Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: BIG BLUE

19K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  Fsj Super Swamper 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs: 98/ 4.0/ AW4/ 231 SYE(for now)

narrowed 92 BJ Dana 60 front, 4340 inner shafts, welded, 5.38s, Modified ruffstuff diff cover, custom truss

79 Dana 60 rear, machined for 35 spline 4340 shafts, 5.38s, spooled, disk brakes, Rockcrusher cover, custom truss

******* Ram hydro assist

38x12.50x16.5 TSL on H1s with Coppehead Fab rock ring

3-link front w/ Ballistic joints, 4.5" coil spring w/ inch spacer
custom rear leaf moved back about 3 inch w/ traction bar
Fox remote resi up front 90/60 valving, swayaway piggybacks on rear

1-5/8 x .134" wall EWS interior custom cage

wb @ 106"
Jeep height is just a hair over 6 ft tall
27" to the rockers
21" to the belly

and lots more.

On to the build..... I have had this Jeep for 8 years, and went through many stages with it, every one making it preform better offroad, but also showed it limitations of the the stock axles and suspension design. This last stage has taken almost two years to finish(this is why I didn't start a build page then) It will never be done if you know what I mean but here it is for now.

8 years ago just put a 3 in lift, 31x10.5s, bumper and waxed her up it was my DD(someday I wished i would have left it this way:shaking:)

8 years later(2 days ago) posers shot measuring for my rear bumps

i wanted to keep this looking like a cherokee hence th reason for not cutting it at the firewall and building a buggy (that will be down the road with a real chassis)

started with this rustbucket

cut it to fit a 78-79 shaft(was not fun getting the tube out of the innner c)

starting trussing it and mocking up all my mounts, I used Ballistic mounts for the coils and lower arm mounts everything else I made.

kept builiding and ended up with this

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
crossmember started as a rusty's offroad I had on it, I cut it up so it would sit higher between the unibody rails and added the lower link mounts and boxed them in.

upper link

all tucked up

then I made 2nd crossmember that is removeable and serves as the traction bar mount. I tied the crossmember to the traction bar mount with a piece of dimpled die 1/8" to form the belly skid that will be skinned with uhmw.

as you can see I made some dimpled boatside they will also get sking with uhmw

#19 ·
update

Got the engine skid done and then skined it with some uhmw, the is crossmember skid and engine skid bolt to one another and are both removable, I bought a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve W/ Nipple so I could do oil changes with out dropping the uhmw and engine skid :smokin:

started with 1/8 stainless that had laying around and added bacing to it.

then dimpled it and welded nuts to it so the uhmw could be bolted to it

all on the jeep before the uhmw

then with the uhmw cut, beveled,routed,bent and holes countersunk I bolted it on with 5/16 ss tapered allen bolts:rolleyes:

#20 · (Edited)
this is going back in thime but i never showed how i did the front bumper/winch mount.
started with this

cut the front cross member out and slide this on

added tubing

some more

winch bolted up and some solid stock I added to run the winch rope through(keep it out of the pullys) down to the axle for a suck down

all done and getting paint

#23 ·
Looks great....one suggestion though. When I installed my 5 points, they had suggestions on what angle to mount the shoulder harnesses. The installation pictures showed no more than 10 degrees angle down from the passengers' shoulders, back to where they mount. This is to prevent the shoulder straps from actually compressing your spine in a collision. I got lucky, and when I did my cage years ago, put my cross bar for 5 points right about where it needed to be. But if you're not worried about it, and only plan on using them for slow crawlin, shouldn't be an issue... Just thought I'd throw it out there, let you know what I discovered in my harness install.

#27 ·
show me how the shoulder belts are going to compress past the 1/2" soild stock I have welded to the cage:shaking: the mounting point in my set up is just that it is not the fulcrum of where compression is going to be exerted. all the downward force of those shoulder belts in a crash is going to be placed on the "loops" with are within specs of any harness mounting. plus when I get real seats they will get changed to fit those seats.

#30 · (Edited)
update time....

decided to chop the back off and add a comanche tailgate:flipoff2:

3 cuts and about 2 min later I had this

cut and shorten the bumper that I just built 6 months ago to bring it in tighter the the body and started to add tube.

made some end caps for the bumper that double as d-rings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.