97 XJ D60/14B 37x12.50 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 120422
The jeep was about 80% complete when The Freeak sent me an invite to help cut new trails at a park in Shamokin PA that is in the process of being built. At this point the Jeep was able to support it’s own weight but didn’t have any brakes, driveshafts, the steering wasn’t plumbed, the front clip wasn’t installed, the frame stiffeners weren’t welded, the front bumper/winch wasn’t installed, the beadlocks weren’t welded, and the tires weren’t mounted. In the following 11 days I spent nearly 90-100 hours working on the jeep until all hours of the night in an effort to complete it in time. And we got it near 95% complete… there is still a bit of work to do… rear bumpstops/fender trimming, building new front driveshaft, a cage and a front bumper to name a few things.

It survived some mild wheeling that day and frankly I was stoked to make it through without something falling apart. I will keep this thread updated as the project evolves and I make changes and modifications to the design.

A great deal of this was made possible with the help of my dad... he spent countless Sundays helping me wrench on the Jeep... in the final week when I was pushing to get it done he was over for a few hours every night... if it wasn't for his help it very well could have been another 13 months before the jeep was done.
Attached Images

miteclgst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 32437
Awesome build man, that's some nice looking fab work!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 91325
Shamokin

I have been hearing a lot about the new Off Road Vehicle Park, "Shamokin" I am from NJ and look forward to wheeling a new place in PA. You are off to a very good start on your build, you might be able to keep up when your done, lol.
Echo4charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
HEY NOW!

About time you posted this here.

And it's been a pleasure working with you on this... I am always happy to share my experiences with others in hopes that they might enjoy an easier solution.

Last edited by the freeak; 12-23-2011 at 11:27 AM.
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 175896
Nice.. hope to see more pic's

my build http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=165256
bbrancheau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 182406
That crossmember is a work of art! very nice!
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jeepstang View Post
Awesome build man, that's some nice looking fab work!
Thanks! This was my first real full-bore fabrication project... I tried to take my time fitting pieces and I think it made a real difference in the finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4charlie View Post
I have been hearing a lot about the new Off Road Vehicle Park, "Shamokin" I am from NJ and look forward to wheeling a new place in PA. You are off to a very good start on your build, you might be able to keep up when your done, lol.
I hope so! The jeep has only a few very mild trails under its belt... To be honest they were no more difficult than your average logging road... However, they did make for a good shake down run. From what I've seen, this new place is pretty sweet... You won't be disappointed if you decide to make the trip when it opens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the freeak View Post
HEY NOW!

About time you posted this here.

And it's been a pleasure working with you on this... I am always happy to share my experiences with others in hopes that they might enjoy an easier
solution.
I can't say it enough... Your help was invaluable... Saved me a lot of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrancheau View Post
Nice.. hope to see more pic's

my build http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=165256

The freeak and I both realized after the fact that we didn't take many pictures, I wish I grabbed a few more but I think I was preoccupied... I spent most of my time hoping that parts wouldn't start flying off the Jeep and leave me stranded on it's debut run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
That crossmember is a work of art! very nice!
Thanks! I am happy with the way it turned out... The design still needs to prove itself
Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Dad and I both spent our day off working on the trailer... as I mentioned before the front of the jeep is a bit too wide to make it past the fenders on the trailer.. when I took it out for it's first run I had to throw a set of 29" tires on the front and swap the 37's in the parking lot... this was a real PITA... the plan is to make the fenders easily removeable for loading and unloading the jeep.. without the fenders I gain an additional 4" of width. I will take the stock fenders, add a bit of steel in a few areas and hold them onto the trailer with 1/4 turn cam locks (a stronger version of the zeus clip)

The welded rear will be replaced with a detroit locker that the wife bought me for Christmas.

I began fabbing the rear bumpstops and they will be adjustable. I will set them up so that I can run the jeep temporarily without doing the rear fender trimming and then when I get that done I will be able to adjust them and gain a bit of uptravel.

The next time I get to work on this will be after Christmas so Happy Holidays Everyone!
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 198969
Send a message via AIM to xjbrian219
What a cool build! Subscribed
xjbrian219 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 143616
Very nice fab work . very impressed
Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
D53

Member # 83155
That crossmember looks like it belongs on a tank , that's some pretty sick fab work. Looking forward to further progress on your rig.
D53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 81189
Best Xmember I've seen to date. Way overkill but still, it's very nice my friend.
Ditch those 37s and put some 42" Rockers on that beech!

