my wife wants a cj-5 for a DD - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2002, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3636
my wife wants a cj-5 for a DD

yeah, i know this is sorta chat but i need some info quick.
my wife has fallen i love with a very nice 74 cj5 w/304 3spd stick blah blah. it would be her daily driver. not too worried about the reliability of the truck but i am worried about the "coolness" wearing off after 6 months and having to find something else and sell this. i am trying to make her really think what it will be like driving a short wheelbase having soft top wearing drum brake stopping no power steering lacking cj.
dont get me wrong, i would LOVE to see her get into jeeps/wheeling but dont want to completely scare her off by buying her the wrong thing. (actually shes paying for it i just get to veto it if i am not cool with it)
so... what do i need to warn her about. who drive an old one every day? what is best about it? what is the most annoying thing about it? anyones better half drive something this old?
if this is just the gayest,queerest,lamest,stupidest question you have ever heard in you entire freakin lives then go ahead with the flaming you freakin flamers.
thanks from my incredibly sexy wife, who will look even sexier in a cj5.

thanks
zstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Have her test drive it in a downtown area during rush hour. park in the top floor of a nice tall parking ramp. Then take it for a drive on a bumpy gravel road in the rain. I think the coolness of using it as a DD will wear off in less than 6 mos I used my CJ2 as a DD for a summer, and as cool as it was most days it is a lot of wok compared to driving the pickup.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15538
Send a message via Yahoo to das_jeepinator
Quote:
Originally posted by oldjeep
Have her test drive it in a downtown area during rush hour. park in the top floor of a nice tall parking ramp. Then take it for a drive on a bumpy gravel road in the rain. I think the coolness of using it as a DD will wear off in less than 6 mos I used my CJ2 as a DD for a summer, and as cool as it was most days it is a lot of wok compared to driving the pickup.
yup she'll either still love it or she'll veto it on her own. When I don't have the kids with me I drive my Cj5 everywhere for anything and everything not matter the weather. but a two seater in my case and 4 kids don't mix real well so most of the time were in the FS Bronco and the Jeep gets jealous but I dirve it when I'm out doing stuff on my own without the kids.
das_jeepinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 4554
Send a message via AIM to bluesman2a
Sorry Tony, but I can't see it lasting... Sure it's nice in the winter, but get her out on 400, 285, 75, or 85 in 5:00 rush hour sitting next to a big rig sucking down diesel fumes, and I'll bet you're looking for a new DD. Either that or your A/C'd DD suddenly becomes HERS!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like driving my CJ, but in Atlanta, in the summer, in traffic, it sucks rocks... IMHO, but then again she could be more masochistic than the average person...
Old 12-30-2002, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12393
Bought my CJ-5 in 79 and it was actually a DD and family car w/2 kids for almost 3 years and then it became my DD for another 3 years. My wife never once complained but it had poser steering and front disc brakes. I used to drive it from So Cal to the Rubicon at about 75-80mph.

Would I do it again? No way - the CJ-5 is just way too short a wheelbase and to narrow of a track to be a safe daily driver. I would never drive it that fast again on an interstate.

I suggest a late CJ-7 or Wrangler they have 10" more wheelbase and about 4" more track.

88 YJ, 350TPI, 700R4, D300 4:1, rear SOA D44 w/Warn floating axles, coil front D44 w/Warn Axles
nobody20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Depends on your wife,

Mine was a daily driver for almost 3 years. Converting it to discs/power steering and brakes is easy, every thing from cj-7 is a direct bolt on.

you can add ac pretty easy, Just depends on how much she likes it.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jackstand Wheeler

Member # 12152
Not to sound sexist or anything, but have her jump in and out of that thing 30 or 40 times, at least 20 of which she should be loaded down with a purse, Big Gulp, coffee, breif case, whatever she normally totes around during her daily routine.

Now the fun part, if she is still excited about a DD CJ-5, have her strip down and inspect her backside and hips for bruises, CJ-5's and Flatties suck to get in and out of on a regular basis, so even if my '46 Willy's had all the modern reliability of my Grand Cherokee DD, my ass would tell me not to drive it every day.
'46 CJ-2A, '47 CJ-2A, '48 CJ-2A, '50 M38, '52 M38A1, '62 CJ-3B, '62 CJ-5, '65 CJ-5, (2) '66 CJ-5's, '67 CJ-5, '69 CJ-5, '69 J-3000, '70 CJ-101, '74 DJ-5, '74 CJ-5, '77 CJ-5, '78 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '78 Wagoneer, '95 YJ, '97 XJ...None of them run.
4Bangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 112
1975/1974 CJ5 = Voodoo year as we call it. Everything is differen't/unavailable for a stock Jeep. I mean just about everything. If you are going to gut and stretch it fine. If you are going to keep it semi stock..... run..... far. If she has to have a 5 pick another year. You can take it or leave it as far as advice goes. If you get it we can help you out better than most can but, don't say I didn't warn you.

