xj front stretch keeping coils - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 227890
xj front stretch keeping coils

I had a stretch of 4" planned for the xj and I'm curious how you all have stretched it and how far? Did you retain the coils or put on big boy panties and go coilovers? Trying to avoid coilovers, have already lost inner fenders , planning on 38's , but will run the 36's until then. The coils get hung on frame rails as it tapers in for coils. I see a few using inner fenders and just lengthen the arms but with the coil pitched forward I think things would get scary.

So do I cut the front off and rebuild it, or have you stretched a decent amount successfully?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 178399
Great white did his pretty well. Mine are on a slight angle and I don't think it will effect anything. Haven't test driven it yet. So time will tell.
GeneticDisposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
DMR Offroad

Member # 184680
Dont tilt the spring, mount the bucket on the axle side appropriately. Mine is about 3" forward. More than that it gets really hard to package the drag link/pitman arm and track bar. That is if you arent doing full hydro. If you have enough lift height to get the track bar over the diff than its easier, but if its low you have to keep it in front of the housing. Because even if you put a bend in it you get really close to the pan.
The stock bucket on an xj is like 2-2.5" foward of the axle centerline, so even mounting it centered makes up that amount, and you can always mount it slightly behind.
www.dmroffroad.com
ct67_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 227890
Okay so my centered coil buckets did half the work for me, good to know. Wanted to stay away from the spring angle. its hard to say how far out I am since the rear is linked already, and will be redone for a 4" rear also. Wanted to be longer to improve my app/dep angles. I'm at 106" now, want a touch more.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
DMR Offroad

Member # 184680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Okay so my centered coil buckets did half the work for me, good to know. Wanted to stay away from the spring angle. its hard to say how far out I am since the rear is linked already, and will be redone for a 4" rear also. Wanted to be longer to improve my app/dep angles. I'm at 106" now, want a touch more.
You dont have to go crazy far up front with a 38+ tire to have a really good approach. Even about 3" out on 37's The leading edge of my tire past the seam of the fender/header panel.
www.dmroffroad.com
ct67_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
I had a stretch of 4" planned for the xj and I'm curious how you all have stretched it and how far? Did you retain the coils or put on big boy panties and go coilovers? Trying to avoid coilovers, have already lost inner fenders , planning on 38's , but will run the 36's until then. The coils get hung on frame rails as it tapers in for coils. I see a few using inner fenders and just lengthen the arms but with the coil pitched forward I think things would get scary.

So do I cut the front off and rebuild it, or have you stretched a decent amount successfully?
You can stretch with coils just fine. I did 3....didnt see any reason to go more. Plus the rear was stretched and I didnt want anymore than a 112" WB. I cover how to remove, plate and reinforce that mount pretty well in my thread. Page 20ish I think. Its quite simple to do really.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 131485
I'm running about 3" in the front of mine and am running the Ballistic Fab combo brackets. Those position the coil almost right over the axle to begin with with a little play forwards and backwards.

ct67_72 is right though. I'm running the 3" stretch on 38.5's (measure 37's) and the front of the tire is even with the back of the header panel.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 227890
Thanks garv, and GW I didn't see much in the build about the stretch. Did notice the bowed coils and the fix. I have no inner fenders anyways so no bowing issues. I will probably go for the 3" mark and call it good. I had planned for this in mounting the coil buckets. They were centered on axle(front to back) and I had placed them an inch or so wider than stock locations. Knew the frame dipped in and came back out so compensated a little. Thanks guys I'll drop old inmers back in place and get a rough idea of how far i am out.