Pirate 4x4 banner

Coilover mounting suggestions

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  bizlax 
#1 ·
I am working on a 4 link with Coilovers on my CJ-7. Has anybody mounted a coilover within the rear fenderwells of a CJ without cutting thru the top of the fenderwell?

My rollcage rear supports bolt thru the top of the fenderwell at the rear I was thinking I could bolt to the cage mounts to the C/O bracket to give more support without a cross link.

Pictures, suggestions.... lemme have em'.

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
TPIJeep said:
My rollcage rear supports bolt thru the top of the fenderwell at the rear I was thinking I could bolt to the cage mounts to the C/O bracket to give more support without a cross link.
This may be your best bet. If you are wanting to not hack into the tub because of the back seat you may want to think about cutting up underneath the seat while still having it. Kepp in mind, high tech shocks allow lots of options. If they are mounted like this / \ (back view), you can adjust the valving (make it heavier) so that you retain the bitch'in ride these shocks can give. The same goes for the springs. You just have compersate for angle correction factor.

#6 ·
Due to a small problem the FRAME I cannot mount them at a / \ angle in the rear, even with almost fullwidth axles I risk contact with the frame, the best I can hope for is a | | setup with maybe a 1" wider mount at the axle end.

Now up front due to the size of the knuckle assembly I will have to deal with a \ / setup there to clear the frame. I am waiting on my red star to renew and I will post the picture to describe what I am dealing with.

I want to make damn sure this setup will work before I shell out the coin to buy the parts.

Thanks guys...

#9 ·
Guess I gotta get this math thing figured out as far as the angles to set the links at. The biggest problem is one post says do it one way and the next says the oppsite....go figure.... I am still in the learning stage of my swap. I would like to do it right the first time for once!

#10 ·
gna said:
The biggest problem is one post says do it one way and the next says the oppsite....go figure....
Then find someone who has done it in a rig that works well and talk to them about doing it the same or similar.

I wouldn't build a linked coilover suspension based on what you read on the internet :eek:

#11 ·
bigdude said:

Then find someone who has done it in a rig that works well and talk to them about doing it the same or similar.

I wouldn't build a linked coilover suspension based on what you read on the internet :eek:
There is good info on the interweb, just most of it here gets fawked up with hearsay and new laws of physics.:D

#13 ·
We have a dude in our group who just put coilovers i a YJ with TJ 44's-he had to notch the frame to put them in!!!:eek: I have been thinking about doing a coilover set up, but think that if I do it, I will run coilovers or 1/4 elliptic in the rear with leaves or 3/4 elliptic up front. My only reason being that there are 2 TJ's, 2 XJ's, and 1 ZJ in my group with coils and longarms, and the ride of a fully coiled rig feels too funkie for me. I like to feel the trail a little bit more. Just me .02

#14 ·
I highly don't recommend mounting the rear shocks like this: / \.

It just creates too many handling quirks. Been There.

http://www.admotorsports.com/jeep.org/cjl-tj/finished/P1010008.JPG

The rear wheel wells in the back are square. I would put a piece of tube from the main hoop back to your rear of the cage, assuming the rear piece is mounted to the frame. Then drop the brackets down through the top of the wheel well.

CJ

#16 ·
Ha...I don't think "THAT" Jeep exists anymore, well, maybe some bits and pieces, but I think the rest is quite different from that picture.

#19 · (Edited)
CJ Lagos said:
I highly don't recommend mounting the rear shocks like this: / \.

It just creates too many handling quirks. Been There.

CJ
hmmm...mine are mounted like that / \ and they seem to work fine...of course I only have 14,000 miles on the rig in that set-up, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

if your having handling quirks it's most likely your link goemetry

#20 ·
333J said:

hmmm...mine are mounted like that / \ and they seem to work fine...of course I only have 14,000 miles on the rig in that set-up, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about...

if your having handling quirks it's most likely your link goemetry
CJ generally has some good input on link crap so I am interested to hear what his thoughts are on that. All I can think of are valving and spring rate issues, but that is dependent on how extreme the mounting angle is.
:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.