I got the highway shakes help! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 20520
Send a message via AIM to IsuzuCrawler
I got the highway shakes help!

ok this same post is on the wire, just trying to get more info

after getting the new motor, well used but you know what i mean, i've driven the trooper on the highway and around 60 it has some violent shaking. its not in the steering wheel but the whole truck. I had a set of 31s on it at frist and was hoping that they were just out of balance, but i put my 33s back on today and it still shakes it is going to be a long 8hr ride to tellico if i can't figure this out i've ruled out a bent wheel or tire out of balance when i changed them today. could it have something to do with the new motor? something loose? what else causes highway vibration. i know it wasn't ever the best riding truck, but i never noticed it this bad, maybe not driving it for 6months and driving a bmw will do that to you its old to but a little better ride than the trooper
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6807
did you have the whole drivetrain out..? if so, did you remember to phase your driveshaft's U joints correctly?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
check motor mounts, trans mount

look at u-joints in shafts and generally inspect both shafts for damage

make sure truck is actually in 2H not 4H

that's off the top of my head.....

has it shook since the motor? can you drive through it? meaning if you accelerate does it go away.....can you isolate it to a specific speed range and is it consistant?

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20520
Send a message via AIM to IsuzuCrawler
yeah it does go away i think once i get up pretty fast, and doesn't start until around 60. just reading on here sparked my own memery just now, i think we loosend the transmission mount when we first tried to get the motor out ourselves. DUH! i don't remember ever tighting that back down and i doubt the shop even messed with the tranny, cause it was just the motor that was out. i guess at the time i never thought it would run again anyway thanks for the mental help