Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ Cab Chop and 404s Build-Up

181K views 208 replies 66 participants last post by  859054 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you have asked for a build-up thread so here goes.

Started last October with:

Specs then:
-HP44 and 9" - full-width, 4.88s, Ox front and Detroit rear
-9" lift, 3-link with trac bar, leaves/blocks
-37" Irok radials, etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
While doing the 4-link, I decided to stetch the wheelbase a bit - added 3" to the rear and 2" to the front. Also, about the same time, the 42" Iroks became available and I had to have those:D In order to keep the stock drums, I needed to custom build some 17" steel wheels.

#37 ·
xtremexj94 said:
Found a Comanche at the Pick-n-pull and cut the rear cab off
That is some nice fab work, but I was wondering:

With all of the custom work (new bed, roof ext. etc) you did, why did you bother getting a comanche rear section? Why not just add a pannel and rear glass to the original body?

I have never done fab work of that magnitude, but is seems that you didn't get much advantage from that.

Not that I am looking to critisize.. I am genuinely curious since I have an XJ and am considering that conversion as next year's project. Would you do it the same way if you had it to do over?

#38 ·
MassZJ - up travel is set at 4" with bumpstops - there are no issues.

Fozzy Bear - it was much quicker (and less stressful) to use an existing section that you only need to trim and graft in.

#41 ·
#42 ·
#44 ·
one of my buddies just shot me this link!! Your xj looks badass!!! good clean work! on your previous 44, did you use the radius arms? if so if you have any pics or tips on how you rigged them up would you mind posting them. I was thinking about just tapping in heims and mounting it up the unibody tied in with a crossmember. thanks for any help

#45 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys - it means an awful lot to get respect on such a hardcore board. :D

ashmanjeepxj - I was waiting for you to chime in - I've been following your build-up for quite a while - it's definitely sick :smokin:

texasxj - the HP44 came out of a 77 1/2 F250 so it was leaf sprung - not much help for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.