Project 1ton Shit Missile - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53guy View Post
Yeah, but why? If you're going through the whole front axle build hassel, why not do it right? And this way you can get upper mounts done and pinion angle correct at the same time. And joints can only correct so much of a pinion angle and then they can only correct for either pinion angle or castor angle and then you'll have to compromise one of them for the other. Do it right, get them both in.

OK I made the assumption arms would be made a the same time. If you have arms already that you are using you will have to build within those perameters.

I personally will be cutting and turning my knuckles. This way pinion angle and caster are not dependent on one another. However I drive it like it is now. Cutting the knuckles will come this winter. Mostly on the trialer to wheeling.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 77930
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
OK I made the assumption arms would be made a the same time. If you have arms already that you are using you will have to build within those perameters.

I personally will be cutting and turning my knuckles. This way pinion angle and caster are not dependent on one another. However I drive it like it is now. Cutting the knuckles will come this winter. Mostly on the trialer to wheeling.

Nice, I'm doing the same, cutting and turning the knuckles, but I'll have to rotate my housing some to accomidate the TNT Y link arms. I think they only have about 2" of adjustment, so I'll put them at 1" and set the pinion.
53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 14762
Quote:
I think they only have about 2" of adjustment, so I'll put them at 1" and set the pinion.
When adjusted out ~2.5" you'll still have 1" of thread engaugement on 'em.

I dig the build. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Take lots of pics and keep us updated!

...and good luck on the recovery.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 77930
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscorpion View Post
When adjusted out ~2.5" you'll still have 1" of thread engaugement on 'em.
Sweet, thanks for the clarification. Lol, I'm just waiting on them to get here....whenever you get them in I guess...

I do have to say I really did like the 60 truss that you put on that axle. Nice build and nice to see it in person.....maybe next time there wont be an airshow next door and I can show Liz.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 73680
well now that my sammy project is starting to whine down and the ole lady sat me down and said that i shouldn't sell this project...the bitch is getting chopped tubed....i'm no artist, my scanner took a shit, and i can't photochop for shit...so here's what i did...it's funny but it work and you'll get the idea...

i plan on putting the rear hatch on to enclose in the cab, but if that starts to stuck oh well...this is a summer rig with no doors, and it will get scrapped quick...i will also be custom fabbing the rear 4 link also i think...never made one but i think that i would do a pretty decent job at it...

chime, flame, fawk say my drawing sucks and make fun of me i don't really care....i know it suck and looks like the shit mobile, and not the shit missile...but i would definately appreciate lots of help...thanks guys...laters, pipe..
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #181 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
That is probably the second "worst" drawing I have ever seen.

(first is attached)

I dig it, and don't waste your time enclosing the cab. Make a soft top if you're that worried about it.
Attached Images

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 73680
DING DING HERE COMES THE SHIT MOBILE.....man i don't feel so bad now....holy shit does that drawing suck...you're definately right mine is second worse...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 85387
Send a message via AIM to the Merg

"I like lots of tube"
Vetteboy, is that crayon or colored pencil? Please tell me crayon...

It's really hard to do anything but laugh at either of those pictures.

[QUOTE=YJ_and_Corey;11061117]are you the guy who stands up at the movies and screams "The Butler did it!"?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by the Merg; 10-04-2007 at 09:50 AM.
the Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #184 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
I didn't make the one I posted, I stole it from someone else.

It's not a serious drawing, of course.

edit: Pipe, you'll probably want some more vertical separation on the rear links where they meet the axle.

Flying Pig Racing #512

Last edited by vetteboy79; 10-04-2007 at 10:16 AM.
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 98438
Who gives a fuck about the quality of the drawing. Lets just be glad that "sell it" idea is out of your head and you are going to finish this beast
sourbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 85387
Send a message via AIM to the Merg
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
I didn't make the one I posted, I stole it from someone else.

It's not a serious drawing, of course.

edit: Pipe, you'll probably want some more vertical separation on the rear links where they meet the axle.
That's not a serious drawing? I haven't been this devastated since I found out the Easter Bunny didn't actually lay the eggs he brings around.

Pipe, aesthetically, it looks like that'll be pretty sweet. That's about all I'm good for advising on.