I'm over by Pittsburgh, in OH...
we have 4 parks over this way
-Wellsville, OH
-Outback Adventure, Eau Claire PA
-Rock Run, Patton, PA
-Doe Valley, Windber PA

I have relatives in Carlisle, one day I'll make it over that way for some wheelin!

Last edited by barillms; 12-24-2011 at 06:20 PM.
barillms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 189941
very cool build, looks like you do pretty good work! Nice Jeep
Old 12-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbrian219 View Post
What a cool build! Subscribed
Thanks! I'm going to try and get out to the garage sometime in the next few days and get a few pictures of the stuff I missed during the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cherokee8 View Post
Very nice fab work . very impressed
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D53 View Post
That crossmember looks like it belongs on a tank , that's some pretty sick fab work. Looking forward to further progress on your rig.
Thanks... Funny thing is that my buddy said the same thing when I sent him a picture of it all tacked together. I am hoping that keying the parts in an attempt to take some of the stress off of the welds will keep it strong... time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barillms View Post
Best Xmember I've seen to date. Way overkill but still, it's very nice my friend.
Ditch those 37s and put some 42" Rockers on that beech!

I'm over by Pittsburgh, in OH...
we have 4 parks over this way
-Wellsville, OH
-Outback Adventure, Eau Claire PA
-Rock Run, Patton, PA
-Doe Valley, Windber PA

I have relatives in Carlisle, one day I'll make it over that way for some wheelin!
There are a lot of places that I have yet to go... really I have only been up to Rausch Creek and this new park in Shamokin... they are the two closest places since Paragon closed... The 37's are temporary... the rubber is super hard probably because they are old. I may do a little grooving on them in the coming months but I think I would like something with a wider footprint... afterall they are rather stretched over the wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat95YJ View Post
very cool build, looks like you do pretty good work! Nice Jeep
Thanks, the positive feedback makes me feel like all of the extra hours in the garage were worth it. I'm sure I could have had the rig rolling much sooner if I just did the essentials but in the end I wanted something I would be proud of... it doesn't hold a stick to many of the rigs on this board but I really feel that it represents the best I can do with the tools and skills I possess.

Once I have some time I really want to try to link all of the builds and information that I found useful... there is a lot of really good information out there... it just takes a lot of sifting through crap to find it.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 180792
Nice fab work man!
weeder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 175896
Forgot to say great work!! How wide is you're jeep? I have the same issue with fitting on the trailer. I moved fenders out two inches each side.
bbrancheau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrancheau View Post
Forgot to say great work!! How wide is you're jeep? I have the same issue with fitting on the trailer. I moved fenders out two inches each side.
Thanks! I believe that the jeep is between 86"-87" in the front (measured from outside edge of tire to outside edge of tire) with the fenders removed I have around 86" so the jeep tires may rub the trailer tires a little bit when I'm driving it on the trailer but that no big deal. I looked into moving the fenders outward but I was worried that the inside of the trailer tires would rub the inside of the fender when going over a bounce.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Finally had the Jeep out for a shake down run this past Saturday 5/26 for a formal shake-down run... All said and done I was really impressed with how the Jeep performed.

I blew a tire in the first 20 minutes of wheeling... the tire showed signs of dry rot but it wasn't anything that had me too concerned... a rock just made a bit of contact with the sidewall and boom... Luckly I carry a spare and the battery impact made quick work of the swap. More on the tires later...

We began running some black trails in different parts of the park... Unfortunately the other rig in our group had some overheating problems so we headed for the comp course so we could stay close to the parking lot in case the issue got any worse.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Few more pics
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 120422
A few more pics
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Carnage for the day... 4 tires with either cuts or chunks missing and two rather unhappy fenders...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 120422
So about the tires...

I ran about 8psi in the tires and got decent traction, however, I was really disappointed with their durability... I really didn't expect to have to replace these after a single run... I think their destruction could be attributed to a few things... But I'm not sure what was the deciding factor... 1) Dry Rot... the worst of the tires was the one that popped.. the rest of them were only showing a little cracking right near the bead and I didn't think much of it 2) A rim too wide for the tire size... I used some rims I found on Craigslist to make up the beadlocks... the rims were 10" wide in stock form... I added the beadlock to the outside of the rim effectively adding another 1/2" to the total width... I'm thinking that this made the sidewalls way more susceptible to damage than a narrower rim would. 3) Could the thick sidewalls - load range D, just not be flexible enough for low pressure?

