Unibody Plating Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Unibody Plating Questions

I'm about ready to get the XJ some angle iron to plate the frame (LCA mount to rear spring perch) for the custom crossmember (3 link front suspension) and sliders with an exo cage in the future, to mount off of. I was wondering what everyone was using for this, and what pattern of holes/welds were people using? Both side and bottom welds? So far the plan is to cut holes every so often in the angle iron, both top and bottom, for stitch welding to the unibody (maybe 1/3 of each hole will get welded) and then stitch weld every 6-8" for 2-3" along the outside edge.

My only real concern is cutting too many holes and having it look really gay, or not cutting enough and having it be too weak. If anyone has any pictures of theres or any advice, much would be appreciated.

Last edited by HardcorewannabeXJ; 06-30-2007 at 01:15 PM.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 53453
What I did to do it I wouldn't do again. I used 3x4x.250 IIRC. And a peice of 3x.250 FB on the inside. I welded both of them together, and it to nearly the entire length of the uniframe and in a bunch of places where I drilled holes in it. It's heavy and ugly. So, I'd not take that route again.

I'd say use 3x3x.125 angle. Or whatever will fit decently for that exact point. Drill a 1/2" hole every 2" and weld it entirely at that point. Both the tops and side. Then stich the edges.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 82644
I did 3x3 3/16". Welded 2" stitches every 6 " with plug welds every10"
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
The plan so far is 3/16 inch thick angle iron, with two bends in it and 2 inch holes staggered every 8 inch or so. I was planning on stitch welding the holes as wel.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25239
I don't think you need 2" holes, just big enough to get a decent plug weld. 5/8" to 1" should be plenty and would be easier........IMO. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
I don't think you need 2" holes, just big enough to get a decent plug weld. 5/8" to 1" should be plenty and would be easier........IMO. Sounds like you have a good plan.
Well, I can cut anything I want out of the angle Iron, I've got access to a cnc plasma cutting table, so it will be doing all the work. I just have to find out the placement of the holes so that there isn't a large gap between the angle iron and unit body, as if I recall correctly the sub frame isn't a perfect 90 degree angle?

Does everyone think that attaching the crossmember to the side of the frame vs the underside would be a good idea? I know it's just one more point to get hung up with all those bolt heads sitting there, so I was thinking the side would be a better place. I've seen it done on a few others XJ's, and since it'll be doing nut-serts that it's just a matter of where I want to put them. It will also be getting a rear x-member for 4-linking the rear this winter, so I'll have to incorporate it all before welding it together.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Kind of a relatively simple design, with the cut lines for bending. This is not to scale or anything really, just showing an idea of the hole pattern. I was thinking on the bottom of the angle, a single row of 1" holes with no cut lines for bending.

Of course I'll have to relocate some of the holes for the x-member and nutserts.

Last edited by HardcorewannabeXJ; 07-02-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10249
TOTW
/forum/jeep-cherokee/168280-totw-beefing-xj-unibody.html

Did you see the one with all the dimple die holes?
They were like 2in holes welded but not filled.
It looked really nice and would be stronger then just holes.

These are nicer then mine
/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/543210-xj-unibody-sleeving.html
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmanjeepXJ View Post
TOTW
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168280

Did you see the one with all the dimple die holes?
They were like 2in holes welded but not filled.
It looked really nice and would be stronger then just holes.

These are nicer then mine
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543210
I like the plated CNC cut ones, but I'd rather not have to weld the seam all the way down and just start with some angle. Just doing one side doesn't seem like it would be strong enough. The 2" holes would probably look good if there were less of them, but It looks like plenty of people have gone with less and theres work just fine. It seems like it's all about the looks, and most are plenty of strong to run your linked setup off of.

Also I will have to do a similar design on the front, because I'll be needing something to mount the shock hoop too, thinking of cutting out the upper coil bbucket and mounting the hoop to the side of the frame, and then plating the top and adding a support.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
Also I will have to do a similar design on the front, because I'll be needing something to mount the shock hoop too, thinking of cutting out the upper coil bbucket and mounting the hoop to the side of the frame, and then plating the top and adding a support.
That sounds like how I did my shock hoops. I cut out the fenderwell, ran a hoop off the outside of the frame but up throughte hood (mine are tall), and ran a cross bar above the engine. Id like to tie my shock hoops into my fender bars but I have not done that yet.
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote