TDI YJ Build - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #251 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
I will play catch up on the thread when I get a chance, but here is a teaser:

This is the inaugural diesel stop!
Attached Images

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-12-2012 at 03:07 AM.
TDIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #252 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
Nice.

How do you like the oil burners power?
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 146242
Wow, that's gotta feel good! I cant wait to hear more about it!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 4438
Best part of the photo is the name of the quickie mart.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #255 (permalink)

Member # 205697
It's........ Alive!!!!!!!!!
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 216114
Amazing build, man.
Do you know how much the motor weighs?
Wretched502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #257 (permalink)

Member # 216562
So how about some engine bay pics ?

I take it that intake manifold worked out for you?
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #258 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
Nice.

How do you like the oil burners power?
So far so good. It's still in stock form. I have't really been pushing it because I am lacking shocks and a steering stabilizer at the moment. I also just got the tires balanced. Acceleration from a start seems reasonable, comparable to my very tired 4.0 it replaced. I also don't have a tach hooked up yet, so I am hesitant to wrap it out too much, not knowing where I am at in the rpm range.

The weather has also been bad... dumping snow as I write this.

Overall first impression is good, nothing crazy but I was expecting it to be worse than it seems to be.

More driving will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
Wow, that's gotta feel good! I cant wait to hear more about it!
Feels damn good! Still many many things to do, but this was an incredible milestone. It's awesome to actually drive it. I've been getting plenty of looks.

It sounds like a diesel at idle, and even more so with initial throttle responses, but once you rev it up a bit it becomes less distinct. Blame that on the lack of muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afecko View Post
Best part of the photo is the name of the quickie mart.
Disagree... best part is the color of the hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
It's........ Alive!!!!!!!!!
That it is!

Did you try and roll your jeep in Moab? Seems like everyone else was trying really hard to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched502 View Post
Amazing build, man.
Do you know how much the motor weighs?
Thanks!

I think they are in the 250-350 range... but not sure exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
So how about some engine bay pics ?

I take it that intake manifold worked out for you?
I'll get some updates up soon... have a lot going on at the moment.

Yes, the manifold worked great... quality work man! I'll show it off on here when I get the chance, cause everyone that has seen it in person has been impressed!

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #259 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Here are a few short videos of it driving:

TDI YJ- Day 1- drive away - YouTube

TDI YJ- Day 1- drive by - YouTube

TDI YJ- Day 1- drive up - YouTube
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #260 (permalink)

Member # 188485
Nice, sounds like mine lol. How's your vibrations? Congrats man, I know the feeling on that first drive. Now put some miles on it and get a mpg reading for us.

=Jason-
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 205697
In the second video, at first I thought it went so fast that it turned into a blue FJ. Then I reaslised that it was really just fast enough to blow the hood off
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #262 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Quote:
Originally Posted by logs View Post
Nice, sounds like mine lol. How's your vibrations? Congrats man, I know the feeling on that first drive. Now put some miles on it and get a mpg reading for us.

=Jason-
I like the sound! I might put a muffler on it though... I think the exhaust sound drowns out the engine sound too much.

Vibes are much better than I had expected. I was confident I would have to swap out the mounts... but I now have 0 intentions of replacing my poly mounts with rubber. I feel it, but not bad at all. Granted this is a Jeep designed for wheeling... but I also plan to DD it and do multi thousand mile trips with it. Confident that the subtle vibes will never phase me.

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what the MPG's are. I will be sure to share my findings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
In the second video, at first I thought it went so fast that it turned into a blue FJ. Then I reaslised that it was really just fast enough to blow the hood off
Nah... to slow to turn into an FJ... thankfully! FJ's don't crawl this slow... The roughly ten to one with the dual cases is comical!

Hood is on now... I was short an elbow for the intake so I had to route it out for the short term.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #263 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
First fill up. 25.8 is definitely acceptable for a first tank in my book! I was probably averaging 12 or so with my 4.0.
Attached Images

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-17-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #264 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
First trip to denver today. For those of you unfamiliar with my geographical location, I live in Breckenridge, CO at 9,600 ft above sea level. The roughly 80 mile trip involves a straight 7 mile hill at a very consistent 7% grade starting just over 9,000 ft and climbing to the eisenhower tunnel at an elevation just over 11,000 ft before descending towards denver at 5,280 ft. with another couple mile 7% grade climb about half way there. The return trip is a steady climb for a solid 60 miles, and has a couple short 6-7% grade climbs but nothing that compares to the climb to the tunnel on the way there.