Did anyone ever have a similar experience with the Military 37x12.50's?

What width should I run if I decide to keep my beadlocks? 16"? I'm hoping to find something used, even if I had to graduate to a 38.5... Unfortunately 16.5 isn't exactly a popular size (another mistake I made during the build)
I've only seen a few companies that are still making tires for this wheel size... Interco is one of the few. I might end up going with an IROK or a TSL. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 167615
16.5'

I am going down the same road. I got a pair of d60's and 16.5 alum 8 lug wheels with 35's for free. I am having a hard time finding alum bead locks, plus alot of people are saying to sell what I have and get 17's instead. You just cant beat $400 for a set of military tires with almost 95% tread.
A buddy said you wont have much luck with the side walls and might have to deal with rot on the tire.
What made you choose a 14 bolt for the rear? I have seen alot of guys running them. Why not run the d60? What are the pro/cons of the d60 v the 14 bolt?
Thanks!
Fireghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 120422
Well I don't want to get into a heated debate about the D60 vs the 14 bolt because, frankly, I'm not super knowledgeable about the subject... however I will tell you why I decided to go with the 14.

The D60 in semi-float versions comes with 30 (or the older 16) spline shafts with a average diameter of 1.31" and a minimum diameter of 1.25" - before this build I had a 9" in the rear of this jeep, the specs on that are 1.32" and 1.29" respectively... I would have gained strength if I went from a 9" to a D60 because I would be upgrading from Semi-float to full float... but it didn't seem to me like a huge upgrade. The 14 bolt has 1.5" shafts with a minimum diameter of 1.34" - additionally the pinion shaft on the 14 bolt is 1.75" in diameter vs 1.625" in the D60 - finally the 14 bolt has an additional bearing at the head of the pinion (3 pinion bearings total) that helps alleviate deflection of the pinion head under load - the D60 only has 2 bearings.

There are ways to use junkyard axle parts, boar out the spindles (not always necessary) and beef up the D60, however, my 14 bolt was relatively cheap ($150) and it required no modifications.

Sometimes the overall size of the pumpkin on the 14 bolt can be a problem with smaller tires... I shaved a decent amount off the bottom of mine (effectively making my 14 bolt a 13 bolt) and didn't notice it hanging up on anything this past weekend. It seemed as though the grinding I did on the bottom of the housing made a nice ramp and helped the axle slide over the rocks.

I found this write-up while I was researching my rear axle choices and I thought it was very informative - basically he tells you how to upgrade a D60 to 35 spline shafts with junkyard components http://www.bsfab.net/?p=22

Hope that helps,
Adam
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 120422
OBA project

Before wheeling I put OBA in the jeep using the stock compressor and the following parts:
1/2" OD Tube to 1/2" Fem NPT Fitting
1/2" Male NPT to 3/8" Fem NPT Reducer
3/8" Check Valve from AirBagIt.com
3/8" Close Nipple
3/8" Brass T's x 2
3/8" Male NPT to 1/8" Fem NPT Reducer
1/8" NPT Pressure Switch 90 on 120 off from AirBagIt.com
3/8" x 2" NPT Nipple
3/8" Male NPT to 1/4" Fem NPT Reducer
1/4" Pop Off Valve 140 PSI from AirBagIt.com
3/8" Air Hose
11 Central Pneumatic Air Tank HF# 65595
1/4" Male Air Hose Fitting
1/4" Fem Air Hose Couplings x 2
30A Automotive Relays x 2
Toggle Switch
1/2" NPT Oil Fog Lubricator HF 68282
5/8" ID Heater Hose x 8'
5/8" x 1/2" NPT Barb Fitting

I ran the heater hose from the intake over to the Fog Oiler to the Low Side of the Compressor then out of the compressor, through the mock manifold I made up to house the pressure switch and pop-off valve then out to the tank via the 3/8" air hose. I fitted the tank with 2 1/4" Female couplings so it could be easily removed from the system and still hold air. The manifold and oil fogger are supported by a 1/4" round bar bracket that I built off of the over flow tank mount. Both the manifold and oil fogger are connected to the bracket via rubberized steel clamps.

I didn't know how much current the A/C Clutch drew while operating so I used two relays to keep from pulling current through the toggle switch and pressure switch. This was probably overkill and I could have went directly from the toggle to the pressure switch. It works so I'm happy.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.