The Blue Submarine - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #101 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
I did enough tinkering today to keep my mind churning about how to mount the MC. I don't like that POS factory bracket, I think I'm going to build one. It's badass, the MC itself just twist locks into that black bracket. Makes it WAY easy to remove and modify.

I haven't really shown decent pictures of the clutch pedal setup, so here some are. I added the pushrod today (from the yota MC).

And this pic with the MC. The part in my hand is actually going to be tipped up unlike I have it in the pic. It's going to work perfectly between getting a good centered throw of the pushrod and clearance between the MC and inner fenderwells.

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 157065
I keep telling the ol' lady that we need to turn hers into a five speed but she seems to think that its a bad idea....maybe someday. SWEET FRIGGIN BUILD MAN. Can't wait to see how this monster turns out.
madzuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #103 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by madzuki1 View Post
I keep telling the ol' lady that we need to turn hers into a five speed but she seems to think that its a bad idea....maybe someday. SWEET FRIGGIN BUILD MAN. Can't wait to see how this monster turns out.
Thanks man! 5 speeds are way too much fun, especially with a little power! . This WJ is going to see some fun time at Sand Moutain, and the Hammers also once I'm satisfied with the suspension. I'm gettin damn excited. Unfortunately my spring break is over so the work's gunna slow down a little bit, but I see light at the end of the tunnel so I'm motivated to get it back together

Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 93732
I didn't see it mentioned in the thread but are you using the correct power steering fluid?

WJ's need a special fluid.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm
Chili Palmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #105 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
I did not use the correct power steering fluid, but I havent for the past couple years either without issue so that wasn't the problem. We'll see when it all goes back together with the new JY box.

Got the master mounted today! Little more work and it'll be time to burn it home and do a final pedal install! I ended up scrapping all of that stock bracket except for the actual clip-in part for the MC.

I got the brake pedal pad on for all you haters too. Startin to look like factory components haha!

Up underneath the dash, almost had to relocate the hood cable and that other line (rear washer I think?)

AND...my heads are done at the machine shop

Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
I did not use the correct power steering fluid, but I havent for the past couple years either without issue so that wasn't the problem. We'll see when it all goes back together with the new JY box.
Roger that just thought I'd throw it out there.

Nice build by the way. Wouldn't mind doing that to my WJ!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #107 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Yeah man I'm actually curious what is so special about the WJ's power steering that requires that special fluid. I don't think they even say it's for the hydraulic fan WJ's, but all? I don't know but I know it worked with regular for me in the past haha and thanks!

I picked my heads up from the machine shop today, and my Centerforce clutch came in from summit so once I get head gaskets and timing cover gasket, it gets put back together along with bolting the tranny to the engine for the final time (hoping I can install/pull them both together with ease)

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 04-06-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #108 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
The evap box fits back in with just a little bending of its brackets, nothin crazy but man was I happy to see that. I made the final adjustment to the clutch bracket, burned it home, added a 3rd bolt hole and painted it. I also cut off the pedal face and re-angled it to sit more flush with your foot through the motion, and burned home the notches I put in the brake pedal to bend it while I was at it.

It's back there somewhere

Final pedal placement. I think its perfect, and I didn' adjust the pushrod as I built it, so I can still fine tune the pedal in either direction

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #109 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
The heads went back together yesterday, and I replaced the rear main seal, installed the flywheel, my new pilot bearing and new throwout bearing. I had to stop early so I could get some study time in for a test I took this mornin. I should also be gettin the head gaskets and timing cover gasket tonight sp I should get some SERIOUS work done over the weekend. today I'm boltin the tranny together for good (hopefully), and maybe reassemble the engine

Box o parts

Good thing I can take pics...

Old 04-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Yeah man I'm actually curious what is so special about the WJ's power steering that requires that special fluid. I don't think they even say it's for the hydraulic fan WJ's, but all? I don't know but I know it worked with regular for me in the past haha and thanks!
Not sure all I know is mine squeaks when I take a lot of corners at speed, i.e. driving through the mountains, so I hope it doesn't take a crap on me!

And it looks like you're having fun with the motor/heads/clutch!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #111 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Wierd, is your fluid level good?

I put the heads back on yesterday with help, along with bolting the tranny up and starting to look at the exhaust...

bad pic I know

Exhaust vs starter vs driveshaft...should be a fun fit

And my pup

Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 152268
Looks like you've done a lot and it's really starting to come together. Congrats.
hghgrad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #113 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Thanks man, slowly but surely.

I dropped the valvecovers on so I wouldn't have to worry about gettin crap in the heads (I'm definately going to rock the brushed look if I can get it to look good all around haha), and dropped the engine/trans in the dub to start getting an idea for the exhaust and shifter. Shifter is still lookin good, exhaust is gunna need some work haha.

Heres the frame rail work I'm going to have to do

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 04-11-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #114 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Well, had to take a step backwards yesterday. I noticed the DS wasn't going to clear the new exhaust, so I had to cut the exhaust again and reshape part of it. I got it finished, now it clears the driveshaft at full bump also. the Y-pipe is finally 1 peice again, and I welded it up with the engine in the truck, to make sure I could pull it out as one peice. It's a tight fit, but I was able to even with the front axle at full bump! Then I finish welded it and called it a day. So, here are some pics of whats up. First off, the exhaust vs driveshaft from the perspective of the tcase yoke:

Manifold, starter, and frame rail

Newest version of the exhaust:

Today I went back and plated the frame rail. It was divided into two peices with that horizontal line because there is another peice of the unibody running there. I was able to weld to it as well so all factory structure is connected. I'm not sure if I'm done with it yet, I might add a larger top plate to disperse the loads. And sorry for the shitty looking welds lol, I suck at vertical and had to fill a few gaps.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #115 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Polished that turd...

