rear caliper rebuild - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18779
rear caliper rebuild

Maybe someone can help me out here. I'm trying to find a caliper rebuild kit for the 12bolt rear disc brakes,, searched everywhere on the net and would rather not buy new calipers. Where is the best place to find these (dealer?) and has anyone ever rebuilt em. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1005
Call St. Charles Isuzu. www.stcharlesauto.com. They have rebuild kits.

But, for the amount of hassle of rebuilding it yourself vs the cost of rebuilt calipers, I suggest going rebuilt.

Michael
mlclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1005
if not, good luck pounding that damn wheel cylider back in

That would be because they screw in. The parking brake mechanism ratchets them outward for pad wear and they need to be twisted to get them to retract. If you pressed (or hammered) it in, no wonder it got screwed up.

Michael
Old 03-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1005
no
my left rear caliper was the one that was bad, my rear right was fine.

Left, right or middle. Location of the "bad" one does not really matter in this discussion.

the rear left was stuck out and because of that, they got totally uneven wear on my pads, the inner pad had nothing left on it. thus, that was the problem

Sadly, it was not the caliper that was screwed. It was the pins. They seized, the caliper does not float and you get what you describe.

... so the rear left caliper was bad and HAD to be replaced, and when you replace one side, the other side must be replaced as well.

Yes, you are right. Brake parts should be replaced in pairs. But, in your case, cleaning up the slide pins and a set of new pads would have probably gotten you back on the road.

and when you only have a hammer and a vise to work with and nothing to "twist" the cylinder, as you suggested than options are limited.

The option is to a) get the proper tools and do it right or b) take it to someone who can do it right. Not very limited in my mind. Did you not own a pair of needle nose pliers at the time?

it was already screwed up before i attempted to fix it. plus when the caliper is bad in first place, a new or remanufactured/rebuilt one is needed.

Yes and no. You did not attempt to "fix" it. You hit it with a hammer and screwed it up. There is a big difference. You were attempting to work on a very important part of your vehicle (the brakes) without researching what you are doing. Learning is one thing, but you were just cruisin' ahead until you broke something. Then you had to replace it.

Good Luck,
Michael
Old 03-07-2004, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1005
Quote:
Originally posted by TrooperLX
haha, lol, ok... why'd u type all that shit? my brakes are done man, try to focus on the thread.

BTTT
Because you came in here giving advice about how you pounded on yours with a friggin hammer and because of that, came to the conclusion that they were screwed. When in fact, from what you typed, they may have been OK, only the slides were seized.

All it takes is someone else to read what you wrote and follow with the hammer and vice trick, costing them both frustration and money when they have to replace the calipers. Sure, replacing parts always guarantees that you will get working parts, but it is just pissing money down the drain if they do not need to be replaced in the first place.

Besides, we have already addressed the issue in this thread. If his calipers need to be rebuilt, then it is easier and faster to just buy rebuilt calipers and not rebuild them himself. We both said that.

Michael