Intention of this forum. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Member # 1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance
Intention of this forum.

I wasn't really sure what the intention of this forum would be when I created it. I knew there were enough XJ owners out there, but how many people are really hardcore with their XJs, is the question...

So for now, I think the intention of the forum is Hardcore to "Medium Core"...

I will rename the forum to "Hardcore Jeep Cherokee" if you'd like.. But do me a favor - if a newbie comes in here and asks what size tire will fit on his XJ, please dont' tell him to "FUCK OFF AND DRINK BLEACH!!!" How about not being a douche bag, and either 1) Report the post to a moderator, or 2) suggest he post his question in the Newbie Jeep forum. The mods will handle the posts that don't belong here. Everyone was a newbie once, and I'm sick of people thinking they are cool because they are dicks. You're not cool, you're just a dick.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10739
haha

sounds good.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
How about this for a rename?

Jeep - Cherokee
Hardcore Unibody tech here. Newbies beware!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Hardcore Unibody tech forum info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think of this as a college level forum, so don't post kindergarten level topics here. So everything that's not "hardcore" belongs in the Non-hardcore Jeep forum.

What's "hardcore"?

Things like unibody reinforcement, fabbing 3 and 4 link suspensions, JeepSpeed builds, big tires, big axles, fabbing trans adapters, fabbing hardcore parts. The common theme is fabbing.

What is "non hardcore"'?

Lift kits, what size tire fits, bolt ons, drivability issues, parts identification, and countless other things.

(Stolen from the Hardcore Jeep Forum and changed some...)
Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thats what she said

Member # 39484
Send a message via AIM to hoodrichxj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I wasn't really sure what the intention of this forum would be when I created it. I knew there were enough XJ owners out there, but how many people are really hardcore with their XJs, is the question...

So for now, I think the intention of the forum is Hardcore to "Medium Core"...

I will rename the forum to "Hardcore Jeep Cherokee" if you'd like.. But do me a favor - if a newbie comes in here and asks what size tire will fit on his XJ, please dont' tell him to "FUCK OFF AND DRINK BLEACH!!!" How about not being a douche bag, and either 1) Report the post to a moderator, or 2) suggest he post his question in the Newbie Jeep forum. The mods will handle the posts that don't belong here. Everyone was a newbie once, and I'm sick of people thinking they are cool because they are dicks. You're not cool, you're just a dick.

Amen brotha.
hoodrichxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43562
There's no need to change the name. The Cherokees are a unique design, and nothing like the other Jeep models. If a beginer has a question about a cherokee, he has a better chance of finding the answer here than anywhere else.

Don't forget that these are grocerie getters that we take out and beat up. If you make this a forrum for the most extreme cherokee builders(i.e. I accedently rolled my Cherokee, so I cut the roof off, and through a bunch of tube at it. Now I'm extreme), you won't have much traffic.

If someone has a simple question, politley answer it.( you'll get a bigger post count).
Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13959
Send a message via AIM to 87JeepWrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
There's no need to change the name. The Cherokees are a unique design, and nothing like the other Jeep models. If a beginer has a question about a cherokee, he has a better chance of finding the answer here than anywhere else.

i disagree. the purpose of this forum is create a higher level cherokee forum, unlike those found on every other site with the same basic questions. leaving the name as is invites newbie questions, where changing the name may prevent many of those very questions which belong in the newbie jeep section. remember, this is pirates, where "hardcore rock crawling" is supposed to be the norm. obviously other topics are welcome, but do not belong mixed within the hardcore sections. thats how i feel anyway.

[URL="http://www.tr-motorsports.com"]TR Motorsports #108[/URL]
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
This forum should be for the the guys that think outside of the box, get their suntans at night from welding, put their blood and sweat into their builds, aren't afraid of the sawzall, and enjoy building parts instead of buying them.

Should we answer mildly hardcore questions? Yes... Non-hardcore posts should be moved to the correct forum.

This should be a forum that we shouldn't have to read a bunch of BS posts to get to the real tech. This is an extreme 4x4 site and should stay that way.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Heres a good quote that says it very well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Jeep View Post
I, too, want to see this forum dedicated to major modifications and up-grades not normally purchased as a kit, but that require individual ingenuity, innovation, and perseverance in design and execution.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53344
I as well think it should be renamed as I didn't know it was hardcore tech. I just seen Jeep Cherokee and posted up without reading anything about it.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
I think the forum itself is unneccesary. Most of the hard-core guys on here are, came over from NAXJA.

Cherokee's have everything that is similar to TJ's, YJ's except the unibody. Engine, axles, trannies, etc transferes over to the wranglers. Heck even most axle builds swap betweeen XJ's and YJ's or TJ's. A forum only for unibody tech? Pointless IMO.

