Back to the dawning board - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19144
Question Back to the drawning board

Well first off let me tell you what I was going to do. I bought a 1995 cevy blaser for the running gear. It has the vortech 4.3 in it. I thought it had the 700r4 however it does not. It has the new replacement for the 700r4. or so I have been told. Now What should I be looking for. I found some sm420 and some 400 autos. i would pefer to have an auto but nothing is set in stone. I wanted to put the dana 300 behind it with the tere lows and twin stick it.
What do yah'll feel that would work, coast the least and hold up?
I do want to gear it low and twin stick the transfer case. but is there not a transfer case that would bolt up to a cevy trans without haveing to buy an adaptor?

Later,
Daniel

P.S.

Last edited by trooper4life; 06-19-2003 at 07:20 PM.
trooper4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
you have to pick a motor.

If you are set on the 4.3L........then you can decide. either way, the 4.3L or 5.7L are both 90* bell housing motors....so really i guess i'm saying if you are set on a 90* chevy...then we can hash out a trans

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6292
Re: Back to the drawning board

If it's an auto, it's a 4L60-E. This is the electronically controlled version of the TH700. Physically, the case isn't much different. Your only real issue is controlling the tranny, but if you've got the engine, ECM and complete wiring harness and swapping it all together, you should be OK.

As for transfer cases, whatever went behind the TH700 will fit the one-piece-case 4L60-E (the split case version came out around '97 and the back of it is a little different). About the only thing that'll bolt right on with a passenger drop is an NP-241. Could be others, I'm not sure.

A Dana 300 will fit with an adapter to the tune of $400 - $500. Novak & AA both make them. Dallas is using a Novak adapter on his TH700.

Oh, and this is all assuming that it was a 4x4 to begin with. If it was 2wd, than the output shaft of the tranny will need to be changed out as well. The shaft's are cheap (~$35), but there's labor involved.

BTW, don't bother with the TH400 with a 4.3. It's a monster, weighs a little over 100 lbs more than a TH700/4L60-E and is way overkill for a 4.3 or even most 5.0/5.7's.

--Dan

Last edited by houlster; 06-19-2003 at 09:51 PM.
houlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19144
yes I am going to go with the 4.3 or 5.7
So the trany that I have is the same as a 700r4 but it is to electric. Do you think it would hold up? has anyone out there used one of these? Thanks for the info guys.

Later,
Daniel
Old 06-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
I swapped a 4.3L and 4L60-E into a Wrangler. We mated the stock NP231 to it via advance adapters. As Dan was mentioning, the transmission is controlled by the computer and shifts off a reluctor ring. I don't care much for the electronics, this means you'll have to get the computer burnt for the correct shift points everytime you change tire size/gearing.

I think the 4L60-E is a decently stout transmission as long as you keep it cool. I don't see a problem in going with this as long as you don't mind the electronics associated with it.

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19144
so I would have to get the computor worked on when I get this done? Where do you get that done at? how much would that be?

Thanks again,
Daniel
Old 06-20-2003, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10149
Send a message via AIM to RufusTheRam
i would think you should be able you use a tach ratio adapter (www.abbott-tach.com or similar) to get the signal right for your gearing/tires combo. they are adjustable units too, so you can play with the settings or switch when you switch tires/gears.

89 Isuzu Trooper, mall crawler...
RufusTheRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20520
Send a message via AIM to IsuzuCrawler
daniel, good deal on the free sm420 now to just find a motor and t case and you'll be in business. so now here is the question, what would be the t case use when going with a 350, sm420, and________? preferably something without an adapter to save on cost, but yet strong and allow for lower gears. you could go with a divorced dual toyota, you can get those for 2 cases of bud light and the divorced adapter is like $350 just trying to throw around more ideas for ya
Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
you can do a "search" here on the pirate board....really all the info you would EVER want is right here

don't let the adapters scare you.........the 420's are really realy cheap....mine was $50 ...........that frees up a LOT of cash for an adapter.

you may also look at the SM465 those are produced from 1969- late 80's +

the SM420 is a 2WD trans that went out of production in 1968.......it is the LOWEST 1st gear.....but you will need an adapter.

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Old 06-23-2003, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19144
I went by my uncle,s house and just so happened to have a sm420 just laying there behind his shop Yeap Freebee
I got a 350 chevy coming to the shop this afternoon. I have to rebuild it though I got it for one hundred dollars. Matt what are you going to be runing your 350 with a tbi or a carb? Is there some kind of carb setup that would run on high angle inclind?

Thanks for the info,
Daniel

PS: Eric I will see you this afternoon and hopefully we can start on them rocker bars. Matt are you going to make it to Tellico this weekend or what?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
if you don't want the sm420, i'll buy it
Old 06-23-2003, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
i am currently running a 750 cfm Quadrajet carb on my 350....so far so good...this is the best of the carbs out there for wheeling and angles. i went this route for $$$$ issues.....i was doing SOOOO much at one time it was easy and cheap and i could get the truck on the road.

eventially i will swap to a TBI fuel injection set up...........when i get a few extra coins

there is a ton of info on the Pirate about this.

Tellico??? sorry guys...this will be another work weekend on the truck...finishing all the final little details. Haven't had a lot of wrench time lately

but busy is good so i can't complain

Old 06-23-2003, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19144
Matt sorry to hear that your are not going to be able to make the Tellico trip. Hope busy = money and I know what you mean there. I got my motor and put it on the engine stand. I hope to get started on it next week after the Tellico trip. I am going to be useing the sm420 paul but I will keep an I out for one for you. Matt I need a shifter for my sm420. would the sm465 shifter work on the sm420?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Take advantage of the board here...there are over 20,000 people on here....somebody has a shifter

use the wanted forum...you'll get what you need pretty fast.

IIRC you will need the actual 420 shifter..........but when i needed parts for mine i had them off here in 24hrs.........gotta love that

Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19144
Thanks for the insight there Matt. I will be calling you soon with a big parts list.lol Hey do you still feel like comming down and tring to SAS My trooper this winter?

Later,
Daniel
Old 06-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
sure i'm game

i'm sure i can provide a little insite

Old 06-24-2003, 03:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 19144
Thanks again Matt. I am looking for a welder as we speak. Do you feel like a 175 lincon would do the sas or do we need to go bigger?

Later,
Daniel
Old 06-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
skip the lincoln...................really

get a Hobart Handler 175 - 220 volt

hands down best thing going at that price range.

look here:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler175.html

Old 06-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 10149
Send a message via AIM to RufusTheRam
hobart is good, but imo go with a miller 175... it's a little more, but less plastic parts and infinite voltage/wire speed settings. it's more than enough for doing a SAS, etc...

89 Isuzu Trooper, mall crawler...
RufusTheRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
well......of course the Miller is the best...i was just being budget minded....he did say Lincoln

Old 07-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 19144
Well I am going to get my welder Friday and will more than likely be cleaning the shop up this weekend in hopes to pull the red rig in there the first of the week. I have alot of work to do on her body. It is just begging to go topless. And you know me if she wants to go topless I'm not going to stop her. lol

Later,
Daniel