Just Another XJ Buggy Build - Page 33 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #801 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
So after about a 3.5 month hiatus...she's back in the shop to CRANK for EJS.

This list looks something like:
- Mount, plumb and wire new Trans Cooler
- Plumb old trans cooler into Hydro
- Redo Wiring, Remount some items (PDC, Junction Box)
- Install Fast Fill Neck and Fender Filler for Fuel Cell
- PM Check (Grease, Tighten Bolts, General Once over everything)
- Throw another coat of paint on interior panels (with hardener this time)
- General Clean and paint touch up
- Misc. Small stuff

The Daily Driver XJ build took longer than I wanted to get back to a roller, but it is what it is.

First up was solving the non-running issue. Well, it turned out to be a blown fuse in the PDC, which then got followed by a misplaced fuse in the junction block

So, It got it running again, BUT decided I wanted to "re-do" some wiring.

We'll, that turned into a full blown deal:

It wasn't that I was unhappy with my wiring, I was unhappy with the location of the Junction Block, the PDC, and at the time the PCM.

So, the Junction Black and PDC are getting moved to the cowl, for MUCH easier access should I blow a fuse (instead of removing interior panels )

I originally wanted to remount the PCM, I thought the fuel issue might be the PCM having gotten overheated sitting just above the Trans. Howvere, there wasn't to room in the cowl to mount it very well. So, I went ahead and added some nutserts to its original mounting location (instead of needing to get in between the block and the firewall) and bolted it back up.

I'm currently waiting on Waytek Wire order of more Weatherpack fittings to finish it up. I'll be removing the giant OEM White C100 connector, shortening a BIT of wiring, and connecting/looming it all back together.

So that's the wiring side (with some more to come).

Another thing was the Trans Cooler. My trans was still reading a little hotter than I liked, soooo time to go overkill and get a cooler that would be sufficient for Ultra4

So, I ordered a Derale 13870, it's getting mounted up under the rear, below the fuel cell and Action Packer. The old trans cooler/fan will be connected to my Hydro system, so I'll have dual coolers in that system, one being the tube/fin with an on/off capable fan.

Just placed an order to Jegs for some fuel cell stuff. The top Aero style cap is being a little bit of a PITA, and won't work when I get a Baja Bin mounted.

So, on the way to install is a 45 JAZ 2.5" Fast Fill Neck with Flapper Valve, and a 2.5" 12 bolt Fender Mounting Kit.

This will make it much nicer to refuel, instead of standing on top of the rear tire with the gas can or pump nozzle.

I've got less than a month until it needs to be loaded on to the trailer.

In reality all I *needed* to do was replace that fuse...but there of course was a BIT more I wanted to do

Once this is all complete, the buggy should be good for a WHILE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #802 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Well, still progressing...

Got the Trans Fan Mounted the other night, and then started on the plumbing only to get one hose mocked up. Realized that I was a few feet short on the second one...ugh.

I got a box FULL of Weatherpack stuff (enough to last me the next 5 years ), so I've turned back to the wiring.

I used to hate wiring, but the feeling of now being able to easily trace wires, and more so getting to get rid of more wires, bulky connectors, etc. feels great

Though, to be honest, at this point it would have been quicker to take the OEM stuff, and start from scratch

All of my fuel cell filler stuff was supposed to be here Friday, but the fender mout kit from Summit changed from shipping yesterday, to an ETA of 5/23

So, looks like I need to order if from Speedway to get here in time. I'll at least get the fill neck and such installed so I can get the fuel cell back in.

This weekend plans are to:

Buggy:
- Finish ALL wiring, remounting, and get labels made and attached (this will by far be the biggest time suck).
- Get the fuel cell fast fill neck installed
- Get the trans cooler lines cut, fitting on, firesleeved, and connected
- Reseal Speedo (most of my leaking seems to be coming from there)
- Top off t-cases

Truck/Trailer:
- Install power steering filter
- Install Trans filter housing base plate and filter housing
- Pressure Wash and Stain trailer deck
- Go through trailer hubs

IF I can ACTUALLY get all that done by the end of this coming weekend, it will only put me about 25% behind my written schedule

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #803 (permalink)

Member # 152067
Beautiful rig man great build
Snowboard3r411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #804 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Lets see the new carnage...
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #805 (permalink)

Member # 133593
Yes, lets see just how badly you jacked up 15 years worth of tube and body work.

Last edited by DutchVDub; Yesterday at 07:43 AM.
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.