Heading up to the tunnel is the first real test of power. I didn't have my egt guage working properly so I took it very easy but it will start from a stop on that hill and accelerate steadily up to fifth gear, and will accelerate in fifth gear as well however I didn't push 5th at all. My old 4.0 would require a constant 3-4-3-4-3-4 shift all the way up that hill.

I am going to try and relocate the egt sensor tomorrow and then it's on! Top speed of the old engine was exceeded today without even trying to push it. I used to rape 3rd to get to around 55 at most. I can't wait to see max speed on that hill now. The jetta's was about 85 in fifth. I ran in the 55 range today without power still available.

Other issue was coolant temp control. I installed a aftermarket fan controller with a radiator probe sensor to control the stock fan. I could not get it to come on. I ended up wiring a ignition controlled wire to the optional switch function of that controller about 1/4th of the way up to the tunnel. Result is that my fan is on anytime my key is on. This got me through the day, however I am still not controlling heat enough. Even with the fan on I still have to go easy on it to keep heat down, which is another reason I went easy on the hills today.

I am going to try to direct the intercooler air down under the radiator, and ensure the radiator is only getting cool air and see how that goes. If that doesn't do it I will likely be shopping for a custom radiator. Considering it was a very nice day, but no where near a hot summer day today (for reference, yesterday morning I had a good 6" of snow on the jeep) I don't ultimately expect the stock vw radiator will be up to the task.

Ultimately I would have to consider the first trip to denver a success... I didn't end up on the back of a tow truck, which I would have opted for if I had any remotely troublesome or questionable issues considering my free access to them.

Hopefully install shocks and steering stabilizer tomorrow which should go a long way to make this thing less scary to drive down the interstate.

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-17-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #265 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
I will go back and catch you up on the push to get this thing driving soon, I promise!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 216562
Hell yeah man! Glad to see you got it running! We're working on a tdi in a samurai here with 1 tons and coilovers right now.

I'm going to be passing by your way the first week of june and I'd love to stop by and meet you and see the Jeep. I'm taking 70 all the way across CO on a road trip. I'll even have chip tuning gear with me and could tune up the ecu in your Jeep if you'd like.

Last edited by Whitbread; 04-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #267 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Quote:
Hell yeah man! Glad to see you got it running! We're working on a tdi in a samurai here with 1 tons and coilovers right now.

I'm going to be passing by your way the first week of june and I'd love to stop by and meet you and see the Jeep. I'm taking 70 all the way across CO on a road trip. I'll even have chip tuning gear with me and could tune up the ecu in your Jeep if you'd like.
Yep... pretty stoked!

Sweet... is there a build thread anywhere? I'd like to check it out.

Let me know closer to time... I will be moving to Durango (southwest CO) in a few weeks, so I won't be along 70 but I might be up here, or be willing to meet you somewhere. It'd be interesting to meet the master of my intake manifold. Top notch welding sir!

Hit me up with some details on potential tuning. I have put it off for now, so I may be interested around that time.

I know my application is completely custom, and my brick is hardly as easy to push down the road as a vw, but do you guys ever have issues with cooling in the modified tdi world?

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #268 (permalink)

Member # 216562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJ View Post
Yep... pretty stoked!

Sweet... is there a build thread anywhere? I'd like to check it out.

Let me know closer to time... I will be moving to Durango (southwest CO) in a few weeks, so I won't be along 70 but I might be up here, or be willing to meet you somewhere. It'd be interesting to meet the master of my intake manifold. Top notch welding sir!

Hit me up with some details on potential tuning. I have put it off for now, so I may be interested around that time.

I know my application is completely custom, and my brick is hardly as easy to push down the road as a vw, but do you guys ever have issues with cooling in the modified tdi world?
Yeah, here's my friend kraig's build thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=344519.

Sounds good man! I'll let you know when exactly I'm headed that way.

Night and day is the best way to describe the difference a tune will make. The motor will come alive and drive sooo much better. If you toss in a set of nozzles you won't believe the difference the two will make.

