cold weather coming, and trooper not running - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2003, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23953
Send a message via AIM to CtTrooper
Angry cold weather coming, and trooper not running

So here's the story:
I went outside about 6:45am to warm up the trooper before i head off to school. Started right up fine like usual. I came back out to head off at about 7, and it was no longer running. I thought hmm maybe it stalled. I tried starting it and no go. Agreeing with several other people, I concluded it must be the gas. (I was running low, and it was cold outside = lots of condensation) So I figured it must have frozen somewhere. I bought some dry gas, poured that in the tank and added some more gas. Shook it up a bit, and tried it again. Still no go. I tried again the next day in the afternoon, because it was a little warmer out (around 40-45*F as opposed to near freezing) Still not starting. I figured, hey what the hell maybe the fuel filter is clogged, so I replaced that (it was due for one anyways). It is still not starting. I popped the top off the air cleaner and sprayed a couple shots of Starting Fluid into the TBI. Vroom, then died, so its obviously not getting the fuel it needs. I further checked by having somebody watch the injectors when I cranked it over. Yep, no fuel. I have come to the conclusion it must be the fuel pump. Am I right or am I wrong? I want to make sure I am right before I go and spend all the money on a new one.

The second part of the question is, can the gas tank be dropped to change the pump out? I would assume so, but I only ask because it is a split-tank design and it looks like the brackets it's mounted to are welded to the frame.

There is a good chance we are getting a good snow storm in 2 days, so I'd like to have my troop runnin again ASAP. The other thing is, I don't have a garage, so doing this in my driveway is limited by the weather. Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by CtTrooper; 12-04-2003 at 05:41 PM.
CtTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23953
is anybody gonna reply to this or what?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Typical White Guy

Member # 9769
First thing to check would be the fuses/relay associated with the fuel system. There should be a fuse in the block in your dash and a fuse and relay in the fuse block under the hood. Test them all with a meter (even if they "look" ok) and see if that tells you anything. When you turn the key on, you should be able to go to the back of the truck and hear the pump priming itself if its working.

Second thing to check is the electrical plug for the pump at the back of the truck. These tend to get nasty and make you think the pump isn't working. Though it would be odd if it just suddenly happened while the truck was warming up.

If that doesn't do it, then yes the tank can be dropped. Should have a drain plug at the bottom. Take off skid plate, drain, take down gas tank and take out the pump.

HTH
________
Amateur adult video

Last edited by Indyguy; 04-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
if you were looking at the injectors.you must have aTBI 2.8L........been there done that.on the Jersey Turnpike no less

i replaced a ton of crap only to find out it was the injectors in the TBI............seems they sucked up some trash or whatever when mine ran out of gas.

but, you have identified the 2 foremost items i would have suggested..............fuel pump or injectors....

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23953
i have checked both the fuse and the relay and they check out fine, I don't see how both injectors could be clogged at once like that but that is also something i will also look into, when i drop the tank, i will also check connections, etc. i do have a new pump just in case that i purchased at the local napa for $163. Also, when i turn the key to on, the pump does not run, nor does the relay click, i don't think it ever did. when you actually crank it over is when the relay clicks and the pump should run, i had somebody do that and the relay is fine, but i heard no pump. i've concluded it must be the pump, but i'll also take a better look at the injectors.

Last edited by CtTrooper; 12-12-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23953
everything is fixed, bad connections going through tank to pump were all corroded. I decided to replace the pump anyways because the new one had a lot more nut than the original one, and the in-tank filter was dirty as a whore. everything works great now, all thats left is drill out and re-tap holes for the 2 gas tank skid plate bolts i broke (damn cold weather)
Old 12-16-2003, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 23105
good to hear that she's all fixed
LoFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote