TOTM: Front 3-link Suspensions - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25239
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Yeah as soon as you asked what shocks I was running, I thought about that as well. Does everything else sound like it is setup as it should be, or did I not provide enough info?
All the rest looks and sounds like you should be fine. I'd try better shocks, then look at other stuff if it didn't help.

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #52 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 44832
Send a message via AIM to xj_man_646 Send a message via MSN to xj_man_646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
All the rest looks and sounds like you should be fine. I'd try better shocks, then look at other stuff if it didn't help.
Sweet. Thanks for the help!

1994 XJ, D44/AMC20, 4.10's, Lockright/welded, hidden 3 link + panhard bar, leaf spring slider boxes. Rusty but trusty. Now sold to a fellow MTU4x4'er.
xj_man_646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Send a message via AIM to XJ_ranger
more here:
http://www.rockhardxj.com/viewtopic....t=3+link+front

dont know how much of this ive posted here, just putting it all in one thread...

I went and put my link on the passenger side to avoid the drive shaft and exhaust. that and I already had a mount on the axle on that side that didnt suck...
frame ground down to bare metal -

plates around the upper link area and lower link area -

I happened to have most of my drivetrain on a pallet while doing this because I needed a new clutch and was installing a teralow at the same time...

plates tacked in place -

initial inside shot -

my Nike LCA mounts - 3/16" - wish id used 1/4" because of the direct rock contact they see all the time...

moved my LCA down like 1" and back like 4 from stock... see the extended arm -

decided to cut into the floor for the UCA mount -

added a formed 10ga piece that attached to the floor and the inside of the frame -

JV Rally Post #175 Tellico Rally post #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp87 View Post
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.
XJ_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
stole an upper link mount from the production line at work and welded it in -

My lowers are about 20.75" long and my upper is about 23.5" long...

I have 8.5" of separation at the frame, and about 9.5" at the axle...

the suspension climbs amazing compared to my old 'short' arm 4 link setup...

for the upper link on the axle side, I used a small RE joint, welded into the 'tower'...

cut a hole with a holesaw -

welded it up taking care to put the zerk inside the box tube, and keep the allen set screw accessable -

made a 1/4" plate to re-enforce the 1x3x.120 tower on one side -

welded up -

**************The axle brackets have changed A LOT since these shots, but the upper link mount is the same***********************
started with this -

ended up with this -

Quote:
I think our friend GreatWhiteXJ is forgetting a zero in his pulled-from-rectume tolerance. That's the only way it could possibly make sense. If that's the case, a refresher of 4th grade math is in order.

Last edited by XJ_ranger; 09-19-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Yeah, I'm using a 10mm bolt in a small RE joint in my upper control arm.

Yeah I'm worried about it

No, I'm not worried about it enough to not go wheeling... Its been there for 10 competitions, 3 or 4 trips to the hammers, and all the other wheeling I've done in the past 2.5 years...

I'm building a 609 to replace the front 44, and when I make the mounts on that axle, It'll be upgraded to a 7/8" shank, 3/4" hole heim, with high misalignment spacers bringing the bolt size down to 5/8" - to match the stuff on my trackbar, and the other end of the upper link.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 89217
I have been reading up on 3-link setups over this last week. I plan on building a 3-link setup later on this year, and am going to start compiling parts for it. For now I am running a D30 up front, this will stay until I finish college and get a real job where I can go crazy on this thing. I know that I will have to make a new mount for the UCA and LCA's. Can I re-use my trackbar that I have and the stock mount. The track bar is adjustable and is for up to 6" of lift. I read that a higher track bar mount is better for offroad, but less stable on the road, and I drive this to the trails, so I am thinking that I should stick with the stock location on the axle.

