93 rodeo build... maybe - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 16664
Send a message via AIM to pyros46290
93 rodeo build... maybe

my gf has a 93 rodeo with the 2.6 and its 2wd 5 speed. i was thinkin about it and i think it would be cool to make it into a wheeler. from what i saw the frame was boxed all the way down, which would make it easier to slap on some spring hangers up front and go solid axle. the 2.6 is small but it gets the thing goin, and with some gears it should be fine for 33s-35s max. i was thinking toy axles f&r. next problem is drivetrain.... did rodeos ever come with a 4cyl 4x4? is there a transfer case that will bolt right up? any1 know of any good isuzu links?

ps i already got her interested in a calmini cam and makin our own intake with a k&n cone
pyros46290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25708
SAS is getting to be a much more common mod on Isuzus of all kinds these days, and there is alot of help out there (the internet) now from guys who have already gone through the trial and error phase doing this. I believe 93 & 94 were the only years the Rodeo came with a 4 cyl (4X4 at least) and the rear ends were GM 10 bolts. Matt at Independent 4X can supply alot of aftermarket, as well as SAS parts for your vehicle, should you decide to go this route. Toy axles up front are probably considered a good choice (among others), but Zu rear ends, properly geared, are also a pretty damn fine piece of machinery! Not sure what rear-end you have, but do some research-you might decide your rear axle will do the job just fine. Check out the links section at www.independent4x.com, or try 4X4 Wire.com (Isuzu Section) & Planet Isuzoo.com- Hope this helps. Good Luck

Toddzu/Hawaii

Last edited by Toddzu; 02-12-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Toddzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2004, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16664
pretty sure its a 10 bolt rear. its got the 2 tabs cast into the bottom of the housing. thanks for the link. ive searched around for some well-built rodeos and ive really only found 2 or 3 and they were either relatively stock or built beyond reckognition. i noticed there arent many threads in this forum.. do isuzu guys just not post here that often?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Typical White Guy

Member # 9769
Quote:
Originally posted by pyros46290
i noticed there arent many threads in this forum.. do isuzu guys just not post here that often?
The Isuzu forum is fairly new around here, so its not extremely active just yet. In due time Toy axles f/r is one choice if you want to ditch the rear 10bolt. Another option is to put an Isuzu D44 from a newer Rodeo or second gen. Amigo in the rear and match it with a late-70's Jeep Wagoneer D44 up front.
________
MARIJUANA REHAB DICUSSION

Last edited by Indyguy; 04-26-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16664
ok so next i gotta figure out what tranny/ t case to use. it would be nice to keep the stock tranny but what can it be swapped out for? and is there a way to get a hydraulic clutch in there and get rid of that funky clutch linkage if i do decide to keep the stock tranny? would a toy t case bolt up to the 4 cyl 5 spd tranny? toy would be pass side drop for a toy or a waggy front
Old 02-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20695
You can go to the MUA5 isuzu tranny/transfr case... it was the unit that came stcok behind the 2.6l... Tera makes gears for it too.
Go toy axles, smurf 'em, add some 5:29's and run a set of 36" IROKs.

Just an idea
Grampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Typical White Guy

Member # 9769
Quote:
Originally posted by Grampa
You can go to the MUA5 isuzu tranny/transfr case... it was the unit that came stcok behind the 2.6l... Tera makes gears for it too.
Note here that the MUA5 4x4 tranny has an integrated transfer case......... so you can' t just buy the transfer case and slap it behind your 2WD tranny. The Tera Mfg. gears are great (I have them), but they are only a 3.07:1 reduction............ and that's the lowest you can go in a 'Zu t-case............... so if you have the money or fab skills and need a really low crawl ratio for the terrain you run, it may better serve you to mate up a Toyota tranny so you can run dual cases. Whether you need that kind of reduction is up to you. The Tera Lows are plenty low for me for almost everything I do (around 53:1 crawl ratio now). But whenever I get into the rocks, there's still a lot of clutch juggling to maintain control without stalling. Search in this forum for dual Isuzu cases as well............ its been done by a few..........
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited by Indyguy; 04-26-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote