Auto swap question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 76760
Auto swap question

I got a quick question on swapping in an auto into my 89 XJ. I know I know, why an auto......well I just prefer them over manuals! Call me lazy I guess! Plus I have a few other reasons!

Anywhoo, I was thinking about making it so I have to manually shift it, so if I were to do it this way.....would I have to do any wiring and such to swap this in? I know the wiring controls the solienoids ( sp? ) to make it shift, but since I'll be shifting it manually I don't think it matters......but I could be wrong! I've done some searching around and haven't really answered my question yet, so I figured I'd ask you fellas. This is only a trail rig, so street manners don't really matter.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Gotlift01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 95255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift01 View Post
I got a quick question on swapping in an auto into my 89 XJ. I know I know, why an auto......well I just prefer them over manuals! Call me lazy I guess! Plus I have a few other reasons!

Anywhoo, I was thinking about making it so I have to manually shift it, so if I were to do it this way.....would I have to do any wiring and such to swap this in? I know the wiring controls the solienoids ( sp? ) to make it shift, but since I'll be shifting it manually I don't think it matters......but I could be wrong! I've done some searching around and haven't really answered my question yet, so I figured I'd ask you fellas. This is only a trail rig, so street manners don't really matter.

Anybody have any suggestions?
/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/242965-new-auto-tranny-option-jeeps.html

I've never swapped a stick for the auto, but have been through the auto harness, the control unit, and power circuits more than a few times. Not all that complicated, but nothing you'd want to attempt without some wiring diagrams and/or maybe signing up for Alldata. The shifter may also give you grief. Manual shifting in a stock format, skips first gear (no first). Taking the tranny , the harness, the control unit (TCU) and associated hardware at the same time would be wise. You may also want to think about your gear ratios, depending on whether you have a four banger or the 6.
MudderChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 76760
Oh kick ass dude, thanks for that link! Looks like that will solve most of the issues......I'm gonna give that guy a call today and maybe get one! Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78387
Brett's system has been well recieved by those who run it.
BTW Most of us run the auto's in Cherokees, the only place that
the manuel is prefered is in Jeepspeed type stuff. Although there are exceptions in both cases.

Rick
Broke That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 76760
His stuff seems to be very well thought out, looks like it is a very nice setup! And I have never been a big fan of manuals when wheeling, I've just been more comfortable with an auto. Plus I have that piece of crap Peugot ( sp? ) 5 speed, and I can't put my 4:1 in because of it.....damn shaft is wrong and Teralow doesn't make a new shaft to work with the Peugot tranny anymore! So it's time for an auto

Thanks for the replies guys!

~Nick