pre runner tech - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15939
pre runner tech

Anybody out there run obstical courses? if so how do you get more travel out of the IFS?
Right now im running about 10" in the front and about 12" in the back.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
The only person that comes to mind when talking about prerunners with Isuzus is Bob Land. Do a search out there on the web for him. (he also had developed some headers for the 3.2L Isuzu engine at one time).

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2003, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15939
thanks a bunch!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
i bought the first 4 door trooper sold in the state of california back when they came out.

with the help of steve from cal mini i set it up for pre running.i was racing in class 16 at the time and could not afford a real prerunner so i used my daily driver.i pre ran all of the HDRA races including the mint 400 and all of the SCORE races including the baja 1000 in that rig. it was pretty cool cause i could also sleep in the back of it down in baja.

anyhow it was only mildly build by todays standards but i put thousands of brutal off road miles on it and it held up fairly well.

mods:

sway a way torsion bars
bilstien shocks
custom made ball joints
33 bfg's MT
custom roll cage
hella lights
weber carb
header

we reinforced a few points on the frame and a few brackets but other than that it was only mildly built.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
Re: pre runner tech

Quote:
Originally posted by mepr
Anybody out there run obstical courses? if so how do you get more travel out of the IFS?
Right now im running about 10" in the front and about 12" in the back.
can you go into what you currently have set up?

how you are getting those travel #'s

i've been kicking around some plans for tubular A-arms for the IFS trucks......so i'd be interested in your set up.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17350
Red face Bummer

Bob Land is no longer supported by Isuzu and after repeated e-mails to him I was finally given a link to a "garage"in Cali that is strickly Isuzu.I have e-mailed them many times with no response.It would be nice to get the better travel out of the IFS but the only true way is to swap it out.I'll see if I can dig up the "garage"link I was given.

[url]http://www.MWIOR.com/[/url]
Urban_Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15939
well as far as the rear goes i pulled the overload spring and did a 2.5" shackle lift and chopped the bump stops. Then in the front i put new bushings in the strut bar mounts lifted it using the torsion bars (2") pulled the sway bar and chopped the bump stops. The early IFS Isuzus arent that hard to get travel out of, i was just hoping that someone out there made better A-arms.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
is the truck a 2wd or 4wd?

what year truck are we talking about...there may be a couple other tricks you can try to tweak it.

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Old 06-17-2003, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15939
Its the 80 chevy luv in my sig. Its the same thing as an Isuzu KB (that was the model right before the pup, that i think was only availiable overseas. Inb 81 it became the pup)
Old 06-19-2003, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Re: Bummer

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban_Assault
Bob Land is no longer supported by Isuzu and after repeated e-mails to him I was finally given a link to a "garage"in Cali that is strickly Isuzu.I have e-mailed them many times with no response.It would be nice to get the better travel out of the IFS but the only true way is to swap it out.I'll see if I can dig up the "garage"link I was given.
Well, if you like, the guy that built all of his Isuzu baja racers is just around the corner from my office. Scott, the owner/fabricator, does amazing work. I enjoy stopping by his shop to see what new project he has going. He gets some very high end hot rods (mostly exhaust work), and open desert race vehicles.

On the Isuzus, he was given brand new stock vehicles, and built them to class rules. They werre campaigned for a year or two in a class where they were pretty much guaranteed a win. The owner of the Isuzus (was is Land?) then decided to get into a tougher class with some chevy hardware. Seems he has not even placed in a race since.

Suspension modifications for that class was limited, but he did get as much as he could out of the Amigo and Vehicrosses he built. As I recall, the front CV joints looked to be at a pretty nasty angle. When I asked about it, he said that they were going to be replaced after each race. Seems the plan worked as they never failed in a race, but were pretty much toast at the end of the race.

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
funny story about Land.......he actually called me about a year ago Looking to sell the "Pike's Peak" race winning Amigo.

it had a one off tight shifting trans built for racing up hill, full cage, one off headers for the 3.2L etc.....the red and green one.

he was looking sell it to me for 10K i think it was a '99 (IIRC)

anyway i was living in NYC and he was in CA....so would have been too difficult to deal w/ the sale.

could have been a cool platform to build off of ...........not sure where that truck ended up

Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 183339
Anyonemake kits for my truck

I have a 94 isuzu pickuo 2wd, ranchos sll around removed overload spring and cranked torsion bars a little, got 15 inch black aluminum wheels with goodyear wranglers 235/75/15"s, cut my bed got a reaching harness inside , prerunner front bumper, removed front away bar...i think that's it lol....so anyone have advice to get more travel? Thanks in advance
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 162217
digging in the thread graveyard are we?
Ivy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 183339
lol...

yeah actually i didnt even look at the date lol, i was on my phone internet lol