My next question is rod ends. From what I understand, I should use bushings on the frame end of the LCA's and heims at the axle. And for the UCA, I should use heims on both ends. What about heim size, will 7/8" be enough? 33,000lbs seems like plenty of strength. Gravelmaker has the 7/8" ones on sale for $49 a pair. I am running the stock 4.0, AW4, NP231, 4.56 gears, locked front and rear and 33" tires possiblly 35's in the future. I am not a crazy mash the gas wheeler, I like to hit the trails and some mild rocks.

Hopefully I haven't overlooked the answers to these questions, but these questions are what I am unclear on.

Ok, I remembered something else. My D30 is the vac disco version. How Would I go about gettin rid of that cast mount, since there would be a big hole in the tube if I cut it all off.

Last edited by TMXONR; 09-19-2009 at 08:44 PM.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 39184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMXONR View Post
I have been reading up on 3-link setups over this last week. I plan on building a 3-link setup later on this year, and am going to start compiling parts for it. For now I am running a D30 up front, this will stay until I finish college and get a real job where I can go crazy on this thing. I know that I will have to make a new mount for the UCA and LCA's. Can I re-use my trackbar that I have and the stock mount. The track bar is adjustable and is for up to 6" of lift. I read that a higher track bar mount is better for offroad, but less stable on the road, and I drive this to the trails, so I am thinking that I should stick with the stock location on the axle.

My next question is rod ends. From what I understand, I should use bushings on the frame end of the LCA's and heims at the axle. And for the UCA, I should use heims on both ends. What about heim size, will 7/8" be enough? 33,000lbs seems like plenty of strength. Gravelmaker has the 7/8" ones on sale for $49 a pair. I am running the stock 4.0, AW4, NP231, 4.56 gears, locked front and rear and 33" tires possiblly 35's in the future. I am not a crazy mash the gas wheeler, I like to hit the trails and some mild rocks.

Hopefully I haven't overlooked the answers to these questions, but these questions are what I am unclear on.

Ok, I remembered something else. My D30 is the vac disco version. How Would I go about gettin rid of that cast mount, since there would be a big hole in the tube if I cut it all off.
HP30 Non disco can be had for next to nothing as a bare housing at most junkyards. a much better base than a cast mount disco 30 IMO.
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 25377
Quote:

With a 3 link, you should be using all hard joints; No rubber or poly bushings.
Billy

Last edited by JeepFreak21; 09-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
JeepFreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 89217
Would the 7/8" heims be strong enough at all ends for a rig my size. And if I bought a non disco D30 housing, how hard woud it be to re-setup my gears in the next housing. I have read that there can be problems with seting up used gears.

Last edited by TMXONR; 09-19-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 41592
grand 3 link

ZJ, 44/9, 6in coils in the front, stock front springs in rear, 37" mtr's, drivers side 3 link upper, appears to be much easier for the Dside upper on a D44 (yes i know i should have put in a 60 , kicking myself now but i was using what i had because of budget)

above is a picture of the one ton steering -- sort of -- chevy 1500-3500 TRE's in 1.25x.125" DOM tubing, in the backround you can see the D44 truss and the links.

above: the front links and the front half of the tray.[/img]

I currently have a different track bar mount in there now to clear the Diff housing (2" forward and 1 in higher) and yes the angle and length are still correct - no bump steer.

control arms are 2x1/4", front anti squat is 65% with adjustment down to 58% and up to 85% i believe. All mounts are 1/4", 5/8x3/4" heims on one end with polyurethane bushings on the other. lower arm mounts get beat to hell but real estate issue and suspension dynamics compremise

Def overbuilt suspension but has allowed me to just grind off the underbody armour with no worrys.

Bradford

Last edited by Bradford; 09-20-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: to make it better
Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #61 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 31848
Quote:

I'd recomend all hard joints as well.

but you can chop up and re-use parts of the aftermarket trackbar...

My friend Phil runs a Disco 30 housing, with high steer, and a custom trackbar mount on the axle -

Quote:
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 25377
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger View Post
I'd recomend all hard joints as well.

but you can chop up and re-use parts of the aftermarket trackbar...

