Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ Cab Chop and 404s Build-Up

181K views 208 replies 66 participants last post by  859054 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you have asked for a build-up thread so here goes.

Started last October with:

Specs then:
-HP44 and 9" - full-width, 4.88s, Ox front and Detroit rear
-9" lift, 3-link with trac bar, leaves/blocks
-37" Irok radials, etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#103 ·
Sharp said:
well i'm back in edmonton, you guys want to set up a place and time to meet, have a few beers i'd love to see that rig. Shaun is that you, we are yet to meet too! :beer:
Yeah, we'll have to do that sometime after New Years. And yes, that is Shaun.

#105 ·
Hey Shane,
Let me borrow your diffs n tires... please please please.... ahhh common... I just need them .... forever.:) I know I know...... but my Heep is now parked for the revamp thingys. Gonna go with Prostars and Goodyear Front runners all around.:shaking: :shaking: Talk to you this weekend buddy.

#107 ·
Maybe in the next couple of weeks - I'm trying to get my disc brake swap done so I can just drive it to meet you guys. We'll see what I get done this weekend and I'll have a better idea.

#109 ·
Sharp said:
Shane i'm BORED STIFF, please give me a call if you need a hand!!! sold my bender and welder before i went to Europe so i have nothing that i can do on my own rig...
thanks Shalil
484-7860:smokin:
Thanks for the offer, but it's more of a parts waiting game than anything else. That and some custom brackets for the calipers.

#111 ·
bigtoyfreak said:
Looks awesome Shane! You'll have to come down and wheel with Tim and I sometime!
Hey Corey - how's the rear steer coming? I'm just finishing up the disc swap as we speak so I should be in shape to come and wheel with you guys - thanks for the props. Give me a heads up if you're going out some time and I'll make arrangements to come down. For everyone else, I will try and get some pictures up of the disc swap in the next couple of days.

#112 · (Edited)
OK - as promised, some pics of the custom disc brakes.:grinpimp:
These are the stock hubs that I had turned down and drilled for 6 on 5.5
Thanks to Wolf359 for supplying me with the extra set of factory hubs.

#113 · (Edited)
The brackets aren't all that fancy, but it was the best I could do with an angle grinder and drill press. The spacers were made on a buddy's small hobby lathe.

#115 · (Edited)

The vented rotors are from an early 80s Landcruiser and the calipers are Forged Billet Dynalites with 1.75" pistons. I will be using a single 1/4" spacer for a little extra caliper to wheel clearance.

#116 ·

Special thanks to Geargoyle for sharing his information on how he did this swap and providing me with part numbers for the calipers and the pads.

#117 · (Edited)
I drove it this past Sunday with the factory master cylinder just for a baseline and basically had the pedal an inch from the floor. I have an E350 master that I am going to try this weekend and see how that works. If the E350 doesn't give me the results I'm looking for I will try a master from a mid-70s Marquis with 4-wheel discs.

#119 ·
Well, I got the E350 master installed on the weekend. It made a definite difference, but not what I was looking for. I removed the o-ring from the proportioning valve and that made a huge difference. I can't lock up the 42s but it definitely stops now. I'm still thinking that I may swap in the 4-wheel disc Marquis master because I still feel that the rear calipers are not getting the proper fluid level from the E350 master. If I was using smaller rear calipers the E350 would probably be perfect.

#120 ·
xtremexj94 said:
Well, I got the E350 master installed on the weekend. It made a definite difference, but not what I was looking for. I removed the o-ring from the proportioning valve and that made a huge difference. I can't lock up the 42s but it definitely stops now. I'm still thinking that I may swap in the 4-wheel disc Marquis master because I still feel that the rear calipers are not getting the proper fluid level from the E350 master. If I was using smaller rear calipers the E350 would probably be perfect.
Im running larger calipers (Ford 1tons front and rear) and my E350 MC feals as you describe. I havent even pulled out the proportioning valve O-ring, You just pull out the piston and remove the Oring?

#121 ·
i'm running the e350 MC and booster. very easy to install it. its got the 1-1/8" bore so it should be planty for my 1 ton calipers.

#122 · (Edited)
ashmanjeepXJ said:
Im running larger calipers (Ford 1tons front and rear) and my E350 MC feals as you describe. I havent even pulled out the proportioning valve O-ring, You just pull out the piston and remove the Oring?
Yeah, you just remove the 13/16" nut from the end of the valve and pull the spring & piston out - it's kind of a square shaped o-ring. Then, just put the piston and spring back in and tighten up the nut.

#123 ·
Kraqa said:
i'm running the e350 MC and booster. very easy to install it. its got the 1-1/8" bore so it should be planty for my 1 ton calipers.
If I was running a regular 1-ton calipers up front and something like a 1/2-ton caliper in the rear, then the E350 would probably work wonders like it has for many others before me. However, I'm running Wilwood 1.75" 4-piston calipers front and rear, so I need a little more fluid volume and the Marquis master has basically the same size chambers front to back. I'll try and get this changed over tomorrow night or this weekend and it should do the trick.

#125 · (Edited)
longjeeper said:
thats freakin awesome just what i was planing to do with my comanche one question how much clearance from the ground to the bottom of the mog diff just wanted to know
It's about 18" with 11 PSI in the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.