help! 93 Isuzu truck runs like shittt! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2003, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18160
help! 93 Isuzu truck runs like shittt!

I checked and snipped the ends on all the vac hoses and sprayed a can of starting fluid onto the intake and around hoses and carburetor and i cannot not figure out why it still idles like crap. But the temperature is extremely high on the exhaust side almost 525 degree f. I am pin pointing it to the carburetor and can i get this fixed my self or do i have to spend 270.00 dollars for a rebuilt one. What do i do? It sputters and lacks power on acceleration. Everything has been tuned and new head and valve job and resurface been done but still runs like crap. Should i buy a carb from the junk yard?

Thanks
93 Isuzu Pick up
martin
Old 06-25-2003, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
93 huh...i'm going to say you either have a fuel injected 2.6L 4cy.............OR..............you have a Throttle Body (TBI - also fuel injected) GM 3.1L V-6.

so no Carb there either way.............based on you saying you have a "carb" i'll guess it's a 3.1L V-6 and say it sounds like a clogged injector in the TBI.

BUT only guessing with out more specific info

as far as the temp issue......is the work you had done warr. by a shop? or are you on your own here?

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2003, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 12056
Quote:
Originally posted by TrooperRS
93 huh...i'm going to say you either have a fuel injected 2.6L 4cy.............OR..............you have a Throttle Body (TBI - also fuel injected) GM 3.1L V-6.
IIRC there WAS a 2.3L carb'd version of the '93.
The symptoms sound similar to what happened with my '87 (1.9L) before I rebuilt the carb.

Is there any excessive smoke coming from the exhaust ?
Have you inspected the plugs since the tuneup (fouling) ?
GonZu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
Quote:
Originally posted by GonZu

IIRC there WAS a 2.3L carb'd version of the '93.

really???? HUH.....new one on me.

i did have the mis-fortune of owning a 2.3L 4 cyl when i had my 87 trooper......so i do have a little experience w/ that motor as well.

would not have guessed that was in a '93?

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Old 06-25-2003, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 18160
Yes it is a 1993 Isuzu 2.3 liter 4cyl

It has a 2 barrel carburetor on it and i just went to the junk yard and the owner told me that he has alot of isuzu's but evryone is looking for a carburator for thema nd they have trends to be bad and there are no rebuild parts for them. I was still wondering if my carb is bad and i do think it is because i think it is running real lean and it does not spue out smoke like it is running rich. I measured the tempurature at the exhaust manifold and it is reading like 525 degree f. It is hot and it will run hot if it runs lean am i right. All work done the the engine is correct because the heads were taken to the shop for mill, valve job, and cracked tested. I checked all possible vacuum leaks and seem to be un successful to find and leaks what so ever.
Does anyone have a carb for sale or can rebuild one that is significantly cheaper than 300.00 dollars? (autozone price)

1993 Isuzu Pickup Truck
2.3 liter 4 cyl engine carbureted

Thanks
Martin
Old 06-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12056
Re: Yes it is a 1993 Isuzu 2.3 liter 4cyl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos
It has a 2 barrel carburetor on it and i just went to the junk yard and the owner told me that he has alot of isuzu's but evryone is looking for a carburator for thema nd they have trends to be bad and there are no rebuild parts for them.
Call Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu- 1.800.727.8066 and ask him to confirm there is NO rebuild kit.
He's pretty good at diagnosing 'over da phone' too
Old 06-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
there is a guy in NC on ebay that sell the Webber Carb for that Motor...i "think" it is under $300 as well

search on "isuzu trooper" or webber

hope that helps

Old 06-25-2003, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14571
This link is about as clear as mud, but he's selling a Weber that fits an Isuzu.

My fee is 10%.
Stewpid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15939
check timing amd mixture setting. If that dosent help, rebuild the carb or look for a webber 2bbl.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21185
From what I'm finding, this seems to be an all to common problem with the carb 2.3L. My 86 has plenty of power at wide open throttle, but stumbles low to mid throttle and refuses to idle at any particular speed. I can get it to sort of stay around 1200 RPM but it tends to surge and then nearly die off instead of picking a spot to idle at. Checking for vacuum leaks shows only that the primary throttle shaft bushing is pretty worn out, but no other real leaks.

Anyone have some instructions for setting the idle mix on these things? I have the Haynes book, but it cops out with the "this should only be adjusted by a trained mechanic" line on idle mix. I basically just need starting settings and final adjustments.
800XL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2003, 07:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15939
i cant realy explain carb tuning but my dad has kinda showed me, and he and i are able to do it be ear and feel. Just play whith the mixture and idle screws untill it levels off. hten run it and keep doing it till it runs well. I would still be inclined to check timing.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 12056
Quote:
Originally posted by 800XL

Anyone have some instructions for setting the idle mix on these things?
NOT YET
Coming from a new Holley owner ...
make sure the timing is set to spec, adjust the mixture, adjust the timing.
Adjust the idle, adjust the timing and the mixture.
Adjust the timing.

REPEAT

Good Carb mechanics are worth their weight in Gold around here.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21185
Can't do much with the timing without at least a stable idle. Even without vacuum advance the timing bounces around like silicone on Baywatch with an idle that varies from 400 to 1800RPM. I've tweaked the timing by ear some and made some improvements, but nothing there seems to help the surging.

I've gotten the idle to calm down a little by just tuning the carb by ear, but I'd like to know what the start point is for the idle screw so I can see how far off I am. If it has to be run rich or lean I can make some guesses about what is going on. I've seen some references to the Clymer shop manual actually having the idle mixture adjustment info in it, but I know the Haynes doesn't. I should have an 86 shop manual and supplement on its way to me, so perhaps that will help.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19500
I have an 86’ Trooper that I am converting to SB350. It had a weber carb of some sort bolted to the old 4-cylinder engine (engine ran real good, but wanted to upgrade entire dirvetrain to 1 ton). The guy I bought the trooper off of said it was an aftermarket carb designed for off-camber and inclines for 4x4 use. It also had a foam secondary filter that helped to keep the mud and soot out of the paper filter when in muddy, dirty situations. I would be interested in selling it if your interested. I won’t be able to get the numbers off of it to find out exactly what model it is until this weekend though.
OverThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2003, 02:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 21185
OverThrottle: Sent you an email

I've got a factory shop manual heading my way soon for the 86 Trooper, and if that has the idle mix info in it, I will pass it along. I'm beginning to think this carb is just worn out and needs rebuilt or replaced. The trooper has almost 200k miles on it, and the carb doesn't look like much has been done to it.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 21185
Update

I found the source of my troubles. The mixture control valve (white round deal on the fender with a 3/8" hose hooking it right into the intake manifold) was leaking vacuum off badly. I unhooked it and plugged the port on the manifold. The idle smoothed out and it is running much better. Now to find a replacement part so it will run right and could pass emissions if I ever have to.

I'll add the specifics on the idle mixture adjustment later. The factory service manual has the details, but it is basically the standard deal if you've done this before. Start 3 turns out, turn to where it runs best, then set the idle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.