My friend Phil runs a Disco 30 housing, with high steer, and a custom trackbar mount on the axle -
Lookit how clean it was!
Billy
Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 89217
I took some quick measurments today and played with some numbers in the 3 link calculator. The upper link will most likley get moved, it rained today so I didn't have much time to lay under the Jeep and think about where to put it. Do these numbers look alright, or are they totally wacky. My instant center seems to be alot smaller than some of the other 3 link numbers that I have seen. These numbers are taken at ride height.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_man_646 View Post
Got any interior pics with that cross member installed? How much floor is left on the passenger side?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 62545
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Got any interior pics with that cross member installed? How much floor is left on the passenger side?
Not his, but mine is similar. Here's a few shots:

(axle is drooped a little in this picture hence the link it aiming down)

Last edited by RCman; 10-09-2009 at 08:32 AM.
RCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Thanks... now I see what kind of cover I need to build
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 62545
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Thanks... now I see what kind of cover I need to build
Yeah, I'm going to take some 18guage and bend up a cover to go over that area as well. It'll be easier than listening to the woman complain about wet feet!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Heres the three link on the front of my ZJ. I went drivers side as the exhaust for the V8 was in the way on the pasenger side.

New crossmember, three piece, sides welded and this raised the drivetrain up about an inch.

Here is the drivers side mount for the lower and the upper. this part got welded to the frame. About 5 inches of seperation.

Here is the truss/upper mount that I went with. figured the 30 could use the help.

Dont use square for the upper, its very tight in there. Fits, but tight. Going to replace with round one of these days.

Yep, tight.

Flexes real good!

Overall I love it. Rides good and climbes like a goat. I mean, I showed up a built and stretched TJ with 42's on a wall climb once. It was no fluke, I did it several times with ease and it and none of the other 6 or so rigs with us that day could do it. It just hooks and goes.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 111358
Ok so I'm planning on building a 3 link on my XJ in the near future and I had a question about link location on the axle. I'm running a waggy drivers side drop 44 and wanted to know how much horizontal/side to side seperation I should have between my lower passenger side link and the upper link if I were to run the upper link on the passenger side? I see a ton of talk about vertical seperation and know that I want to get my links as flat as possible but I've seen nothing about how far to space them horizontaly. I hope my question makes sense and helps others in there builds as well.

Thanks,
Bobby

Last edited by Sniper8429XJ; 01-07-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Sniper8429XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 25377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper8429XJ View Post
Ok so I'm planning on building a 3 link on my XJ in the near future and I had a question about link location on the axle. I'm running a waggy drivers side drop 44 and wanted to know how much horizontal/side to side seperation I should have between my lower passenger side link and the upper link if I were to run the upper link on the passenger side? I see a ton of talk about vertical seperation and know that I want to get my links as flat as possible but I've seen nothing about how far to space them horizontaly. I hope my question makes sense and helps others in there builds as well.

Thanks,
Bobby
You haven't seen anything about it because it doesn't matter.
Billy
Old 01-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 111358
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak21 View Post
You haven't seen anything about it because it doesn't matter.
Billy
Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you very much
Bobby
Sniper8429XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25239
Ditto. It doesn't matter. More accurately, it doesn't make enough difference to matter.

Thanks to NAXJA, Falken Tire, Ten Factory, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, Raceline Wheels, G&G Auto Repair, WARN, Yukon Gear and Axle, [COLOR="Red", Full Traction, Viking Winchline, Black Magic Brakes
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 129818
Goatman, is there a detailed thread on your midarm, 3 link build?
LITTLEwarCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41185
Here's mine:

Cross member (borrowed the design from Timmay)

Bent the upper to clear the starter/ bellhousing on full bump...

More pics in my signature:
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 132938
im in the process of a 3 link. uca is 32" and lowers are 29", eye to eye. frame seperation is only planned to be about 4" and axle seperation is about 8". jj's and hiems, sleeved frame rails, blah blah... my question is should i have more frame seperation?
SheetMetalSlug is offline   Reply With Quote