Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 water in oil - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1291
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 water in oil

01 Jeep Cherokee 4.7 water in the oil. Just wandering if there is a common cause such as blown head gasket, cracked block or head, leaking or cracked Intake manifold. Is engine oil cooled in the radiator? Just hoping to find the problem without having to rebuild the whole motor. Loosing water,oil is looking chocolate brown.

Thanks in advance Glenn Bonner

presented by Yukon Gear & Axle

THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS: Yukon Gear & Axle, Master Pull, CTM Racing Products, Torchmate, Raceline Wheels, Sierra Gear & Axle, Powertank, ATX Wheels, South Shore Bail Bonds, Infamous4x4.com, Graphix Ink, MetalCloak and Scott Enterprises for our AWESOME logo and website.
Skynnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
FroBot

Member # 42341
Send a message via AIM to AgitatedPancake
Probably a head gasket, common enough to blow. No oil in radiator or anything, intake manifold doesn't get any oil or water either

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 165966
Start with a compression test.

What head casting do you have?
ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1291
Don't know what castings the heads are. How can I tell.

Thanks guys

THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS: Yukon Gear & Axle, Master Pull, CTM Racing Products, Torchmate, Raceline Wheels, Sierra Gear & Axle, Powertank, ATX Wheels, South Shore Bail Bonds, Infamous4x4.com, Graphix Ink, MetalCloak and Scott Enterprises for our AWESOME logo and website.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 36282
Just out of curiosity, where do you see the water in the oil? And are you sure you're losing coolant? The reason I ask is if you look at the coolant overflow tank cold vs. hot it can appear to have lost some depending on conditions. Also, with that era 4.7 it is very normal to open the oil fill cap and see a lot of milky oil there due to condensation.
gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Get Froggy

Member # 139130
Is it blowing out white smoke and running rough?
Did this just start happening and if so did you recently run the engine hot?

Little more background will make it easier to help determine your problem.
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1291
Start it up and run it for a minute shut it off and choclate oil on the dip stick. There is white creamy shit in the oil fill hole plus actual water drops (lots).In the last week it has lost probably a gallon and a half. My wife drives 60 miles a day 5 days a week. From what I figure it is probably a head gasket or possibly a manifold gasket. It has never over heated has 125,000 miles. Just wondering if it could be something simple that is a common problem. We will probably pull the heads and have them checked and put new gaskets in and hope for the best. It runs fine but I know water in the oil will take its toll. I may put fresh oil in before we take it apart just so it does not have water in the oil galleys rusting if it takes us a week to repair. What are your thought on this.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40665
Send a message via Yahoo to joe_and_jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynnard View Post
Start it up and run it for a minute shut it off and choclate oil on the dip stick. There is white creamy shit in the oil fill hole plus actual water drops (lots).In the last week it has lost probably a gallon and a half. My wife drives 60 miles a day 5 days a week. From what I figure it is probably a head gasket or possibly a manifold gasket. It has never over heated has 125,000 miles. Just wondering if it could be something simple that is a common problem. We will probably pull the heads and have them checked and put new gaskets in and hope for the best. It runs fine but I know water in the oil will take its toll. I may put fresh oil in before we take it apart just so it does not have water in the oil galleys rusting if it takes us a week to repair. What are your thought on this.
All the 4.7s have creamy shit in the oil fill hole if you live somewhere wet. Here in PA, in the winter they all do it.