white smoke from the dash - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2879
white smoke from the dash

I have a 89 xj 4.0 that got water in it over the console during the flood
whene the water was gone i checked the fluids eveything was fine drainded the water out of the floor and she started right up and ran fine started it a couple more times and drove it

thene decided to open the doors to try and dry her out and in doing so the battery went dead cuse the dome light was on it sat with the doors open four 3 days unless it was raining then i would shut them

well today tried to start but of corse battery was dead so put charger on cranked real slow so put it up to boost setting on charger and tried turnd over but all of a sudden white smoke started comming out frome behind the radio but it did not have the smell of burning wires so disconected every thing

will pull the dash apart in the morning any one have any ides what could have fried

thanks for any help
drtfun4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
hater

Member # 9900
this is a wicked long shot but it may help u,,i worked on a xj once that had a short in a wiring harness that was run under carpet in front of the driver seat..im sure it was supposed to be there or got moved there but anyways when the wiring harness got shorted he lost radio and power window,, and of the course the clown whos xj it was blamed me..he tried to say that because i had welded on his xj that the wires had worn through and when the carpet was all wet it shorted out...oh well just an idea
Old 12-28-2002, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 15213
Just a crazy thought, did you turn on the heater? If water and crap got on the heater fan speed resistors that are mounted in the air flow, they might have cooked off the crap for a few seconds. The other resistors that could do something similar would be the dimmer for the instrument panel mounted on the headlight switch. Any high current switch could also do the same if the crap got in the contacts. Check headlight switch, even check the cigarette lighter.

Lots of luck.