Axle Size?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81931
Axle Size??

So I am looking into getting axles for my 98 2door xj and Ii was wondering What would be a good vehicle to get them from with out cutting them down and I dont want to run full width axles. I was looking at dana 44 in the front and rear or a dana 44 in the front and 9in in the rear. Can yj axles bolt onto the back of my xj? please let me know any help works. thanks
clifford210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84593
Send a message via AIM to HardcorewannabeXJ Send a message via MSN to HardcorewannabeXJ
Well first of all, a ford D44/9" combo would be wider then stock, a YJ rear axle is Stock Spring Under Axle.

The popular swap for keeping stock width axles is going to be wagoneer D44's front and rear, or a Stock D30 front and ford 8.8 or XJ D44 rear.

Depends what size tire you wanna run on that thing. D30/8.8 or D44 should be ok up to 35" tires, but you'll definetly wanna consider some chromoly shafts.
HardcorewannabeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford210 View Post
I was looking at dana 44 in the front and rear
Why, what would it do for you that your stock axles cant do?
Not mutch of an upgrade.
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81931
well I was looking to run 37 in tires so i figured a semi built dana 44 would be fine. let me know what you think. I would be doing alot of trails hopefully get into some rocks so they would need to hold up. thanks for the advise just trying to get some ideas
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53453
It may or may not work out. A lot of guys cry foul about the front D44s strength. Yes, the outers are weak, and there's not a lot you can do about that. However, I think if you have a light-er truck and not huge power, you can keep one aline. I run 37s on a D44 front with chromo shafts and joints, sofar I haven't broke anything in the axle. It's spooled, because IMHO that's safer for it than a locker. I did break a front output on the np231 though - which leads me to think the axle is not a huge worry. Or, perhaps I'll start blowing shafts now.

I run a 'zusu 12B in the rear. It's better than a D44, stock for stock. But it's at its out limits with 37s, IMHO. I think it lives because my weight distribution is about 63/35, and the front leafs tend to suck down when pulling the truck over obstacles.

The truck weighs 4kish, 4200 is in wheeling trim (me in it). It'll be interesting to see the weight after I finish this rebuild, and how it is distributed. The back is going to be heavier now...

However, the moral of my story is build some 60s, you'll be happier in the end.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 81931
Ya built 60s would be amazing but once again it comes down to the $$. Where would be a good place to fing some base dana 60s or even some built ones that would work out for me and not cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 95636
hey clifford i have a dana60 front housing from a 89 f-350 asking $250. also have a dana 44 front housing from a 78 ford asking $150. I sold my last dana 60 rear axle (i sell them complete) for $100.
kandjracing351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford210 View Post
well I was looking to run 37 in tires so i figured a semi built dana 44 would be fine. let me know what you think. I would be doing alot of trails hopefully get into some rocks so they would need to hold up. thanks for the advise just trying to get some ideas
Lets put it this way:

I drive a YJ that when set for trail scales at 4500-5000lbs. It's got a Waggie 44 front and Waggie 20 rear. 4.3:1 atlas II, 4.56 gears and detriots. It ran 36" SX's for a while and now running 38" SX's.

Terrain - it plays on some rock, but a lot of it is muddy or dry rootball and rock infested trails. Lots of tight turns, short verticle climbs, etc.

Driving style - I try an obstacle 3 times, each time hitting it a little harder. If I can't climb it or at least have some signifigant progress to show I pull cable. It's something that doesn't happen very often, I'm not pulling cable all the time. I don't drive while drinking, I don't drive for a testosterone fest, I drive to enjoy the outdoors and get to hard to reach places. Although lately I mostly drive for work parties.

I'm not easy on the front end, I'll do front diggs, drive in FWD from time to time usually in tight areas. Have no issues wrapping the engine up to 4-5,000rpms and dumping the clutch while trying to get out of a mudhole or hop over something like a rock that's got me partially high centered.

Basically, I know how to drive, have nothing to proove, and dont' drive like an ass. I "listen" to my rig, if it doesn't sound or feel happy I don't force it to do it.

Maintenance - I check over my rig regularly, if a balljoint is even just starting to go loose I replace it.

Trail Breakage - none, even when it had stock shafts and spicer 760 joints.

Wear items - ball joints. If I do a LOT of wheeling I can wear the uppers out in 6 months. I replace upp and lower even if it's just the upper needing replaced.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 07-19-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.