Axle swap questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 84725
Axle swap questions

I have been thinking about swapping in some Rocks under my Ford, so I would have a built 9" and d44 from it to use on somthing. I was wondering how I would mate the larger driveshaft U-joints to the XJ T-case..? ('86 XJ)
This is probably a stupid question, but I do not know the answer, and I have to learn some time..

Thanks,

-Dallas

Last edited by homelessduck; 07-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.
homelessduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Send a message via AIM to Xjcrawler736
I am doing the same swap right now and I am just going to be making new driveshafts. I have the XJ shafts and Ford shafts so i am just going to just weld the ends to some DOM and a slip yolk. Cut up the old shafts and some DOM. Do a little welding and I should be good to go. If you arent a good welder and dont take your time it can get you frustrated very quickly. Good luck.

I will post up pictures as soon as I do them. I just have to wait for my Box 4 Rocks kit and I will be on my way.

Ultra4 #4343 Co-driver - Molten Motorsports

Eastwood Tools

Xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 84725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjcrawler736 View Post
I am doing the same swap right now and I am just going to be making new driveshafts. I have the XJ shafts and Ford shafts so i am just going to just weld the ends to some DOM and a slip yolk. Cut up the old shafts and some DOM. Do a little welding and I should be good to go. If you arent a good welder and dont take your time it can get you frustrated very quickly. Good luck.

I will post up pictures as soon as I do them. I just have to wait for my Box 4 Rocks kit and I will be on my way.

Yea, I was thinking about doing that as well, since I have a complete parts Ford with driveshafts. I am in no hurry to do this swap, I actually have to wait untill we move into our new house, which should be about 20days. So, Ill just wait and check out your swap and copy what you did.

You should make a build thread for it.

-Dallas
Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 84970
Send a message via AIM to Xjcrawler736
Dont worry the build thread is coming. I want to get most of it done before I start posting though. I just finished the HP44 on monday. I am waiting for a crap load of parts so I dont want to post and then run out of parts. Everything is coming cross country so I am at a stand still right now.

I have to have the thing done by the second week in August for a trail run. And I am moving into a new place too so I have to really start to pick it up.

Ultra4 #4343 Co-driver - Molten Motorsports

Eastwood Tools

Xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 49320
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessduck View Post
I have been thinking about swapping in some Rocks under my Ford, so I would have a built 9" and d44 from it to use on somthing. I was wondering how I would mate the larger driveshaft U-joints to the XJ T-case..? ('86 XJ)
This is probably a stupid question, but I do not know the answer, and I have to learn some time..

Thanks,

-Dallas
I just put a Ford hp d44 and d60 in my XJ. I was able to re-use my drive shafts. My rear shaft was a Rubicon express CV shaft, not the stock XJ shaft. Anyway I used conversion ujoints. See last page of the thread link below, for more u-joint info than you really want.

By the way the 9 inch usually has a non-standard 1330 ujoint with 1 1/8" caps instead of the normal 1330 1 1/16" caps, which makes finding the right conversion ujoint a chanlenge. But you can make one by switching caps on a spicer 5-134x and a 5-1201x.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397243

oh yeah, you will need to register as a user (its free) to be able to see the 100+ pictures....

Last edited by Sierra Drifter; 07-15-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Sierra Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 63174
I just did it over the weekend. Was a pretty good install however I still have a ton to do like new steering and better brakes. Here's the link to some pics and info. http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27248
Family TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family TJ View Post
I just did it over the weekend. Was a pretty good install however I still have a ton to do like new steering and better brakes. Here's the link to some pics and info. http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27248
More pics on the Frame Stiffeners please!! I see you decided to mount the radius arms directly to them rather then to a crossmember, how's that looking clearance wise?
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Drifter View Post
I just put a Ford hp d44 and d60 in my XJ. I was able to re-use my drive shafts. My rear shaft was a Rubicon express CV shaft, not the stock XJ shaft. Anyway I used conversion ujoints. See last page of the thread link below, for more u-joint info than you really want.

By the way the 9 inch usually has a non-standard 1330 ujoint with 1 1/8" caps instead of the normal 1330 1 1/16" caps, which makes finding the right conversion ujoint a chanlenge. But you can make one by switching caps on a spicer 5-134x and a 5-1201x.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397243

oh yeah, you will need to register as a user (its free) to be able to see the 100+ pictures....
My 9" is 1310's.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
My 9" is 1310's.
Isn't there a "small" 9" and a large one too? Perhaps the pinion yokes are different.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcorewannabeXJ View Post
Isn't there a "small" 9" and a large one too? Perhaps the pinion yokes are different.
Mine is the big bearing housing and 3rd. Also nodular 3rd. I just know what fit, don't know why.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 84725
Thanks for the help guys! I have decided to go this route, and I will start as soon as we get moved into our new house. This is of course assuming I dont get side tracked on another project. I think I have ADD..

EDIT: Ah, jeepforum, Im allready a member Sierra.

Last edited by homelessduck; 07-14-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 27647
Send a message via AIM to jacook888 Send a message via Yahoo to jacook888
You could always just get 1310 Yokes and save your self alot of time and trouble.

Last edited by jacook888; 07-14-2007 at 01:40 AM.
jacook888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26055
Both 9's I have from Early Bronco's have the same pinion yokes as my cherokee. Which also matches the yoke on the SYE kit. All are 1310's. One less thing to deal with on my swap.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
well i have a ford 44 in my xj and after breaking front output yokes on the t case i finally swapped to a front dana 44 yoke on the tcase end and bam no more problems. just thought i would throw that in there.... oh and i use all 1310 u joints except at my rear end which is a bastard 1310/1330 joint.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 94571
Quote:
Looks good
What's the WMS to WMS of your axles and how much backspacing do those rims have?
BadLuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 63174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLuck View Post
Looks good
What's the WMS to WMS of your axles and how much backspacing do those rims have?
no sure on the width of the axles. It is what ever the 79 F-150 width was. Something like 63"? The rims are 15x10 with 3.5" bs. Tires are 38x14.5.

My build goes like this:
Axles......$400
Tires......$150 (for mock up only, I am getting new ones)
Rims......Free
2" dom tubing...$80
1.5" Dom inserted in 2".....Free Had them Machined down and then threaded to accept the Johnny Joints...Also Free by my neighbor
Currie Johnny Joints....$40 each
Currie nuts and grease able bolts $20
TNT Frame stiffners....$170
Rustys Reaf 6.5" leafs...$300
RC 2" shackles....$50
DS...$200 (tom Woods Rear used, Cherokee front included with the rear)
Brake lines and calipers and rear cylinders...$70
Welding done by my buddy.....$600 roughly I gave him free labor and $300 cash
Used motor....$200

Things I already had:
Rock Krawler 6" front springs....$110
RK Trac Bar and bracket....Free ( it was included in another deal I made)
RK Drop Pitman arm....Free ( it was included in another deal I made)
AA SYE...Free ( it was included in another deal I made)
JKS Quick Disconnects...$25
BDS front Shocks.....$80
Rear Shocks....Free ( I got them off a ford edge pick up. They have a lot of travel)

Things I need:
Steering linkages
Dedenbear knuckles,
Front DS shortened
E350 master Cylinder,
tires.

Currently I can drive it. But it's not where I want it to be. Here's pics of the frame stiffners and links.

Family TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.