35's w/ open or locked diff? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23507
35's w/ open or locked diff?

Okay, I am curious to know what people think would be the best way to have the front diff in an IFS if you were running 35's. I have heard both arguments. Being open it doesn't create as much stress on the CV and allows the will to spin if need be. Locked, it keeps the wheels from spinning when off the ground so there won't be as much shock on the front end when it comes down. I am curious to know what everyone here thinks

Oh yeah, don't tell me to go SAS

Steve
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20695
Lock it and go easy on the stupid pedal
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2004, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26397
Cool

I'm running 33x12.5 super swampers and I will till I do dana 44's then 35 or 36's but for now the 33's are great. I use the right peddle for good not evil.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Re: 35's w/ open or locked diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by pike2350

Oh yeah, don't tell me to go SAS

Steve
Go SAS

I think the stock CV's limit with a locker would be 33 maybe. I would leave it open and lock the rear. There is no point in placing $$ in an item and then having to baby the fawker Lock the ass end up and stomp the shit out of it

and then when you break it you can put a solid axle up front

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1005
Re: Re: 35's w/ open or locked diff?

I think the stock CV's limit with a locker would be 33 maybe. I would leave it open and lock the rear.

The problem is this is not just wheel spin, it is wheel spin times 2, because of the spider and side gears. When you pop a wheel in the air with an open diff, it is not just turning at the rate of the R&P, the spider gears cause it to turn 2x as fast (with half the torque input) and when you get big (or even not so big tires) spinning, they tend to be hard on parts when they come down.

A locker negates this. You may only have one front wheel on the ground, but all you have to deal with at that point is the increased torque (2x on side on the ground) and it is generally a constant load, not the shock load you get from an open locker.

If you are to the point where you need 35" tires for the trails you do, you also need a locker. There is no other way to look at it. Tammer trails and smaller tires will keep things together, but there comes a point where you have to have a locker, or you will be stuck and broke more times than not.

Personally, I am locked with 35's, 5.38's and Teras in the TC. I have not broken anything, yet. I have also dropped my diff housing, use shields on my tie-rods and I am running birfield rings on the outside joints. That, and I drive rather smoothly by nature, but that does not mean it does not get abused.

Michael
mlclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
and if you are at the point where you require 35 inch tires for the trail you are going on you also require a solid front axle

with a locker

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1005
Quote:
Originally posted by usmcdoc14
and if you are at the point where you require 35 inch tires for the trail you are going on you also require a solid front axle

with a locker
You run what ya brung. In addition to that, you had better be able to keep it together and/or have patient friends.

In my case, it works. I also enjoy being able to put it together so it does work.

Will it work for everyone? Nope. Will it work until I want to take that step to a SAS? Yup. Is a SAS the answer to everything? Not by a long shot.

Michael
mlclark is offline   Reply With Quote