Rear XJ leaf spring reversal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Member # 2237
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 292
Rear XJ leaf spring reversal

Just getting back into wheeling, and have been researching some ways that I want to build my 87' XJ....I have seen some guys that have mounted the rear leaf springs backwards to get a little more wheel base...This sounds like a good idea to me in theory, but would like to get some opinions from you guys and maybe some pics from those that have done it...I do realize that I will have to make a trac-bar to prevent axle wrap....That is not a problem.
jbrooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member # 71397
Location: FTW Texas
Posts: 64


I just did mine this weekend. I still need to finish up alot of stuff and a anti-wrap bar.
Krazyxjkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Member # 2237
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 292
No one else???
jbrooks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
ultimatejeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member # 71678
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 123
I have never done it on an XJ sorry.
__________________
My Nutrition Store
http://www.optimalnutrition.com

79 CJ5 (Mall Cruiser) - Finally gaining steam. Will post in the projects forum.[/FONT]
ultimatejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53344
Location: Orleans NE
Posts: 469
If you need or want the extra wheelbase then go for it. If not then i'd just leave well enough alone.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87753
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 81
Hmm....Putting on XJ rear springs on an YJ will already stretch the wheelbase some. Anybody know if running them backwards will provide more stretch?
michael06418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
I went with the Explorer Sport Track leafs, nice and soft 5" of lift and just over 2" wheelbase stretch.
jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Goatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25239
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooks86 View Post
Just getting back into wheeling, and have been researching some ways that I want to build my 87' XJ....I have seen some guys that have mounted the rear leaf springs backwards to get a little more wheel base...This sounds like a good idea to me in theory, but would like to get some opinions from you guys and maybe some pics from those that have done it...I do realize that I will have to make a trac-bar to prevent axle wrap....That is not a problem.
You will waste your springs and have more axle wrap. It's been tried before, unsuccessfully. The front half of the leaf spring does a couple of things besides holding the weight of the rig, it acts as a control arm to transfer the traction/torque to the body, and it controls axle wrap. The rear half of a leaf spring is longer with a wider spacing of the length of the leaves, and so it doesn't do as good a job when turned around to the front.
__________________
Richard Gauthier
Ultra4 Stock Class Team NAXJA /Petty Cash Racing 4643

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24709
Location: Glenville, NY
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj86 View Post
I went with the Explorer Sport Track leafs, nice and soft 5" of lift and just over 2" wheelbase stretch.

Tell us more. I know that SportTrac's are spring under from the factory, did you just bolt up the leafs doing a spring over? Was the eye-to-eye length correct? Did the center-pin provide the extra 2" wheel base gain or did you move it? I am looking for softer rear leafs and this sounds like a great solution, what do you thing about there weight carring capability?
__________________
"Being a man take years of fightin, screwin, drinkin, and whorin. Then more drinkin and then more whorin...if there's time" -Trippin the Rift
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsXJ View Post
Tell us more. I know that SportTrac's are spring under from the factory, did you just bolt up the leafs doing a spring over? Was the eye-to-eye length correct? Did the center-pin provide the extra 2" wheel base gain or did you move it? I am looking for softer rear leafs and this sounds like a great solution, what do you thing about there weight carring capability?
Other than having them rearched to help with my lift, they are a bolt in. I did forget to say that they are longer ( think 57" ), but i was able to use the factory rear leaf mont and bolt it to the stock XJ leaf bracket.

Last edited by jeepxj86; 06-21-2007 at 04:46 PM.
jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Goatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Member # 25239
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj86 View Post
Other than having them rearched to help with my lift, they are a bolt in. I did forget to say that they are longer ( think 57" ), but i was able to use the factory rear leaf mont and bolt it to the stock XJ leaf bracket.
Couldn't be as long as 57" and still bolt up, the stock XJ leaves are 52" long. Some of the after market leaves are a touch longer.
__________________
Richard Gauthier
Ultra4 Stock Class Team NAXJA /Petty Cash Racing 4643

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24709
Location: Glenville, NY
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
So to use a set of Explore Sport trac rear leafs, I just need a longer shackle?
__________________
"Being a man take years of fightin, screwin, drinkin, and whorin. Then more drinkin and then more whorin...if there's time" -Trippin the Rift
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
Couldn't be as long as 57" and still bolt up, the stock XJ leaves are 52" long. Some of the after market leaves are a touch longer.
They are actually 56" long, i took the ford mount and modified it to work using the xj mount and rear section of the unibody.
jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24709
Location: Glenville, NY
Posts: 615
Send a message via AIM to CartsXJ Send a message via Yahoo to CartsXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj86 View Post
They are actually 56" long, i took the ford mount and modified it to work using the xj mount and rear section of the unibody.
When you say mount, do you mean the ford shackle?
__________________
"Being a man take years of fightin, screwin, drinkin, and whorin. Then more drinkin and then more whorin...if there's time" -Trippin the Rift
CartsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsXJ View Post
When you say mount, do you mean the ford shackle?

Nope, I used the rear mount for the shackle, i am trying to find a picture i have. I will post it when i find it.

Last edited by jeepxj86; 06-27-2007 at 04:25 PM.
jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
This was the temporary mockup.



jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 75710
Location: TN
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj86 View Post
This was the temporary mockup.



What did you end up using permanently? That looks weaker than needed at best...
rallyemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5600
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,488
AZDUDES XJ has its rear springs flipped
Attached Images
     
__________________
I got two things for sure in this world..My word and my balls..I'm not breaking them for anybody!


Missing my 40...Shoe leather express jones

TLCA Member #13409

Last edited by AZFJ; 07-01-2007 at 06:43 PM.
AZFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member # 91856
Location: Victoria B.C
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyemore View Post
What did you end up using permanently? That looks weaker than needed at best...

Plated the side with 3/8, welded to the stock mount and the new hanger, for the rear section welded in some L channel to the unibody and bolt the new hanger to channel.
jeepxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.