor, brake fluid level, and bleed the brakes. Hopefully that does it so I can pass inspection soon.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #415 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Keep an eye out on the Planetisuzoo classifieds, I picked up my OME 912's for my VX for $100 and they were a month old. Your Trooper will flex better than that Amigo BTW with the 3-link'd rear, check this out (rear sway bar off with OME N85 shocks):

That's with 255/85-16 tires (33x10.50)

Here's another Troop for ya:

And like Kiwi said, most of us Isuzu guys are just into Zu's and pretty easy to get along with. You got a nice truck for a sweet deal and can't wait to see ya get it fixed up a little
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #416 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Having built many different Isuzuís over the years I have come to the conclusion that if you aren't planning on taking on the Hammers or some such trails the IFS will serve you well.
Slap a little lift on the suspension, taller tires, add Tera Lows to the transfer case and lockers (either lunchbox or air lockers) and you will be amazed at the places you can go in almost stock form. Regearing the diffs can be expensive if you have to have super swamper tires and such. 33's to 35's will take you so many places you won't be disappointed. And remember you are wheeling near Texas unless you hit the Lotto. We donít have that many HARD CORE ROCK CLIMBING places near by. All the Famous Hard Core Wheeling places are a long way from here! Why spend all that money for something you'll only be able to afford to do a few times.
My SAS Toy Axled Rodeo has been fun with it Marlin Crawler Transmissions, but had I followed own advice it would still be my daily driver.
Now it's a trailer queen or dang near it.
Wheeling in California, New Mexico and Utah are just too expensive now to be fun.
Clayton, Bridgeport, Barnwell and Uwarrie are still good fun places to go for a fun weekend of wheeling that are reasonably priced. Clayton being one of the closet hard core trail sets near you. Taking a trip to the Rubicon in California is a fun trip, but not something you can do for a weekend with a budget. I like Moab and try to get there for at least a week every couple of years, but my friends with their IFS's are able to follow me trough almost anything there that I attempted with my rig. The Tera Lows with lockers were their secret weapon. Very few places I went that they couldn't. And I have a butt load invested in my Rodeo. Them, not so much!

If you really want to have some fun, go find yourself a 1st Generation Trooper body and swap it over onto the Chassis under that one. Itís almost a bolt on. You'll lose 1000 lbs right off the bat and with some lockers and Tera Lows and suspension cranking you will be unstoppable. Do the diff drops and carry a spare CV joint for hard core wheeling and enjoy your with new toy. You'll have the better diffs and suspension parts. Without all the expense! 1st gens are cheap now especially now that they are getting long in the mileage department. A newer updated running gear will really amaze you on a budget.

I can help you with the diff drops if you don't mind a trip to my shop in Rhome TX. I work cheap BTY. It's a Hobby! Maybe even the body swap, as I have the shop lifts and all the tools to do one.

Trailer Queens just don't make good economic sense in todayís economy unless there is and Apocalypse soon.
Iíve been looking for a deal just like what you found for one of my 1 gen bodies I have.

Something to think about!

SSR
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #417 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Great advice man! For 99% of the wheeling MOST of us see, these trucks will do just fine with the right combo of parts and good driver. I was going to SAS my Passport but decided against it because it's simply not needed where I wheel. That'd be sweet to see teh 1st gen body swap done. I'm actually thinking about an idea for lower gears in the Passport (6.5:1 tcase, mmmmmmmm)
Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #418 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
Great advice man! For 99% of the wheeling MOST of us see, these trucks will do just fine with the right combo of parts and good driver. I was going to SAS my Passport but decided against it because it's simply not needed where I wheel. That'd be sweet to see teh 1st gen body swap done. I'm actually thinking about an idea for lower gears in the Passport (6.5:1 tcase, mmmmmmmm)
I have the Factory Spec Sheets on the frames and the body mounting points are so close it's unreal. Would be so easy to do a full 1 st gen body swap. Plus a creative person could adapt the 1st Gen rear Fuel tank to the new Trooper chassis real easy, since the 1st gen bodies have a spare tire mount on the rear door.
So double tanks with factory skid plate would be almost a no brainer.
Can you tell I've lost sleep dreaming about this swap?

Good call on nixing the SAS on a daily driver. Mine is so soft for the big trails it makes it almost no fun to drive in traffic. But my trips to Rubicon and places west were a blast. But they didn't last, as it was just too expensive to do often. And right now I've gotten a broken R& P in my Toy front axle.

On my first trip to Moab with the Isuzu Guys I was so disapointed in my truck as I had invested over $10K in it's off road stuff and to find an IFS Rodeo in my mirror on all but the most EXTREME trails. What a big let down. I was able to go a few places they couldn't, but not $10K worth of places. And they were always able to find another way around the big honker rock face I found so challenging to go over.