I didn't have any cooling problems towing a 2500lb load with a compound turbo tdi. Even ran a 4 mile long 4-5% grade at 2400rpm in 5th at 25psi with cruise on. Egt's sat at 950, oil temp never went over 214F, coolant temp never went over 210F. I've never read of anyone having cooling issues with tdi's. How many CFM is the fan you have in there? I know summit/jegs have universal aluminum radiators for reasonable prices, it might be your best bet.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #269 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Quote:
Yeah, here's my friend kraig's build thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=344519.

Sounds good man! I'll let you know when exactly I'm headed that way.

Night and day is the best way to describe the difference a tune will make. The motor will come alive and drive sooo much better. If you toss in a set of nozzles you won't believe the difference the two will make.

I didn't have any cooling problems towing a 2500lb load with a compound turbo tdi. Even ran a 4 mile long 4-5% grade at 2400rpm in 5th at 25psi with cruise on. Egt's sat at 950, oil temp never went over 214F, coolant temp never went over 210F. I've never read of anyone having cooling issues with tdi's. How many CFM is the fan you have in there? I know summit/jegs have universal aluminum radiators for reasonable prices, it might be your best bet.
Hmm... it is the stock vw fan on the stock vw radiator.

I am running a pretty consistent 14-15 psi on any slight climb... so I sit at 14-15 psi for 20-40 minutes solid at times. It handles the temps there okay... but if I push the psi any higher(tops out at 17ish) than it loses control of the temps.

Ran the tunnel tonight driving based of the boost gauge. In 4th maintaining no more than 14-15 psi which allowed a consistant 50 mph with fan permanently on and it hung in there... very slowly creeping to 210 by the top of the 7 miles, but it was snowing at the top so ambient temps were pretty low.

I pulled the ac condenser out today in an attempt to help airflow. Going to flush and clean the coolant system tomorrow... and hope that helps.

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #270 (permalink)

Member # 155912
Iirc, the stock Turbo is a gt15(correct me if its a 17) but 17psi is pretty far out there on the efficiency map. It may be helpful for you to measure your compressor outlet temps. I had a similar problem on my tow rig. It turned out that intake restrictions were causing a higher pressure ratio than originally calculated and the effects where rearing there it head in the cooling systems temps. Fixed my restrictions, lowered my overall boost, made more power and cured my heat soak problems, which it sounds like you're suffering from. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #271 (permalink)

Member # 216562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIJ View Post
Hmm... it is the stock vw fan on the stock vw radiator.
Ah! Did you make sure the belt to drive the second fan is on there? I can't tell you how many times I get mk3's in here missing that little belt.

Where are you measuring coolant temp from? Did you put a new thermostat in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHNIC View Post
Iirc, the stock Turbo is a gt15(correct me if its a 17) but 17psi is pretty far out there on the efficiency map. It may be helpful for you to measure your compressor outlet temps. I had a similar problem on my tow rig. It turned out that intake restrictions were causing a higher pressure ratio than originally calculated and the effects where rearing there it head in the cooling systems temps. Fixed my restrictions, lowered my overall boost, made more power and cured my heat soak problems, which it sounds like you're suffering from. Hope this helps some.
His is either a K03 or a gt15, about same tiny size either way. With as large of an intercooler as he heat soak shouldn't be an issue. Heavily modded TDI's never have overheating issues when towing 2000 lbs so there's no possible way he's generating more heat on stock motor/tuning running empty.

Last edited by Whitbread; 04-19-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #272 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Interesting... You mean intake temps post turbo but pre intercooler?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #273 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Hose off back of head... Until your fitting arrives I will move it to the upper rad hose

It is right in line with what my obd scan gauge gives me... But honestly I thought I got rid of the stock temp sensor. Where is the stock coolant temp sensor on this engine Matt?

No new t-stat

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-19-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #274 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Yes... Belt is good...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #275 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 201217
Climbing a steady 7%grade maintaining 14-15 psi in 4th at 50 mph with 60%(per vcds) throttle and around 1100 egt with about 28c/82f intake temp(per vcds) and temp steadily climbs till I have to stop in 3-4 miles. Running about 2500 rpms

Does that sound right? (other than the overheat obviously)

Last edited by TDIJ; 04-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.