The Blue Submarine - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
The Blue Submarine

So i've been surfing pirate forever, never posted my WJ. I figure I could use some of the knowledge and criticism you have, so on with it. I'm not going to go through the whole build, but I do have pretty much the whole thing up on mallcrawlin (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...?t=7387&page=1).

Basically I've been beating the shit out of it for about 5 years now, I have a 44 under the front and a 35 spline 9" in the rear with claytons suspension.

Before the 9", but basically as it sits...this was on Slickrock or Deer Valley, can't remember.

I chopped the spare tire well out, cut out most of the factory sheetmetal bumper along with some sheetmetal along the sides in the rear, raised the gas tank about 8" and built a rear bumper big enough to store a driveshaft or couple axleshafts inside of. I like working with plate, so you'll see alot of it. The dub is a heavy summabitch with all of it though.

Rear bumper:

Boatside style

And with the gastank lift, the bottom part of my bumper is above the top of the factory hitch, gained about 5"

Front bumper I built, only sticks out past the grill and headlights about an inch.

Got a 35 spline 9" after destroying the 44a that was under the jeep, held up to 33"s locked for a couple years and almost a year locked on 35"s, I don't think they get enough credit.

I threw it together under a time crunch to get out to fordyce. Tore my shit up there (pretzeled rear driveshaft, popped a front 44 ujoint and shot the caps off my front driveshaft) but got it home in one peice, now the axle is back out getting some things done that I didn't have time to do before the trip. Adding support to the 9"

And thats pretty much where I am. On the table for this winter/spring are boatsides and possibly a cage. I'm going to do something with the front axle, wether its chromo shafts of a bigger axle I don't know yet.

Those damn malls are rough on 'er...not a single straight panel left

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Looks good! Some lights recessed into the front bumper would make it look less like a blue barge.

You ever get your park brake sorted out? I threw my Ford 9 together for a trip a couple weeks ago and haven't had a chance to mess with the park brake on the 8.8 brakes. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

Quote:
Texan. Saved my neck twice... once after he was dead.
mudtoy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34601
nice. welcome to the dark side
i wondered when you were going to do a build up over here.

i tied my truss in similar to yours
Attached Images

95zj: 4.0,42re,231,d44/9,4.56,35's long arms. blah blah blah ....

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766227
ohiozj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Also, while you've got that 9" out you should give it a shave...get rid of that rock hanging lip on the back. Here's how I did my FJ40 axle (I actually got the method from someone who did it to a 9").

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=45
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=46

Quote:

Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-13-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Mud I never got the ebrake sorted out, which is another reason I'm doing this. I'm going to be adding that 1/4" spacer under the bearing to get the right brake backspacing and let me install the ebrake. I was thinking about taking one of the bearing retaining collars to a machne shop and having them cut one down into 2 .250" wide peices and machine the OD to match the seal surface, then just press them on below the bearing. I might be able to skip that redi sleeve altogether. If I ever had to remove them I could just break the ring like you do in the stock application of the peice.

The shave is a hell of an idea, I was arleady plan on plating down the spine of the housing so why not cut it down also...I even have enough 1/4" scrap laying around to do it. And I like how you formed that plate, looks hella clean. I plan on doing similar.

Ohio yeah the support puts my mind at ease, and I can't believe the upper control arm mounts dont come with any gusseting considering how long they are, just another peace of mind thing.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 12-10-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 99134
Send a message via AIM to Grand_ZJ
This thread is dumb
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ View Post
This thread is dumb
Want a cookie?

So are all build threads dumb...except yours?
(*EDIT* Sarcasm detector broken haha.)

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 12-13-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
forgot to put pics of the front 44 I built for it.

That was after being an idiot and putting a single UCA on claytons, ripped the mount apart. Made out of 2 peices of 1/4"

Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 90029
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Want a cookie?

So are all build threads dumb...except yours?
Obviously you cannot sense sarcasm when it slaps you in the face
fynearte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Hard to pick up on the internet, my bad.

Weather's been cold and wet around here recently, with finals this upcoming week nothing's been done since the last post. I'm planning on shaving the 9" while I have it out and I'm doing all this work, I have the plate to do it and its just another excuse to play with the plasma.

After this week I can devote a good amount of time to the jeep. If I don't get everything done on the 9" I'll be able to finish it up pretty quick. After that I want to rebuild my axle side trackbar mount to be out near the knuckle to match the steering as much as possible, I get a little bump steer now.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
I dig it. Nice work man.

The "storage in the bumpers" idea is sweet. And the bumpers themselves are very nice. I totallty dig that front one!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Thanks man, definately been a learning experience. Try, fail, learn, rebuild right?

My venture into all this plate fab started because of the lack of bumpers on the market for WJ's. There are like 4 or 5 bumpers out there, they are all winch bumpers and have the winch in front of the grill...which means about a foot of bumper past the grill. No thanks! As for the storage, yeah I saw another guy build a plate bumper with storage and I thought it was badass. The way I did it I didn't lose any space either, this is pretty much as small as I wanted the bumper to be. It's not finished though, I still need to plate in the top all around it and add a removeable access panel for the storage area.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 12-13-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Got done with my last final this morning, free time finally! Been cleaning up and welding up those supports I made. Right now I'm taking a break before looking at hacking into the bottom for the shave.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Shavin time!