I have 2 SAS'ed Isuzus and they are my last ones. One a Rodeo with a Toy front axle and one 86 Trooper with a Dana 44 Front. My next Isuzu Rig I build will be a 1st gen bodied, Blown 3.5 with TOD Automatic with Tera Lows and lunchbox lockers running 33's and 4:77's on a 3rd gen chassis with 10 bolt and 12 bolt diffs.
Then I'm going to finish my other 86 TD Trooper with a new MUA5 tranny and Tera Lows and 35's setting on an 89 1st Gen Chassis with ARB rear and luchbox up front.

I have to ask. How are you going to get a 6.5:1 T case? Did I miss the memo? I have been out of the loop building motorcycle these last few years! All of my Tera Lows are 3.07:1 and I don't see enough room in that case for anything bigger. You planning on adding a second auto t case? I have one of those too. Just never found a rig to put in it. Doublers are fun, but unpractical unless you're adding a Ditch Witch digging bar on your Isuzu. Or live in Nevada.

I have 6 Isuzus so I guess you could say I'm a big fan of the Brand!

To the OP, I'm jealous! $800 bucks!!!!!!! WOW!

SSR
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #419 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Ya I can tell you've been having fantasies about that build lol. My Passport isn't a DD it's just a toy but even then the SAS isn't needed out here, there isn't anything my VX couldn't do out here. As for the TOD automatic, you'd be losing the TOD to run the tera-low's wouldn't ya. I'm not a fan of TOD anyways, I was going to swap the TOD case in the VX out for a standard one. Sounds like you have some sweet ideas too, on the 6.5:1 case I'm looking at swapping in a 2wd trans and running the divorced Sammy 6.5:1 tcase, I could either run a CV rear shaft to help with the offset case output or swap in a rear Waggy D44 since it is offset. It's just a brainstorming idea right now but I think if I can pull it off it would be sweet. the crawl ratio with 4.30's and 34's would be almost double what 34's with tera-lows and 5.38's would be. I've also been tossing the idea of drpoping in a blown 5.3 into it and even a 6.2 Diesel. Ya it's not the most sought after diesel but they are efficient, get good MPG and are cheap lol

Last edited by RamAirZ; 04-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.
RamAirZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #420 (permalink)

Member # 23507
Way to pollute a picture thread with a bunch of chatter...you guys are just as bad as a bunch of women
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #421 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Thanks RamAir that clears up the gera ratio question I had.

I love the VX's I just ran out of money before I got my hands on one.

The reason for the TOD is it would be my wifes DD.
I have been told by the guy that knows that the TOD can be reprogrammed to work better than a normal Auto Tranny for off road.
Havn't gotten into one yet so I don't know the details completely.
I could have just miss remembered.

I have most of my parts other than the 3rd Gen Trooper.
And I have 2 sets of 5:38's. One set already in some ARB 10/ 12 bolt Diffs, a backup set. Wasn't sure how long they would be on the market so I bought spares. I also have a set of 10/ 12 bolts with 4:77's and Lunchbox's built. Things you do when you've got money!!!!!!

Now that I'm retired I miss that disposable income.

And Obammy & Company arn't helping any either.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #422 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 5587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2350 View Post
Way to pollute a picture thread with a bunch of chatter...you guys are just as bad as a bunch of women
Hey, you can leave and go to your room young man!!!
Bwahaaaaa!
Sides, We're talking possibilities for the Guys Trooper so we are kinds on topic!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #423 (permalink)

Member # 124902
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2350 View Post
and you whine like one
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #424 (permalink)

Member # 185323
my friend is talking shit about how his k5 on 33's and 8" lift is gonna romp me on the trails and in the mud... so we made a deal. when we go this weekend, if i have to pull him out, i get to tag his windows with "recovered by a Jap" for a week. i think hes in for a surprise.

one more question.. on the air intake(stock) the tube that has the screw clamp to the box, i measure and its ID is right at 2.75". thinking about grabbing some spare exhaust pipe in 2.75" and make a snorkel, and just making the stock air intake tube clamp onto it... thoughts?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #425 (permalink)

Member # 124902
The snorkel idea would work. A few guys have done it that way. You could plug the intake hole at the bottom of the box, drill a hole inside the box near the fender and jbweld the pipe in there so you can keep the stock airfilter setup and run the snorkel out the fender. As for your buddy with the K5, I bet you have more ground clearance than he does And if you out-wheel him, take pics. I wheel with alot of Jeep guys out here and the first time I went out with the VX, they were amazed what I made it through that they couldn't, basically I followed the Rubicon everywhere while the standard jeeps were getting stuck all day lol.

Last edited by RamAirZ; 04-25-2011 at 08:46 PM.
RamAirZ is offline   Reply With Quote