[QUOTE=YJ_and_Corey;11061117]are you the guy who stands up at the movies and screams "The Butler did it!"?[/QUOTE]
the Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 51692
Send a message via ICQ to rocknbronco Send a message via Yahoo to rocknbronco
Damn all those crayons remind me of drawing trucks in kindergarden now I feel old...
Its great to see your project going more and more hardcore.......
Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 73680
yeah now all i have to do is figure out how to use this damn 4 link calculator....hahaha....
Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 81654
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipehitter155 View Post
well now that my sammy project is starting to whine down and the ole lady sat me down and said that i shouldn't sell this project...the bitch is getting chopped tubed....i'm no artist, my scanner took a shit, and i can't photochop for shit...so here's what i did...it's funny but it work and you'll get the idea...

i plan on putting the rear hatch on to enclose in the cab, but if that starts to stuck oh well...this is a summer rig with no doors, and it will get scrapped quick...i will also be custom fabbing the rear 4 link also i think...never made one but i think that i would do a pretty decent job at it...

chime, flame, fawk say my drawing sucks and make fun of me i don't really care....i know it suck and looks like the shit mobile, and not the shit missile...but i would definately appreciate lots of help...thanks guys...laters, pipe..
Hey bro, last weekend Jess and I were sitting at Kelly's Tavern proceeding to get fawked up and we drew up a rough drawing of my new buggy, soooooo, I know how the "drawing" thing goes....

(1st Annual Alpha Gorilla run 40 and under champion)

Last edited by lockedupLJ; 10-05-2007 at 06:34 PM.
lockedupLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #190 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21296
That front control arm looks like a fucking pelican with ball in his mouth

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 77930
Quote:

Ya know, the more I look at that truss, the more I'm convinced that you've got the coil buckets swaped. I'm pretty sure the shock mount is supposed to go on the outside isn't? Just doesn't make sense, cause the buckets are forward of the tube like its supposed to be....i donno.

Last edited by 53guy; 11-28-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 73680
you cut yours off didn't you...damn the more i look at i'm think the same thing....well we're putting together....i will test fit it this week....we'll see...
pipehitter155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 77930
Quote:
you cut yours off didn't you...damn the more i look at i'm think the same thing....well we're putting together....i will test fit it this week....we'll see...

Mine never came with them.... Mine came with coilover mounts from ballistic fab.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 67618
Send a message via ICQ to WilBadger Send a message via AIM to WilBadger Send a message via MSN to WilBadger Send a message via Yahoo to WilBadger
Quote:
Ya know, the more I look at that truss, the more I'm convinced that you've got the coil buckets swaped. I'm pretty sure the shock mount is supposed to go on the outside isn't? Just doesn't make sense, cause the buckets are forward of the tube like its supposed to be....i donno.

No the buckets are facing the right way .I think it comes down to who ever welded it up that day was high on fumes or something.The shock mounts should have been welded to the other side,the outside edge of the bucket not the inside edge.
WilBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 77930
that's what I thought. Eric, you might not have issues with it set up like it is, it just seemed off to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilBadger View Post
No the buckets are facing the right way .I think it comes down to who ever welded it up that day was high on fumes or something.The shock mounts should have been welded to the other side,the outside edge of the bucket not the inside edge.
Or they welded the right one on the left and the left one on the right. Either way easy fix.

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 11-30-2007 at 05:59 AM.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #197 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25239
The shocks will most likely hit the frame with the mounts in that location. I had to move my lower shock mounts outboard from the stock location to keep them from hitting at full articulation.

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 91096
Send a message via Yahoo to Rebelfish
I've seen you driving around Va beach a lot. I always liked your rig and I think I've seen you at the VBJO meetups. But awesome rig!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 67618
Send a message via ICQ to WilBadger Send a message via AIM to WilBadger Send a message via MSN to WilBadger Send a message via Yahoo to WilBadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Or they welded the right one on the left and the left one on the right. Either way easy fix.
Ya that is a possibility since their perches are not off set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
The shocks will most likely hit the frame with the mounts in that location. I had to move my lower shock mounts outboard from the stock location to keep them from hitting at full articulation.
I had to do the same thing .I moved mine down and away .It still wasn't enough and i would hit the shock on the frame from time to time

It also allowed me to weld the perch to the LCA mount as well.
WilBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 87273
Send a message via AIM to Preppi12
Pipe...Nice to see you're still wheeling. Or getting your shit together to start wheeling the xj again. I ran with you a time or two at Crozet this year (white ZJ). I like the build a lot but I have to say I'm surprised to see you cut it up as clean as it was before. Get better and get the xj done. See you on the trail!