Pirate 4x4 banner

What does a 14 bolt weigh?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  wades_76_cj7 
#1 ·
From drum to drum, no tires or rims? Thanks Dennis

#8 ·
Approximately 1 f*ckload

With the drums on, it's a bitch to move. The junkyard I got mine from loaded into the bed of the truck with a forklift. To get it out at my house, we had to scoot it off until one end dropped into the yard, and then push the other end over. It made a very loud thump and left a rather large dent in the grass.

The drums and brake assemblies are responsible for about 120 lbs. The shafts are another 30 lbs. or so. The pinion assembly is about 30 lbs, and the carrier is about 40 lbs. If you strip it, you should be able to move the housing by yourself, even if you weigh a measly buck and half like me. :flipoff2:

- eliot -

#10 ·
I find it hard to believe that a 14 bolt weighs 525 lbs. I took off the outers, drums and hubs, and 2 of us could easily carry it around. The hubs weighed 27 lbs. If the drums weigh 100 lbs, that's 125. I really don' think we could haul around 400 lbs. that easily.....I could be wrong though. How much does a rear 60 weigh?

#11 · (Edited)
Re: Approximately 1 f*ckload

So if what you are saying is true, that makes 220 lbs. between the shafts, brakes, hubs, gears, carrier. So how do we add that up and end up with a total of 525 lbs. Doesn't seem right. Where do the other 300 lbs come from? 525 is too high

norton said:
With the drums on, it's a bitch to move. The junkyard I got mine from loaded into the bed of the truck with a forklift. To get it out at my house, we had to scoot it off until one end dropped into the yard, and then push the other end over. It made a very loud thump and left a rather large dent in the grass.

The drums and brake assemblies are responsible for about 120 lbs. The shafts are another 30 lbs. or so. The pinion assembly is about 30 lbs, and the carrier is about 40 lbs. If you strip it, you should be able to move the housing by yourself, even if you weigh a measly buck and half like me. :flipoff2:

- eliot -

#13 ·
Not sure but have heard 500Lbs.I pulled the drums off of mine Sat.and through them in the trunk of a 84 reviera that is going to the junkyard and them squatted it.This was a 3/4 ton axle the 1 tons have bigger brakes yet.:eek: Blazin:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.