And my new badass shifter. Definately keepin it around for a while
1st gear:

5th gear:

Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #116 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Well I've been gettin some work done on this thing, gettin closer and closer!

10 minutes with a dremel and I was able to drop my center console and lower dash back in (4th gear)

I painted the exhaust manifolds, valve covers, and Y pipe in a high-temp satin black, torqued them for the final time and dropped in the engine for HOPEFULLY the last time

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to the input shaft, I was spinning the output by hand as I went. Came out pretty well, wasn't sure exactly what to expect

Then I was able to put the tcase in and start messing with the crossmember. The sweet news is I was able to flip the crossmember upside down for WAY more clearance under the belly. Nothing hangs below the clayton's frame rail stiffeners.

Side pic, nothing below the rails. NICE.

And here's what I had to work with for the trans crossmember

I cut down the original bushing (same part as one of the motor mounts) for clearance, the idea came from a member on Mallcrawlin, great idea.

Then I cut up this little tray to mount the bushing on, it will be welded to the front of the crossmember in the above pics

Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #117 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
I finished off the trans mount today, but not much more then that. I did a lot of tinkering to decide how I wanted it. it's 1/4" plate and has similar supports on each side for vertical strength. What do you guys think, strong enough?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #118 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
well I haven't done much on it lately...but some! Threw most everything on the engine a few days ago, and stripped all the auto tranny stuff out of the wiring harness today.

My first time diving into a wiring harness...it was intimidating but wasn't hard once I sat down with printouts of the trans connectors pinouts.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #119 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Well I tried to crunch today and while the progress doesn't look impressive, I'm very happy it's done haha!.

I started by fixing the mess I had made with the harness. Sealed any cut wires, redid the wire loom on all of it and wound the loom in electrical tape like from the factory. I ran out of electrical tape like 1 foots worth short, so I said screw it and dropped the harness in place. After that I finally got around to installing the Dakota's computer, but while the computer was out I let my OCD kick in and yanked the battery tray so I could clean everything on that side of the engine compartment because I have come to realize just how much I hate working on anything dirty and grimey..

I even laid the power harness back in place to see what was going to need to happen with the starter power wire. I'm looking at running it up over the intake manifold and dropping it down the drivers side frame rail, which means I'll need somewhere around 2' more. Anyone have an issue with running audio power cable? I have a peice of 4 gauge that might be just the right length.

I didn't do the crossmember or exhaust because I didn't ever get into real work clothes, so I didn't wanna get too messy. Tomorrow then!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 36827
Send a message via AIM to omaha
man i cant wait to see this thing done.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #121 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha View Post
man i cant wait to see this thing done.
Me either man, me either . It's honestly getting to the nervous excitement part. This is where I get to see if everythings working the way it should

I've been working on it over the past few days, and if all goes well I'm going to fire it tonight!

So lets see...2 days ago I welded up the crossmember, threw some paint on it and installed it.

Then I threw the springs back in the front, dropped the rad overflow in place, and connected all the connectors for the wiring harness. It sits way higher in the front than it used to right now. Not everything is in yet so it should sag a little, but I have got to be 200+lbs lighter than when it rolled into the garage (No front plate bumper, and the trans size difference).

Yesterday I did a lot of dirty work. Bolted up the steering box, pitman arm, power steering pump and high pressure line. Then I bolted up the Y-pipe (which apparently I warped while finish welding...had to make one more cut and shift to get it lined up with the manifold...sigh). I dicked around with that alone for a few hours BUT...that's done, o2 sensors are plugged in, all the vacuum systems are a go, the rad overflow is in, tstat is in, new oil is in, shifter is permenantly mounted...

I just got back from a trip to kragen in which I got fluid for the tranny, new battery terminals, new spark plugs and some brake fluid for the clutch. I have a friend that's going to make me some sweet 0 gauge wires to rebuild my power harness. Once I get the plugs in and all the grounds on, I can drop the radiator in, fill it with coolant and fire it tonight!

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 04-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #122 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
SO...some little news....I dropped the rad in and filled it with coolant, put in new plugs and connected all the coils. SHE FIRED FIRST TRY! Kind of. The first time I tried I got nothing outta the starter, I forgot to ground the NSS lol. I did that and it cranked and fired RIGHT up, as in no delay at all. I've never had the jeep fire fast so that was awesome to hear. The one catch, it died about 3 seconds later. I'm getting the SKIM light on the dash, which is super lame because as far as I had found the Dakotas didn't have the SKIM system. I might need to see if I can take my PCM to the dealership and have it reprogrammed, or have my keys reprogrammed to match

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #123 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
No more pics but..

YouTube - Firing up the WJ after head rebuild and manual trans swap!

Damn I like how the exhaust sounds haha. I hope to be driving this bad mamma jamma in the next day or two!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 65424
Very nice. sounds great. I like the way your took time to do the harness right.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #125 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
Very nice. sounds great. I like the way your took time to do the harness right.
I think it sounds great too, but I cant run around with no main cat or muffler forever . It only has the Y-pipe with precats right now. As for the harness, I figured if I was going to go through the trouble I might as well do it right the first time becuase I'd be kicking my ass later if I didnt.

I did some work today...started by actually bolting the transfer case in place for good, then went to pulling the U-joints/yoke off my old driveshaft to put them in my friends. No problem, got it all done and installed in the jeep...then found a needle bearing on my workbench. F*(&DOIUJSDKLF:S?MJ*SY^D^FSY&UHID&*&S^D*%T.

I decided I was done messing with that so I bolted the rad in place, put in my front structure thingy and put the front clip on. It's lookin like a jeep again! I've been bleeding the power steering system, I have *almost* no power steering until I get the rev's up. Even just a little above idle and the steering kicks in. I'm not going to go in-depth until I get some road testing with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.