Got a good gain in ground clearance...

Starting to plate it in...

Using a peice of 1/8" on the inside, welded inside and out Then will plate the bottom with another peice of 1/8", and leave a few small holes to weld the 2 together.

Template for the top peice, it overlaps the housing. The two peices basically sandwich the housing, then will be welded together through spot welds or similar. This is where I left it today.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 12-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Very cool. I like the idea of using two thinner plates vs one thick plate.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
We'll see how it holds up! I like the idea of having the housing sandwiched between the two.

So I finished the shave today with the bottom plate, and chopped my control arm mounts a little for clearance, and plated them in.

You can see here, one is cut one isn't.

And I wrapped the box peice around the axle tube a little bit.

This housing looks like a tank now, but it's still nice and light. I'm pretty much down to replacing the leaking pinion seal (and crush sleeve), and doing the spacer on the axleshafts.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 12-22-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Well I got some 36" radial Iroks and mounted them on the badass blade 2's I've had waiting for tires for a long time. These things ride NICE! I've done some work on the front of the front fender, as well as the inner fender well there. They should tuck up nice when I'm done.

I took this pic to see the fender work, I took another 2" or so out of the front of the fender, and I'm part way through the inner fender work.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Yeah who would have thought, more bling on a grocery getter haha. I got the 9" done and put together before I put the iroks under it, been driving it around alot lately. These iroks are NICE on the street man. Balanced well, no shimmy or shake up to 60+. I'll probably be hitting the freeway today or tomorrow.

Proof that it's moving! Over at a friends.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 01-21-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Personally I hate the front bumper. Fab work looks good just hangs down too low for my tastes.

I like somebody out there beating on a WJ.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Lol if you hate mine, glad you haven't seen the aftermarket's. I brought my bumper as close to the grill, and as close to the bottom of the radiator support as I could. If you look in the pic of the Irok in my front fenderwell, you can see the bottom of the bumper is the bottom of the rad support. And you CANT leave that unprotected. Before I built the bumper I smashed the shit out of my rad support every trip out, I can't even bolt a radiator to it regularly anymore because its pushed up too far.

Here's someone elses to give you an idea. One thing i want to do is get a rad about 3-4" shorter, so I can cut that support off and build a new one flush with the frame rails, so nothing hangs down. Then I can build a nicer one.

All that being said, I would LOVE for the bumper to have a lower profile, but protection comes first.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
Lol if you hate mine, glad you haven't seen the aftermarket's. I brought my bumper as close to the grill, and as close to the bottom of the radiator support as I could. If you look in the pic of the Irok in my front fenderwell, you can see the bottom of the bumper is the bottom of the rad support. And you CANT leave that unprotected. Before I built the bumper I smashed the shit out of my rad support every trip out, I can't even bolt a radiator to it regularly anymore because its pushed up too far.

Here's someone elses to give you an idea. One thing i want to do is get a rad about 3-4" shorter, so I can cut that support off and build a new one flush with the frame rails, so nothing hangs down. Then I can build a nicer one.

All that being said, I would LOVE for the bumper to have a lower profile, but protection comes first.
Yeah I see what you mean. Also understand the compromises. We all make them for various reasons. It's still ugly though.

I like the idea of a shorter radiator.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Yeah the radiator is definately something that will be happening with this at some point. the Jeep engineers are pretty retarded though, they block about 6 vertical inches of radiator with the stock "bumper" like in the above pic, just to get the extra 3" below it. I think if I cut out the factory bumper between the rails and cut a few air flow holes in my bumper I could have the shorter radiator with more flow than stock. Then I would build a sturdy lower radiator support between the frame rails at the bottom to reinforce them. I also need to get rid of jeeps other annoying invention, the cooling fan is hydraulically powered off the steering pump. Replace that with an electric and who knows maybe I'll free up some extra power steering umph.

Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 01-21-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 82644
I wonder if an xj rad would fit? I have a high flow 2 core that cools great.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Hmm interesting idea, but I would guess the 4.7 V8 dumps a little more heat than the 4.0...then again I have a friend with an extra cherokee rad right now I may have to give it a go!

I was shuffling through some old pics today, and came across these...this is why sh*ts messed up lol.

And something that I had completely forgotten about, the curve in that rad support actually led to my original radiator exploding while driving down a road around town a few years ago haha.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Well I'm waiting to gather pics from other people as my camera was dead, but we went snow camping 3 nights ago. It was badass. We snow wheeled up to uncle toms, then proceeded to the summit before icehouse to camp for the night. It was a sick trip and the Iroks were damn nice in the snow compared to both the old MTR's and the old 35" SSR's I used to run. I only got stuck once in some soft stuff, which isn't bad considering I can't rock it like all you bastards with manuals can haha.

My tranny's been pissing me off lately, if I can't get it under control I might dive into the first WJ 5-speed swap I've seen.

At the summit, snow was about 4 feet deep.