View Poll Results: So what to do
1 1 14.29%
2 2 28.57%
3 2 28.57%
4 1 14.29%
5 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3692
Tube or not? - a dilema

Ok so I'm not driving the Isuzu as much lately due to no freaking time off.

However I have lots of time to consider my next move with the modifications. (trouble)

I need to lower the beasty and reduce some "excess" weight as well as make it safe so I can do more stupid stuff. I've lowered it as far as I can with the coil overs but due to steering issues I can only lower it so much. The only way I can go lower is significantly altering the frame. Which I would have done by now if I could fab worth a shit. I can dream it up but I can't make the transition from pen to steel.

So I'm considering a couple of things to have someone else do for me.

1) An exo and live with the height it is. However an exo adds a boat load more weight.

2) Tube it out, skin the body and put the body on the tube. This is cool because from the outside it will still look like an Amigo. However there is significant complex body lines that would add cost and time as well as effort to making it look right.

3) Full on tube rig and keep the original lines as much as possible but substitute body panels for straight flat sheets of steel or fiberglass.

4) Add a cage and drive it. Unfortunatly this will be money down the tubes (pun) in the long run as I seem to be leaning more towards a tube rig just for playing in.

5) Just drive it as it is, until I shred off all the body parts then do something. Course without a cage as it sits really puts a damper on my options. I really don't want to severly injur myself in the process.

Now my goal really is just to have something fun to play in as well as still be capable of holding all the shit Debbie packs for camping trips. I like the Amigo body style but it's not enough to stop me from totally removing it for the fun factor.

As it sits right now I don't even have rock sliders as I keep ripping them off when I go out and play. That was a complete waste of 400 the last time and I'm reluctant to even go there again.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
#1 COUNTER PRODUCTIVE AND

- too heavy
- protecting something that does not need protecting....the body
-not as good an just building a cage to protect yourself

#2 FAIRLY EXTREME AND EXPENSIVE.....maybe more work that starting over.

#3 similar to 2 but less factory looking correct?

#4 no...you are too far on what you have to start over. save the money and tube the pass comp and the whole rear 1/2

#5 not toooo smart........but people do it. this is of course the "in the mean time solution" just be careful

i vote you loose the windshield, roof, and complete rear 1/2....build a kick-ass complete pass. compartmant cage and a tubed rear for gear.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3692
Quote:
Originally posted by TrooperRS
i vote you loose the windshield, roof, and complete rear 1/2....build a kick-ass complete pass. compartmant cage and a tubed rear for gear.
Might as well take it from the firewall then..?? I only use doors in the winter and some clever use of cloth doors would suffice. Sortof would be a 1/2 tube buggy. yes/no
Old 07-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
Yep, basically.

i have seen a few things lately w/ square tube frames that terminate into round tube rear halfs. let me see if i can find a pic that is a good example. i'll be back

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Old 07-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
well this is not the one i was looking for but you can see where i am going............this toy truck was posted in General a while back:
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3692
Hmm, I'm not sure an Amigo would look good like that.... hmm... I may need to do some photochopping to see. I wonder if you left the front 1/2 of the cab, tubed the rear AND the front if that would work?

BTW, I need to bolster my frame up front as fatigue is causing a bit of drifting.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
OK...Here's another very cool direction.....from general.........

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=156193

hang onto the firewall.............build from there. eliminates all your issues

Old 07-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
i can see the amigo in all green tube

Old 07-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
#6 solve the suspension woes that are causing you to want to lower it(tippy if i remember right?) and leave it alone because it looks good as is. add a cage and fix the suspension. sell the coilovers and redo the links if need be...imo.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6007
Quote:
Originally posted by TrooperRS
OK...Here's another very cool direction.....from general.........

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=156193

hang onto the firewall.............build from there. eliminates all your issues
I agree. I kept the firewall, cowl, hood, grill.

Just wear warm clothes in the winter

Lead Foot Syndicate
bigdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11425
i'm nobody so my opinion doesn't matter the slightest bit, but i have seen your rig, before, during and after the build-up on a few sites and i have to say it is the coolest Isuzu i have ever seen and i would only add an interior cage in front and make it slightly exo out back. i would also add tube doors and maybe a bar protecting the front fenders. i would leave the height alone unless it's REALLY unstable, which, it doesn't look to be in the photos, but i'm not driving it. tube buggies are for spare engines, trannies, axles and stuff you have laying around or for competitions, in my opinion. i would never totally buggy something as beautiful as your rig, but again, i ain't nobody.......
Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
I voted #2.

What are the issues preventing you from lowering it? Can they be solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote