I over reamed my knuckle for 1 tons :[ - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 132629
I over reamed my knuckle for 1 tons :[

Hey guys, this is actually my first post on Pirate some of you may know me from NEJz. My issue today is that I over reamed my driver side knuckle when installing my JCR steering. I could still use the DRE es2027L if it had a right hand thread. Does anyone know where I can find one preferably tomorrow? I'm sure that there is a shorter DRE out there if you know of one please share I'm pretty disparate here I don't feel like swapping the knuckle and need to tow something with my jeep Saturday.
1Lilredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
weld the hole up. re-drill it. re-ream it.

/thread.

JV Rally Post #175 Tellico Rally post #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp87 View Post
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 132629
That's a good idea but I don't think I could get it right the first try though. I have a 140A mig and I use flux core wire, could it be done that way. I don't know much about welding cast, I have welded a caliper bracket ear onto a knuckle before with good results and I know the pre heat post heat deal but that's about it. How could I go about this with my welder? I do have a gs kit and wire but no tank.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Lilredwagon View Post
. I have a 140A mig and I use flux core wire, could it be done that way.
Sure can. Gotta heat source? He's what I'd do.
Pre-heat knuckle to as hot as you can get it. If you dont have a torch...a barbeque grill or pit works nicely. Then fill it with Stainless wire. Home Depot or Lowes carries 1lb spools for like $14. Once you get it filled, toss it back in the BBQ or apply heat again. Make sure it cools slowly , otherwise the plug will seperate from the knuckle. Sand retains heat well, fire blankets, a bunch of coats or blankets will work too. Just make sure the heat is retained and the weld cools slowly.

Last edited by GreatWhiteXJ; 03-27-2009 at 09:32 AM.
GreatWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 97798
Dean, you should come to the grab day, and just get a knuckle. Or if you like, I have a spare XJ that you can pull a knuckle off of.

About welding the knuckle, I do not know what the material is. My D60 is iron, and if this is the case, its just easier for you to get a new one.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Hey guys, this is actually my first post on Pirate some of you may know me from NEJz. My issue today is that I over reamed my driver side knuckle when installing my JCR steering. I could still use the DRE es2027L if it had a right hand thread. Does anyone know where I can find one preferably tomorrow? I'm sure that there is a shorter DRE out there if you know of one please share I'm pretty disparate here I don't feel like swapping the knuckle and need to tow something with my jeep Saturday.
The right hand equivalent for the 2027 is ES2026R It is long like the 2027 and the tapper is slightly larger like you noticed. You will have to cut down the tierod if you choose to do this to replace a ES2234R which is shorter with a slightly smaller tapper.

I dont like the 2027 and 2026 on a tierod they get loose quicker then the lower miss alignment ones, and if you have 1.5in 250 DOM tube the rod end will bend before the tube.

I wanted over the knucle steering on my d60 (mounting top down not bottom up)...so I welded up the hold with my 135A hobart, I drilled the weld using a masonry 5/8in carbide tipped drill then I ream them from the top.

It was a ridiculous PITA to try and drill through my weld, then to ream it. I think i put a full 8hrs into it.
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 132629
Don't I need a sheilding gas for SS wire, if so what gas?
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a new knuckle at the jy unfortunaty I need to tow my trailer there with my jeep.

I was also thinking about using a hemi temporarily, does anyone know of a retailer so I could get one today? I'm near Boston.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Gas will depend on wire. You can get flux cored stainless wire though and have no need for gas. However stainless is commonly welded with a 3 way combination of Helium, argon and CO2.

Last edited by GreatWhiteXJ; 03-27-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Swag Sales

Member # 90594
Quote:
... I could still use the DRE es2027L if it had a right hand thread....
Why dont you get a 2026 (I belive that is the part number) which is the same thing but right handed thread. Thats what I used on my jeep (2027 and 2026) for steering. The local autoparts store had them in stock. Good luck

Andrew Dial
Jedco Sales Inc.
jedcosales.com
PM me or email andrewd@jedcosales.com

We are family owned and in our 30th year! Big enough to get great products and prices. Small enough to know who you are!

Last edited by dozer_xj; 03-27-2009 at 11:22 AM.
dozer_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 132629
The ea2026r is too long my tie rod is ore made... I could cut it down and retap it but I dont have the tap.

I picked up a tank of Co2 argon sheilding gas today at lunch and I have a roll of er70s-6 wire and an acetyline torch I use for brazing pipe will that be sufficent?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 89479
swapping the knuckle is going to be a whole lot easier than welding that thing up and drilling it out. Just go get a knuckle at the JY, and besides, you probably need to redo you balljoints anyway.
javik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 117427
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteXJ View Post
Sure can. Gotta heat source? He's what I'd do.
Pre-heat knuckle to as hot as you can get it. If you dont have a torch...a barbeque grill or pit works nicely. Then fill it with Stainless wire. Home Depot or Lowes carries 1lb spools for like $14. Once you get it filled, toss it back in the BBQ or apply heat again. Make sure it cools slowly , otherwise the plug will seperate from the knuckle. Sand retains heat well, fire blankets, a bunch of coats or blankets will work too. Just make sure the heat is retained and the weld cools slowly.
or you could just leave it in the grill and slowly turn the heat down every 10 min or so til it's completely off and don't lift the lid til the thermometer reads zero.

it will cool very slowly this way.
01TJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Quote:
I picked up a tank of Co2 argon sheilding gas today at lunch and I have a roll of er70s-6 wire and an acetyline torch I use for brazing pipe will that be sufficent?
Are we talkin a big torch or a little 20" tall, 4" diameter blue bottle from WalMart? If its a real torch then Id say give it a shot. Just watch the heat. That will be the most important factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TJCRAWLER View Post
or you could just leave it in the grill and slowly turn the heat down every 10 min or so til it's completely off and don't lift the lid til the thermometer reads zero.

it will cool very slowly this way.
Thats basically what I was trying to say. Just not as detailed....kinda fingured when I said "cool slowly" that would be a given.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
The knuckles are not cast iron.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
The knuckles are not cast iron.
No one ever said they were. There cast steel. I just personally weld anything cast with pre and post heat and SS wire.

Last edited by GreatWhiteXJ; 03-27-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pigs Fly

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
About welding the knuckle, I do not know what the material is. My D60 is iron, and if this is the case, its just easier for you to get a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteXJ View Post
No one ever said they were. There cast steel. I just personally weld anything cast with pre and post heat and SS wire.
Didn't say I was answering your post.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Werd. I missed that.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 132629
I welded up the knuckle on Friday night and it came out great! I was really surprised at what a difference the L-56 wire made with the shielding gas. I
Ruined probably a half a dozen drill bits of various sizes and a $75 reamer but it was worth it just for the experience. On Saturday I picked up a 97 8.25 for $60 so I'll probably weld the tubes up on that and put one piece axles in the front that I got out of a late model zj for less than $30. Then all I have to do is put in my sye np242 and 23 spline aw4 and I'll be ready to hit the trails... Sort of.