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3636
thanks for the replies, we just read them together. still thinking about it. going to look again tomorrow.
steve, what kind of parts do you mean? this is the first ive heard 74/75 being weird. like little doohicky interior stuff or major serious pain in the ass gotta have it to get to work stuff?
zstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12414
You guys belong on JU whinning about driving a CJ everyday. I have been driving a CJ for 30 as a DD had a 5 at first and have been driving my 79 CJ-7 for 24 years. Get it for her let her deside you won't loose anything on it. You might consider the REE YJ springs on the 5 they do make it handle and ride a lot better.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2132
Quote:
Originally posted by 4Bangler
have her strip down and inspect her backside
Great advice, but you forgot the part about taking and posting pics, very important.
notcrazyjustNuTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
AKA Topper

Member # 14368
I don't know how the winters are in Atlanta, but around here, it gets COLD. I parked my CJ about three weeks ago in favor of my yota, which has a heater that blows. I know there are mods you can do to make the heater work on a CJ, I am a lazy bastard, though . I got to the point where I was carrying a squeegee in the passenger's seat so I could see on the way to work .
I always recomend a CJ, but you gotta have heat.

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Tuffjarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 04:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
AKA Topper

Member # 14368
And you mentioned a sexy wife...We want pics!!!!!

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Tuffjarhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jackstand Wheeler

Member # 12152
Nothing wrong with driving a CJ-7 as a DD, yeah the heater sucks, but big deal, I'm talking about climbing in and out of a CJ-5 everyday, yeah I could deal with it, but my ass would be black and blue.

I gets plenty cold in northern Michigan, Alpena is on the 45th parrallel, 1/2 way to the North pole, and I drove my '46 around with no top and no heater all through November and December while I was putting a motor in my pickup, it was a total blast, even at only 45mph. I froze my ass off, and I doubt a soft top would have made much difference.

I would take a pretty cool chick to put up with climbing in and out of the ass buster door opening everyday, but if she's really up for it.......she gotta sista?
'46 CJ-2A, '47 CJ-2A, '48 CJ-2A, '50 M38, '52 M38A1, '62 CJ-3B, '62 CJ-5, '65 CJ-5, (2) '66 CJ-5's, '67 CJ-5, '69 CJ-5, '69 J-3000, '70 CJ-101, '74 DJ-5, '74 CJ-5, '77 CJ-5, '78 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '78 Wagoneer, '95 YJ, '97 XJ...None of them run.

Last edited by 4Bangler; 12-31-2002 at 05:36 AM.
4Bangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
What Steve N is say is,

They make no after market parts for a 74/75 they are unique in there own right.

Every aftermarket part is 76 and later. That doesnt mean it wont fit, you just have to make it fit is all..

And my heater kicks ass, you just have to know how to use it is all.. I do alot of snow wheeling and let me tell ya, I rarly put it above one.

As for climbing in and out, its depends on how big your wife is, I an 5'11 and some times it gets hard to climb in and out with the top on especially now that I am SOA. If she wears dresses alot or nice clothes then forget it. if shes a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal then I say go for it.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
MRH

Member # 15996
I have a 79 CJ5 for sale she would like.

PS, Tilt column, PB-front discs, 304-Turbo city TBI, Kevlar Body, JY glass front end, Best top, YJ seats, T4, aftermarket heater. Just finished a ground up restoration.
MRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
KOA-789

Member # 11777
My '78 CJ-5 has been my DD for over two years now. My wife has reffered to it as "the tent on wheels" and doesn't really care for how noisy it gets on the freeway. It is very difficult for her to get in and out of as mentioned by 4Bangler. Her only other compaint is every time she rides in it she folds her arms over her chest for the entire ride and mumbles something about having to wear a sports bra next time she rides in it. I know I've made her out to be a whiner, but believe me she's a tough cookie- she just would rather drive/ride in something a bit more comfortable everyday.
Capt. Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 498
Same for my wife.

hence the reason she has a FJ40 in the garage
Old 01-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 8883
I drive a CJ5 every day. Ok, it is not giant like some of y'all but I have no problem getting in and out of it. I am 6'2 and weigh in at 275. So no comments about me being small, I am a BIG guy. The only thing that get me is that it is an old vehicle and maintenance on it is a constant obsession. Oh and gas mileage sucks. I have no heater and live in Kansas, tomorrow morning when I go to work it will be about 17 out.

I say let her drive it in all kinds of situations, if she likes it, let her get it.
manhattanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote