project rodeo - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24167
project rodeo

i am currently building a rodeo with 1 ton running gear 40 inch boggers and a ford 460. right now a spring over has been done on the rear with 5 inches of block under them and its still sits lower than the front. i would like to do away with the blocks but i cant find a spring that fits the rodeo and will give me the lift i need. does anyone know of a spring that will bolt in. what year make and model spring should i look for that will give me the lift i need.

Last edited by apg camo; 12-29-2003 at 06:58 PM.
apg camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
dont limit your options to what will fit in the stock hangars. just make new ones and run whatever you can find. what suspension are you running up front? maybe you could bring it down some.

good luck and post pics
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6359
If you can swap a BB Ford into a Rodeo, surely you can make some springs fit. There's tons of info on PBB, try a start on the Toyota section on making leafs work... Good Luck. Is your front IFS (?) going to hold up to weight of the V-8 ? Pics !!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 24167
first let me say that its not MY rodeo its my roomates. so according to him he was hoping not to have to make rear spring mounts because he has already spent so much time on the front. no it dosn't have the ifs in it anymore. he swaped in a narrowed d60 from a fullsize dodge with custom spring mounts. i would hate to burst his bubble buy telling him he's going to have to fab up some rear ones now. c'mon guy's i have heard a lot about this forum on other forums and they all say this is the best place to get this kind of info. don't let me down.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16384
Send a message via AIM to paulevans76
jesus h, a spring hangar has got to be the easiest piece to make. just takes a few minutes and some measuring. if you're super cheap you can cut off the stock ones and move them, lay a few beads and be done with it. you might not have to move the rear hangars, just do a double shackle.

heres a suggestion:
take the front down a few inches
make new spring hangars in the rear and get rid of the blocks, use longer shackles if you have to. thats only a few pieces of flat steel.
trim fenders, wheel tubs, firewall, whatever

there's no easy way to make big meats fit, there's no secret special spring, so just deal with it and get out on the trail
Old 12-30-2003, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
I switched out to 56" Chevy springs in the rear of my Rodeo to give more lift options. I only had to fabricate a new spring hanger. I'm using the stock shackle hanger with a double shackle design (stock isuzu and stock chevy shackles). Though not bolt up, it was a real easy conversion.

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24167
the problem with fabbing some rear mounts is that he has already platted the frame around the stock mounts. its going to be a pita to have to cut them out. so he was hoping that he might be able to find some rear springs that would fit with about 8 inches of lift.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20834
You might wanna give this guy a call www.darlington-offroad.com & ask him if he can custom arch some for you. (i realy don't think it's possible to get 8" out of the stock springs, but never hearts to try).

rubo
rubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 8301
You may want to swap those leaf spring out anyways. The rear springs on the rodeo's are fairly soft and you'll have quite a bit of axlewrap to deal with with 40's, full-widths, and a 460.

How hard could it posibly be to weld in new spring hangers? You could probably keep either the front ones or the rear ones if you're that opposed to the extra work.

-Chris
rodeo_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8110
Send a message via ICQ to RodeoRob Send a message via AIM to RodeoRob
Quote:
Originally posted by 86f1504x4
the problem with fabbing some rear mounts is that he has already platted the frame around the stock mounts. its going to be a pita to have to cut them out.
Thats fine, so use the Chevy 56" springs in the stock mounts and move the shackle hanger back to match. IRCC, i didn't move the spring hanger that far forward to keep the axle in the same place with the 56"ers. I bet you'd only stretch the wheelbase about 4-5" doing this and certainly allow for more lift spring choices.

-Rob
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote