Why I'll be doing an exo-cage - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Why I'll be doing an exo-cage

So I've already been planning on starting my exo-cage next month once I get back from BNCOC, but today I defiantely validated that plan. I went up Spring Creek trail today w/ 2 other rigs and because of the snow we were unable to make it all the way up the trail. Well on the way down the first obstacle I decided on a somewhat stupid line and flopped my vehicle over on its side for the first time. Here are the pics of my embarasing moment.

Man, I was grinning like a drunk school girl at prom

There wasn't any significant damage, just one taillight housing and a bit of roughage to my fender. I already got my fender back in place and shaped properly for the most part, a little more flat green paint will finish the job. I just secured a set of HMMWV taillights yesterday so those'll be going on tomorrow. My Rusty's flex flares survived with no damage, as did the rest of my Jeep. All in all, a good day of wheeling.

After we got her back on her wheels:

2008 JKU Rubicon: 2.5" RE Spring lift, 35" KM2's, TNT Alum belly skids, winch, yada yada yada, its powered by a Caravan motor
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Oh yeah, I'll also be doing some boat sides when I do the cage. Thanks to you guys on this site I've got all kinds of inspiration, especially Wanderingwilly's rig.

2008 JKU Rubicon: 2.5" RE Spring lift, 35" KM2's, TNT Alum belly skids, winch, yada yada yada, its powered by a Caravan motor
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29476
Floppin's wheelin'. Congratulations.
I don't see why you need to add more of a rock anchor than the stock body already provides.

Last edited by Okie Terry; 04-12-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Okie Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 65983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Terry View Post
Floppin's wheelin'. Congratulations.
I don't see why you need to add more of a rock anchor than the stock body already provides.
agreed exos are heavy tree-catchin, rock grabbing, wastes of tube unless its a super clean hybrid cage

can you find the exo here?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595

It looks like you could upright it by cranking the steering and using the skinny pedal.

I like this type of exo-cage and plan to do this this my MJ. I have a slightly different design then the above picture has.

My plan includes a cross brace over the cowl, a center roof brace and a V-bar support for the windshield. There will also be an under hood cross brace to tie the upper external fender bars together and support the upper front shock mounts. The fender bars that run to the front bumper will attach right before the cowl down tube disappears behind the fender.

I will plating the back of the fenders, the door and the back of the cab with 12 gauge steel from the start of the first bodyline down. It will have internal A-piller and B-pillar uprights in the cab that tie into the cab with a cross brace for the 4 point seat belts and will make a brace that goes out to support the cab body panels. I'm also adding a couple of support beams inside my doors and along a brace for the rear of the front fenders too. It will have a custom bed I'm building and will have a full hoop behind the cab, supports that connect to the box sides, the frame and rear bumper. There will also be a cross brace for the upper rear long travel shocks to connect to. It will have a bunch of braces, nodes and triangulation.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
I actually did attempt the turn the wheel hard and use the throttle, unfortunately I had two things preventing that from working well. I don't have any sort of hydraulic assist on my steering and wasn't able to get the wheel to turn far enough, and I only have a limited slip in the front.

I do like the hybrid cages, but I'll also be doing the boatsides while I'm at it and want to keep the majority of the cage outside for my headroom's sake. I tend to carry the entire family with me on the trail; wife, kid, dog, and sunbeam grill. Don't forget the brats too. I will be running my b-pillar braces internal to allow my rear doors to open fully, and I will also do an internal c-pillar hoop w/ braces to help add some internal triangulation for the whole cage. My a-pillar and d-pillar hoops will be external, and I will also have a peice going along the cowl to connect the two sides. I'll probably also put in a vertical support in the middle of the windshield. I'm going to use the d-pillar hoop as the mounting point for my spare tire carrier, this'll allow me to use two hinges for stability and keep the tire a bit higher for departure angle.

Last edited by DutchVDub; 04-12-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 65983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post

I like this type of exo-cage and plan to do this this my MJ. I have a slightly different design then the above picture has.

My plan includes a cross brace over the cowl, a center roof brace and a V-bar support for the windshield. There will also be an under hood cross brace to tie the upper external fender bars together and support the upper front shock mounts. The fender bars that run to the front bumper will attach right before the cowl down tube disappears behind the fender.

if you were to pull the fenders on his jeep those frontpeices actually continue back to the a pillar piece... its a slick setup for a jeep that sees street time every now and again but it has room for a lot of addition
Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
TJP

Member # 7595
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdoug View Post
if you were to pull the fenders on his jeep those frontpeices actually continue back to the a pillar piece... its a slick setup for a jeep that sees street time every now and again but it has room for a lot of addition

Thats exactly my plan. It will have a bunch of additions done to it.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 71336
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdoug View Post
I'm taking credit for most of that beatutiful tube work
rredalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 128643
that looks familiar!

offroadman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 128643
i have a full internal cage in mine--i am building off of that going through the firewall and inside the ft fenders to a ft stinger or something like that.the pass side fender along with the hood got lots of damage. i want to buggy it out but not anytime soon so i need to protect the fenders as much as posible.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 128643
another of the cage===
Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 99072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rredalty View Post
I'm taking credit for most of that beatutiful tube work
Matt, PM sent.
mdo817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 80641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post

I like that exo! thats

[QUOTE=DillWeed;9324924]Kid... you are looking for a dance club and you stumbled into an old school tavern full of mean drunks...Run for your life.[/QUOTE]
1990 yj, 44/60, d300, howell FI- sold
offroadjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 82394
I broke my sideview mirror.

BerzerCO is offline   Reply With Quote