Pirate 4x4 banner

Isuzu dual tcase failure

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bradzuzu 
#1 ·
For those of you wondering what happened to cause the dual tcase failure.....I finally tore into it today. It appears that when a new front driveline was installed (after i sold it) it was too short. It appears that on a hard compression, the front output snap ring was pressed on so hard that it broke and so did the internal groove in the tcase that held the snap ring in. This allowed the gears to move and wear funny until some of the teeth broke off. This was on the Tera low gears too. It is my opinion that these cases would have held up if the front driveline was the correct length to allow it to have more slip on compression. Luckily i have two spare cases lying around, so i will put one in and change the front driveline. Maybe i will look for some more Tera lows or whatever they are called now. Matt may get a call. If i can figure out how to do pics from my ipad, i will post some up of the carnage

Troy

#2 ·
I think you mean too long :flipoff2:

How was the cooling? I recall you were worried about it...and that one solution was to drill a hole between the t-case/trans to share oil....did that help? Anyway to cut off the front output and still be able to maintain fluid levels by maybe welding on a "box" instead of a plate to it?

#4 ·
I installed a temp guage and it would get up to around 250 F. I did drill holes between the trans and tcase so they share a bath. Not sure what the temp on a non chopped tcase is though. I drove it several times non stop from salt lake to Moab no problem.

#5 ·
Gotta see some carnage pics !! Sucks ass but still interesting to see shit blown up..

If you can show a pic of the adapter plate setup , I could potentially do this with the parts I have accumulated :)

Done fucked that truck up !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.