4L30E rebuild how much $? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3563
4L30E rebuild how much $?

Hello all,
The tranny in my Trooper ('91 V6) is in need of a rebuild. It leaks horribly and when I changed the filter I found a ton of metal on the bottom of the pans. So anyway I talk to my buddy who has a shop and deals with this tranny shop a lot. He hits them up and my buddy price is $1300 for a rebuild! This same shop will rebuild a turbo 350 including the R&R for him for $350. But $1300 that seems insane. Are parts for these thing just that expensive? What's everyone else running into for prices? Are there any other trannys/tcase combos that make an easy and affordable swap into these trucks? Thanks

Travis
Old 11-23-2005, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 32370
try EBAY...

I have seen them go for as little as $150+shipping all the way up to $1,000+shipping.
SPAZZ1J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6807
I had my 91 trooper's trans (V6 4L30E) rebuilt for $1500 at Denny's Transmission (Cave Creek & Cactus area, Phoenix) - it was about the best I had found from a shop whose staff seemed trustworthy.

Most places quoted me $500 just in labor (as did Denny's) so I factored that against how fast I needed the truck to work again and how much it would cost me to buy a used or rebuilt trans and do it myself. $1500 seemed like the best bet, I was getting quotes from $1400 (i didn't like that shop's staff..) to $2800 depending who I called.

I don't make much $ so it was a bitter pill to swallow, but I'm glad I did! I'd have the same shop do the same job again in a heartbeat.

I've never heard of a shop doing a TH350 including labor for anywhere near $350.... what is this the 1960's??? Also remember transmission labor on a 4x4 application's automatically going to be ~1.5hr longer than labor on a RWD.

Last edited by Eric D; 11-24-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Eric D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6807
Oh.. as for swaps? That's largely undocumented. Obviously a full drivetrain swap would be most desirable because of the low horsepower of the 2.8l you've got.

If I were going to do a full drivetrain swap on the cheap, it'd be a no-brainer. Find a wrecked S10 with the TBI-inducted 4.3L and dump the whole shebang into the Troop. Body lift would be necessary to clear the larger Tcase, but no big deal.

If you want to keep your engine, the trans/tcase from a 4cyl TJ or YJ will bolt to the engine, as will the trans from a 2.8L s10 or early Jeep XJ

Good luck man!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 44721
Is anything else wrong with the trans other than leaks and metal collection in the oil pan?

For $1300 min. on the rebuild job, if it still works OK, fix the leak and use that sucker up.

A few years ago I had trouble with my 4L30E. It wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. It had 70 or 80K miles. None of the trans shops I called wanted to fix what was wrong, they all insisted on selling me a rebuild job (I kept thinking, this thing's got an ECM, there could be a bad solinoid or sensor or something cheap, while the whole rest of the trans is in fine shape). Some trans shop guys made comments about how weak that particular model of trans is and at 80K miles it doesn't have much life left in it, etc. (Chevette transmission with overdrive and electronic controls was one guy's poetry). Anyway, I don't doubt that it's not the most robust design, but the actual problem wasn't even inside the transmission. It turns out that the shifter position switch (ECM needs to know what gear you've selected) was bad. This is a part that they would have separated from the trans as they were taking it out for a rebuild, and would have re-attached onto the rebuilt transmission. They would have experienced the same symptoms as before, actually got around to diagnosing the problem and then sold me the switch in addition to the rebuild job that I didn't really need. Instead, I bought the switch from the local stealership for less than $150, and installed it in about an hour.

These days, that trooper is still bone stock (V6,Auto trans, auto hubs) and works hard on a farm. I treat that thing like a rented mule. It's got 180K miles on it and still works like a champ (exhaust manifolds leak and the body is rusting out).

BTW, when I first bought the thing in '96 or so, I called up the local stealer to get the owner's glove box manual. They referred me to the publisher directly. I actually wound up buying the shop manual, electrical manual, 4L30E manual and glove box manual. The shop manual and trans manual have really paid for themselves. The trans manual will give some good insight as to how the thing works and what you can do to fix it yourself. The whole thing sorta pivots around the special trans ECM code scanner (which I didn't have). However, it has easy instruction on how to check every electrical gadget in the trans, in response to whatever error code might come up. I just went through and checked everything and found that bad switch.

Good luck and stuff.
Rude_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 42888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude_Dog
(Chevette transmission with overdrive and electronic controls was one guy's poetry)
the sad part is he was right
94redrodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
That isn't apparently an abnormal price... click this LINK and read the post in this thread with all caps from Jerry.

In a nutshell, the 4L30E is way, WAY different from a TH350, or even the 4l30's bigger brother, the 4L60E or 4L80E. Lotsa electronics.

Finding them salvage is tough unless you know somebody parting out a Catera!

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 57754
Do you have the contact info where you got the trans manual? Mine revs to almost 4000 rpm when cold before shifting, I want to be prepared for when this thing takes a dump.
PeteCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 20752
Hope this posts, this it the third time I have tried...

Lotsa tech info on the 4L30E:

http://www.transtec.com/rebuilder_news/2nd_q95r-n.pdf
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6807
i don't have contact info for where to get a manual, but I have all of the manuals and supplements (trans electrical, trans main, trans supplement, trans leaflet update, and the big nasty main trooper manual.. and of course the haynes) - it says published by American Isuzu Motors Inc -

Big Manual: P/N 2-90990-032-0
Trans Supplement: P/N 2-90993-993-3
Electrical P/N 2-90029-012-0
Trans Prelim. Manual P/N 2-90990-033-0 (This one says printed in japan)

Where did I get mine? why, mine were originally purchased by Chilton Book Company, Chilton Way in Radnor, PA 19089 ... they sold 'em to me after they were done with 'em.

Last edited by Eric D; 12-02-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Eric D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCO
Do you have the contact info where you got the trans manual? Mine revs to almost 4000 rpm when cold before shifting, I want to be prepared for when this thing takes a dump.
Sorry, I just looked through all the manuals, and no publisher info. Plus, I don't see that the original dealer that pointed me to the publisher is around any more (Oak Park, IL). Good luck. You could perhaps try your local dealer to see if they just point you to the book publisher as well.
Rude_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 63685
I have a 92 v6 - here is what I got quoted (in decending order) to install a rebuit transmision:

1) Dealer - $4600

2) Independent trans shop: a) $3800 b) $3400

3) Independent trans shop labor: a) $900 b) $600

4) Rebuilt trans only: from Phoenix Hard Parts; Phoenix, AZ: Trans: $950; Shipping: $250 Core: $250

So the low cost solution appears to be $950 + $250 + $600 = $1800
Dave92 is offline   Reply With Quote