There is nothing on this forum that can't be answered in the regular harccore jeep forum, all it does is spread the tech out. Alot of the design and builds fromthe wranglers can give ideasfor the XJ's. Or someone on that side might have good ideas for building, since most XJ guys basicly end up building some kind of frame under theirs. So now you loose the inputs from the other forum.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24099
Send a message via AIM to ZJim
Is this forum ONLY XJ or can the rest of us play?
ZJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJim View Post
Is this forum ONLY XJ or can the rest of us play?
Welcome aboard
Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 35601
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
This forum should be for the the guys that think outside of the box, get their suntans at night from welding, put their blood and sweat into their builds, aren't afraid of the sawzall, and enjoy building parts instead of buying them.
Uh, oh.

I'm a box thinker, hide from the arc, keep my hands clean and free from blood and am disgusted by sweat; think sawalls are the next most dangerous thing to a press brake, and prefer to buy everything, because it's a waste of time and effort to do it any other way.

--ron
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Uh, oh.

I'm a box thinker, hide from the arc, keep my hands clean and free from blood and am disgusted by sweat; think sawalls are the next most dangerous thing to a press brake, and prefer to buy everything, because it's a waste of time and effort to do it any other way.

--ron

I'm glad my waders were close. It's getting deep in here quick...
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 85319
TJP for moderator
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
RECON ROCK SLUT

Member # 68433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post

Should we answer mildly hardcore questions? Yes... Non-hardcore posts should be moved to the correct forum.

This should be a forum that we shouldn't have to read a bunch of BS posts to get to the real tech. This is an extreme 4x4 site and should stay that way.
bullshit. I'm here for the chicks and vodka and i'm a newbie in this arena.

Last edited by bholt5035; 05-16-2007 at 09:12 PM.
bholt5035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
RECON ROCK SLUT

Member # 68433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1k View Post
TJP for moderator
Fuck that Sharpie1k for madorator.

Edit: btw. the new forum skin kicks ass

Last edited by bholt5035; 05-16-2007 at 09:28 PM.
bholt5035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 43562
I don't think 6 guys with Cherokees, that concider themselves "extreme", need their own forrum. I like the beginner questions. They keep everything moving. And, I'm always glad to help.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:

Alright, alright. 10-4.

I think that renaming the forum would go a long way towards filtering the types of threads that get started in here. Now that we actually have some moderation (and "someone" to report things to) I think it'll smooth out and be a great addition to the PBB.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 50242
Quote:
I will rename the forum to "Hardcore Jeep Cherokee" if you'd like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
I think that renaming the forum would go a long way towards filtering the types of threads that get started in here. Now that we actually have some moderation (and "someone" to report things to) I think it'll smooth out ...

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholt5035 View Post
btw. the new forum skin kicks ass
X2

Quote:
please dont' tell him to "FUCK OFF AND DRINK BLEACH!!!"
Well,
I can only speak for myself... and to that I say, "OK Lance. I'll abide by that". But as for a general consensus around THIS place... I hope your not holding your breath...

- I'm just sayin' ...

Fozzy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 30111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Don't forget that these are grocerie getters that we take out and beat up. If you make this a forrum for the most extreme cherokee builders(i.e. I accedently rolled my Cherokee, so I cut the roof off, and through a bunch of tube at it. Now I'm extreme), you won't have much traffic.
So what you're trying to say is that TJ's and YJ's out of the box are hard core because you don't have to throw tube at them?
TrailPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 112
Lance has suggested it be a "medium to hard core" forum for now. Let's run with that. If it needs to be more defined down the road, then so be it. So instead of yapping about what we THINK is cool to post or not....... Post up some good tech.

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 76997
my XJ is stock accept for the homebuild (and very small 1.5") lift. i'm not a buy it kinda guy and need advice for where to find certan parts and what fits.... i'm not lookin to be way hardcore. 4" of lift, 32's, locked ft/rr, and some "hardcore" bumpers and sliders... this is (as told to me by the baby-momma) the "baby toter". its gotta pull double duty. it may endup being a "mangled little tin can" as one of my buddies put it when i mashed the rocker (actually wheelin, not just mall crawlin!!) but for now, its medium core.... i like the cherokee forum, so far my questions have gotten awnsered without the flaming, and i try to phrase them so i dont sound like a total dumb@$$. i'll admit, "what does an oxygen sensor look like" and the like dont belong in here, but questions on beginner mods need awnsers from guys who have done them!! all hardcore guys started out with lift blocks, spring spacers, long shackles and over extended brake lines, and dont try to say you didn't. that's why you are now the hardcore guys, you've broken all the soft core (lol i said softcore lol) parts and mall crawler accessories. so a simple, been there, broke that, do this...... awnser will suffice, instead of "you fucktard, what the hell are you thinking, get the hell out!!!!"

or so i think....
Old 05-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 43562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailPirate View Post
So what you're trying to say is that TJ's and YJ's out of the box are hard core because you don't have to throw tube at them?

I didn't mention those cars at all. There is a lot you can do to the cherokees to make them a great car. There's already a forrum for coil overs, exo-cages, and suspention design. When a guy asks a simple question, like what manufactured suspention works best under a Cherokee, he dosn't need a new asshole by some kid behind a computer screen.