driveshaft question???? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17350
driveshaft question????

I have found a 98+ Rodeo rear driveshaft (1 piece) and was curious if I would be able to use it in a 1 piece driveshaft swap on my 95.5 Rodeo after a little tweaking by a driveshaft shop?

The yokes looked different that mine but it's been a while since I have been under there to look at them.If they are different I should be able to use my old ones.

Just curious if this is feesable as I don't/can't have my ride down for any length of time and this would be the quickest route.

[url]http://www.MWIOR.com/[/url]
Urban_Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 19557
I would say have a complete new one made. By the time everything is said and done the money will be just about the same. Using all the exsisting parts on your old Drive Shaft will cut the cost in half, I meen your talking $200 out the door, tops.
As for down time there will be some, but if you set it up right with the shop they can have you shaft done in a single day, maybe 1/2 day.

I went with a copletly new shaft, yoke, u-joints on my 95.5 and it cost me $300. And they had my truck for me in less than 8hrs.

Another way is to get dimensions to the shop, plate-to-plate and amount of slip. Then they can build a new shaft without you ever being there. Drive in pick it up, bolt it on, drive home, quick.

Just some ideas. And as for the '98 drive shaft, I have no clue .

Scott F.
dafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
no

the 98 + rear shafts are a completely different animal.

you need to use what you have (or buy an exact salvage yard copy) and re-tube it as is..............with the slip youke, just with out the carrier bearing..

simple as can be................

just for good measure here is a pic of a 98+ rear shaft.............they are alcoa aluminum and like a 4" tube.......totally not what you have.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM

Last edited by Independent4x; 02-19-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17350
Yeah that's the one I was looking at on your site...LOL.You just lost $100 pal...LMAO!!!!Just a thought.I am a little leary of giving up my ride for a couple days.....I have 3 jobs so time is hard to come by...I know the guys at the driveshaft shop so I know they can do it but I really don't trust my measuring..LOL.
My buddy and I are tearing into it a little this weekend so we'll get some numbers.Thanx for the help.

Old 02-20-2004, 05:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25708
Urban Assault-
I recently had a one-piece driveline built for my 96 (Rodeo 4X-auto), and the down-time was pretty minimal. I did'nt need a heavy-duty 1350 shaft built (although I did have a C/V style, standard slip-yoke style shaft built) so I had it built with 1310 u.j.s. My flange-to-flange measurement was just a hair under 47". I did have to send my t-case flange out, but with it, they were able to drill out the C/V flange to match my existing drill pattern, so I did'nt need an adapter or anything. They had my flange for about three days, and in the mean-time, I just drove it (albeit a little gingerly) in 4Xhi. When I got it (the new shaft) I was able to use my O.E. pinion yoke flange -w- 1310 u.j.s, as well as bolting it right up to my O.E. T-case flange. Minimum hassle, and basically no modifications-(other than cutting my cross-member and adjusting my pinion angle.) I had Gloeco (Driveline Solutions) build it for under 3 bills. It's definately not a "Jesse Jaynes-High Angle Driveline", but it's workin for me great! Definately the best mod I've done to my Rodideo! Finally got rid of that A.L. (after-lift) vibration-it's like a new truck. Best of Luck! And definately consider doing this Mod-You'll be Stoked you did

Toddzu/HI

Last edited by Toddzu; 02-29-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Toddzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Typical White Guy

Member # 9769
Quote:
Originally posted by Toddzu
They had my flange for about three days, and in the mean-time, I just drove it (albeit a little gingerly) in 4Xhi.
Yeah John, why don't you just get around with the front driveline while they are building the rear shaft. You can have the drive shaft off of my old truck if you want it to part-out. I doubt that the ends are the same since the axle and tranny are different, but its yours if it'll work.

93 2WD Amigo, rear 10bolt, manual tranny.
________
Teen Webcams

Last edited by Indyguy; 04-26-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Indyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban_Assault
Yeah that's the one I was looking at on your site...LOL.You just lost $100 pal...LMAO!!!!

no actually i just saved myself a bunch of hassle with a dissatisfied customer and a return on an item that the customer didn't need

if you are really jonesing...............i can just get you a used rear shaft and you can take the shaft in for tubing....while you still drive on the current one.

then just sell yours to the next guy looking to do the same

it is a more expensive way to do it but there is NO downtime at all.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17350
Quote:
Originally posted by Indyguy

Yeah John, why don't you just get around with the front driveline while they are building the rear shaft.

Why is it Sean that every time you show up in one of my posts I have to flip you off at least ones...LMAO!!!!!I think I will either find a junkyard piece or buy one from Matt to have made.It being this close to spring ALL my jobs are calling so I can't be down for more that a few hours at a time.We are putting all my new stuff on piece at a time days apart so I can make it to jobs 2 and 3 still when they call.

Gonna stop by Patterson's tomorrow during lunch and see what kind of down time for sure I'm looking at.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17350
Down time is not an issue now.The Rodeo is currently sitting on HWY 32 with half of the rear driveshaft in the backseat and the other half stuck pretty solid in the carrier.We are gathering forces to go due an extradition as we speak.

So the issue of down time has turned around and bit me square in the ass.I had to take toady off work and tomorrow of of work to go to the driveshaft shop.Gotta love the lazy factor.Had I just went and had the shaft made 2 weeks ago like I should have done I could have avoided this mess.Oh well....live and learn.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25708
So U.A.-
What ended up happnin with your driveline adventure? Curious to hear how it all went down...
Old 03-03-2004, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 17350
I got a whole new shaft made.Went to put it on and found a busted leaf spring so the shaft is in the passenger seat awaiting a work day.Tha day was supposed to be this last Saturday but I didn't get out of the hospital unti about 5:00pm with my newly screwed together arm...LOL.

Hopefully all the new parts that are in my living room can get put on in enough time to make the big spring run here.Oh well...time will tell.