Wow! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2003, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3692
Wow!

So Lance collapsed?

Oh well another place to visit on a regular basis.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10156
It didn't seem like it took too much. Besides, there are some pretty built Zu's out there. I wheeled my stock Rodeo before buying my TJ and it did really well.

When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem.
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
yeah i think isuzu trucks are the real sleepers of the 4x4 world................the only thing holding them back is the lack of publicity

good solid rigs with lots of potential.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3692
Quote:
Originally posted by TrooperRS
good solid rigs with lots of potential.
That's what I said back in '78 when I wheeled Toyotas and all the fullsized and heepers just sneared at it.
Belly Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
yep Toyota went throught the initiation...then Suzuki......now

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Old 06-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15939
Oh yeah!
Thers a copuple of guys on luvtruck.com that have realy built little isuzus. One guy has a luv whith a 400 chev 3/4ton axles on 35s whith rear mounted radiators. He plans on mud racing it.
Right now isuzus are einthusiats trucks, give em 10-15 and they will hopefully be like toyota in popularity and after market.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20564
potential?

Yeah, if you change out the engines, transmissions, front and rear differentials..... sheesh...

the Isuzu's do have their limitations.... They are fun, and compared stock to stock and left stock and used within parameters they were designed for, are very noteworthy.

You can also build hell out of them as Mathew has, but you can start with a better base package, with better parts availability.

Old broncos, old binders, old blazers come imediately to mind.

I like the trooper because it is different. But, yer spends yer money...

robt
86 Topless Turbo Diesel Trooper SAS SOA Custom Alum Dash, Cage, Dana 44 front, Detroit ezlocker, Zoo 12 bolt rear Lincoln Locker, cherokee springs, Alum radiator, 36" Super swampers, Stack & Snorkle, VDO gauges
--
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Superchips, K&N, TST j-hook, transgo VDO gauges
AirTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Re: potential?

Quote:
Originally posted by AirTrooper

I like the trooper because it is different. But, yer spends yer money...

robt
Our 90 trooper was so good for my wife we bought her a 2001. I don't mind the 4 banger 5 speed in the 90 but wish we had bought the RS model instead of a base model one. The RS's came with taller tires and better gears. That and the auto hubs suck too.
70~K5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20463
To the best of my Knowledge there wasnt an RS in 90 in the US. 89 and 93 respectfully. The only Difference of the RS was it being SWB 2 door Trooper.

89 I think had the 2.8, the 93 had the 3.2 and the 2nd Gen styling. 89 had the Asin Manual hubs I think. I could be wrong, you have to ask the RS Gurus.

The 89 RS might of came from factory with bigger tires, but there was no body height difference, you can run 31's on the 1st gen without a lift from what I understand.
DaveFl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2003, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
the 89 RS only came w/ a 4cyl....in either auto or 5-speed

they had alloy wheels and 31x10.50's from the factory and also had the lowest isuzu ratio of 4.77 in the axles.

these trucks also came w/ Aisin Manual hubs stock.

our "RS" is a rare model in the US...but really, it is what the rest of the world knows as the Trooper...............everywhere else the 4 doors are rare ......go figure

here are a couple cool RS's from Europe:
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
another:
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFl
To the best of my Knowledge there wasnt an RS in 90 in the US. 89 and 93 respectfully. The only Difference of the RS was it being SWB 2 door Trooper.
There was RS's 4 door models in '90 They came with the 10.50x15 tire and lower gear ratios. There were 3 models in '90 the base model that we bought the RS, and the LS. In '90 the base model and the RS had auto hubs, only the LS model had manual hubs stock.

When we bought our first Trooper we wanted a Rodeo till I sat in one. My head hit the headlinner due to the shorter roofline compaired to the Trooper. Then we tried the Trooper and I fit in it better so we bought one. Our '90 Troper has 195,000 miles on it now and still has the original clutch in.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
hmmm...not to split hairs...but i'll disagree

just so happens i have the 1989-90 sales brochure....gotta love e-bay

there was the "S" base model, the "XS" and the "LS" all 4 doors

then there was the "RS" which was the 2 door short wheel base....but these had the same "LS" package which included alloys, larger tires, Cruise control, trim, captians chairs, etc..

not to split hairs......................i have never heard of a 4 door "rs" model

Old 07-03-2003, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Quote:
hmmm...not to split hairs...but i'll disagree

just so happens i have the 1989-90 sales brochure....gotta love e-bay

there was the "S" base model, the "XS" and the "LS" all 4 doors

then there was the "RS" which was the 2 door short wheel base....but these had the same "LS" package which included alloys, larger tires, Cruise control, trim, captians chairs, etc..

not to split hairs......................i have never heard of a 4 door "rs" model
As I read that maybe it was the "XS" model that I'm thinking of. Did the XS come with the lower geared axles, 10.50x15 tires, and mag wheels? If so that's the model I was thinking of. Maybe I should pull out my owners manual and read it over again.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
hey...no sweat......the thing w/ the wheel tire packages and the lower gears is becoming urban myth w/ troopers.

for sure ...the RS's had them. ....4.77's and alloys and 31's.

but, on the 4 doors....i used to think it was all the LS models w/ alloys, but....all i have ever seen have 4.56's............so who knows.

honestly the only 4 doors i've ever seen w/ 4.77's were those the owner actually SWAPPED in themselves

maybe they just slapped the wheels on w/ out doing gears form the factory........i really can't say

Old 07-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 11392
Quote:
hey...no sweat......the thing w/ the wheel tire packages and the lower gears is becoming urban myth w/ troopers.

but, on the 4 doors....i used to think it was all the LS models w/ alloys, but....all i have ever seen have 4.56's............so who knows.

honestly the only 4 doors i've ever seen w/ 4.77's were those the owner actually SWAPPED in themselves

maybe they just slapped the wheels on w/ out doing gears form the factory........i really can't say

Well I remember reading about the model that came with the 10.50x15s had lower gears in '90 when we bought our base model. The LS models we looked at had mag wheels but still had the 235/75Rx15s that the base model came with. The XS had the lower gears to keep the engine in the same RPM range as the other model even though it had taller tires. It may have been in the owner's manual where I read about it. I'll pull it out and check over the weekend.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7224
Quote:
here are a couple cool RS's from Europe:
i wouldnt got so far as to call that first muthafawka COOL
Old 07-04-2003, 04:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
RS

Member # 20732
Quote:
Originally posted by james west

i wouldnt got so far as to call that first muthafawka COOL
Gotta agree, but that drop top on the Red RS has potential. OK, Matt, fess up. Where'd you find that?

Steve
RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755

well on the 1st one i really like the Desiel hood w/ the scoop.........but, yeah the that one is pretty painful

that one is from Germany

the other one is a factory (i think) softtop version.

and yes it is cool

here is another shot of the 2nd
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2003, 03:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 15939
it reminds me of an amigo, only older
Old 07-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
RS

Member # 20732
It looks like they left the integral roof support and then opened the roof above the cabin like a T-top. Keeps the rigidity for the frame and windshield and gives a solid mounting point for the canvas. Interesting, a Targa/T-Top! I never would have thought of that.
RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2003, 07:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 12504
Send a message via AIM to Spank
bah, isuzus are for cheerleaders
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2003, 11:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 20742
Are Jeeps those funny looking things always jacked up with a cv hanging off?
Have only seen these from a distance as I drive past in my trusty old Jappa
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 20491
Quote:

OK .... So my 89RS has the build code: "9JV FRONT AND REAR 31X10.5R15 7JJX15-US BRAND" (looked it up at ITOG). And I am to lazy to go out and jackup one tire and spin the driveshaft 20 times . Does the 9JV mean I have the mythical 4.77's?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
well...as far as i know all the RS's had the 4.77's..........as they all came w/ aloys and 10.50's...but, those are VERY rare.

the confusion is the 4 doors w/ alloys, those i am not sure ever came w/ 4.77's

but stop being a lazy ass and count the turns to make sure

don't promote the the urban myth

Last edited by Independent4x; 07-07-2003 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.