Changing mounts on my TJ with a 4bt - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 183716
Changing mounts on my TJ with a 4bt

Well as the title says....I really need to change the mounts on my Jeep. Ive narrowed it down to two choices really.
Jeff daniels jeeps mount or lord fluidlastic.
The problem is I can't get much feedback on where I can buy the fluidlastic mounts. Any help is greatly appreciated. In addition if either one of you guys have experience with these please give me your feedback
bugs37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
I used mid 90s F150 fluid filled 300 inline 6 mounts. Cheaper than the Lord mounts, about the same size. Seem to do a good job of isolating vibrations in my Jeep.

If you are changing it, what is wrong with the mounts you have now?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
6,000lb diesel ZJ

Member # 215954
Cool

The lord mounts are awesome if you can afford them, if you have room for them, and you get the right type. If your not in a hurry to get it done, save your pennies, and go with the lord mounts. You can use several different mounts that will absorb the vibration, but I've never used anything better. As far as finding them, good luck. The best way I've found is to call a truck parts/service shop and ask them. It's best to have a part number, but that's not always possible. Are you a member on the 4BT board? There's a lot of good info on that site, and you might get lucky and find a link to a site that sells the mounts. I'm planning on using the lord mounts in my grand cherokee, but they may be to big. My frame rails are really narrow and I'm using a big turbo.

These work pretty good, and any parts store can get them, or may even have them in stock.
http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...n_jtt_redirect

Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt me when Im doing it!

Last edited by Black sheep fabworx; 05-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Black sheep fabworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 183716
Yeah Im on the 4bt forums, and most of the info is pics of what people have used, but I've tried for a while to find out more info or places to buy them. Thats what led me to jeff daniels jeep website. I just haven't really heard much about them.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,000lb diesel ZJ

Member # 215954
Cool

I spent the better part of the morning on the phone looking for the mounts, and apparently no one sells them any more. So, I contacted Lord directly. The guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about at first, but eventually he found them. Bad news, they dont make them any more! Good news, they do have several types that are about the same and can be used as engine mounts. Im waiting on an email with more info, and will post what I figure out if it ever gets here. The ones Im looking at are actually cab mounts for semi trucks. They have a 600lb load rating, and are captured so they will never break completely off. They are the mounts in the front of the pic.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Hmmmm, they look suspiciously like my F150 mounts...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 183716
thats awesome...thanks a ton. if i can't find those, I'll just go with the jeff daniels mounts...they are a bit pricey, but look pretty nice and will make life much easier.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
6,000lb diesel ZJ

Member # 215954
Cool

If your still interested, I found some mounts very similar to the stock cummins mounts. There $156 each, and I can order them direct from lord. If I get an order more than 10, the price goes down slightly. I have a pdf file I can email you, its to big to post.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black sheep fabworx View Post
There $156 each.

No way I would EVER pay that much for motor mounts!

Fluid filled anchor 2698 mounts are as low as 14 bucks a piece, fluid filled, and good to go.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1279&bih=583
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 183716
they way I see it...pay no or pay later. The 4bt causes some serious vibration. I know with these solid mounts it will eventually cause more problems.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs37 View Post
they way I see it...pay no or pay later. The 4bt causes some serious vibration. I know with these solid mounts it will eventually cause more problems.
Did you miss the prior post? Anchor 2698 mounts are hydraulic mounts. I am using them in my 4BT Jeep. It does not excessively vibrate. My 15 dollar hydraulic mounts do a fine job of negating vibration... because they are hydraulic mounts.

Pay $316 dollars for cylindrical hydraulic mounts, or pay $28, its your money. The other thing I have to offer is, if you ever have a problem with the mounts for whatever reason, you can find more of these hydraulic mounts at any auto parts store, good luck finding your Lord mounts on the road.

Last edited by gavan; 05-04-2012 at 09:21 PM.
gavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 198319
FWIW, I did a 6BT swap in an old chevy and used the factory chevy style clam shell mounts and rubber isolators. It did a good job isolating vibration, but the 4bt will vibrate a fair amount more than a 6bt. Thought I would throw it out as a simple easy to find setup.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 217439
I just used the Jeff Daniels mounts on my yj and on their website the picture does no justice. They are very thick and match up nice. I had to use the four holes on the drivers sire because my power steering pump was in the way of the front mount. But the passengers side top hole had to be opened up because when they bend them it pinches the hole a little. They are pricy but i thought they were worth it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker94yj View Post
I just used the Jeff Daniels mounts on my yj and on their website the picture does no justice. They are very thick and match up nice. I had to use the four holes on the drivers sire because my power steering pump was in the way of the front mount. But the passengers side top hole had to be opened up because when they bend them it pinches the hole a little. They are pricy but i thought they were worth it.
I am pretty sure they are Mercedes mounts. I have seen solid Mercedes mounts and hydro Mercedes mounts - do they have a part number or anything? Any clue which one they are? Just curious.

IMHO, with the frame side of the mount, the motor side of the mount, and the mount itself, they are not really that bad. Nearly cheaper than just the mounts in the previous post!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 183716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker94yj View Post
how did they do as far as dampening the vibration...do you feel they were worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 5829
J-18569-10 is the oem Lord part #
I like mine (came w/ donor)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
ive run the fluid mounts and the stock 89-93 dodge cummins mounts on the same rig with same engine. vibration wise there was a little more transmission of vibrations through the dodge mounts over the fluid mounts... but it was nothing that was horrible it wasnt enough of a difference to really be noticible other than my ashtray vibrated ever so slightly different. shoot bumped the idle from 700 rpm to 750rpm and all smoothed out well.

bang for the buck the dodge mounts worked well off road etc and hold up well and are alot cheaper than fluid mounts

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 06-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
6,000lb diesel ZJ

Member # 215954
Cool

If you have to do it on the cheap, go to checker and buy a pair of Anchor 2859's If you want to see the pix, look at my build thread on page 3. I'm using these because I cant afford the spendy ones from lord. Iv used these on several Cummins swaps, and they work great.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...volution+candy

Last edited by Black sheep fabworx; 06-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.