3800-4l60e-d300 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
MRH

Member # 15996
3800-4l60e-d300

Has anyone put a GM 3800 series 2 V6, SFI mated to a 4L60E to Dana 300 in a CJ 7??

This is an interesting transplant for a CJ 7.

The 3800 (-231 cubes which = about 1 gallon) 207 hp V6, 28 mpg. It is computer managed with SFI. It has as much HP as a V8. Comes with a PS pump (I think will hook up with a CJ 7 PS steering box), Alternator, AC compressor--which is all driven by a serpentine belt. I am told that the FWD alum heads and other parts will fit.

The 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700R4 --which is the 4 speed version of the TH 350. This trans is used in the H2. It runs off the same computer as I am told. This engine trans combo has been used in the Camaro/Firebird for years. Novak makes a conversion for 500 --with short tail shaft, adapter, VVS converter to a dana 300.

Has anyone done this swap??
MRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15848
doubt it

why would you want to swap in somethin like that unless there were weight or size requirements such as on a buggy project or the such? id swap in a v8. and by the way 205 horses or whatever it was hasnt been v8 like power for a while. the new 4.7 s have 235 and 290 foot lbs. of torque i believe and thats about as small as v8s come except for the 4.6 ford v8s. could be wrong but i would recommend if you are going to go through the trouble of an engine swap go all out and get a v8 of some sort.

mmmmmm beeer my only weakness
cheROCKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2003, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2282
Send a message via AIM to JohnBuuu
Re: 3800-4l60e-d300

Quote:
Originally posted by MRH
Has anyone put a GM 3800 series 2 V6, SFI mated to a 4L60E to Dana 300 in a CJ 7??

This is an interesting transplant for a CJ 7.

The 3800 (-231 cubes which = about 1 gallon) 207 hp V6, 28 mpg. It is computer managed with SFI. It has as much HP as a V8. Comes with a PS pump (I think will hook up with a CJ 7 PS steering box), Alternator, AC compressor--which is all driven by a serpentine belt. I am told that the FWD alum heads and other parts will fit.

The 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700R4 --which is the 4 speed version of the TH 350. This trans is used in the H2. It runs off the same computer as I am told. This engine trans combo has been used in the Camaro/Firebird for years. Novak makes a conversion for 500 --with short tail shaft, adapter, VVS converter to a dana 300.

Has anyone done this swap??
heres my take....firstly, im not gonna preach about what engine to run and so on, its your dime and your choice....but if you are going to all that trouble, and it seems like weight is a concern,, why not go LS1. i dont know the weight specs on the 3800, but the ls1 is 375-400 with all acc attached. and youll be at about 300hp/310tq at the WHEELS. also prices on these arent bad if you are willing to do a little shopping on ebay.
on a random note, i was positive that all trucks with the 6.0 (ie H2) got a 4l80e trans. with the weight and size of that monstrosity i would hope so...
anyways, i dont see much complication here, just get a good wiring harness, im sure itll fit.
i can answer, or try to answer, any specific questions, as it should be very similar install to ls1/lq4
peace
~John
Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5374
I have a 4l60e and I would agree with the above, run a 4l80e. The 60's are junk. I've had a ton of problems with mine.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2282
Quote:
Originally posted by Meyer
I have a 4l60e and I would agree with the above, run a 4l80e. The 60's are junk. I've had a ton of problems with mine.
in stock form, id tend to agree, but keep in mind...people like lingefelter and numerous others are making these kive behind 7-800ftlbs now. there are some pretty decent advances in stregnth with this tranny and 700r4s. granted its not going to stand up to that kind of power if you run it hard everyday, but i think its basically a decent tranny. thats just my take, i was planning to run a 4l80e, but i honestly cant justify the weight/parasitic loss issue, not to mention the expense, but if i have any real problems, ill go that route.
anyways...thats all i have to say about that
~John
Old 01-16-2003, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6294
I actually considered that swap recently

As for getting the engine and whatnot it would be cheaper than the comparable 4.3l and it is very very common, has made over 200 hsp in Camaro's since mid 90's. But due to the lack of after market support, I shyed away from it, i will fab everything but motor mounts. I'm actually back to A, I've looked at everything gotton idea's and jsut went back to the start. I will wait and see what falls in my hands. I have a 02 Blazer for my wife wit hthe 4.3 and a few aftermarket bolt ons and it really wakes up. More than enough power for me. You don't always have to go V8, but of course if I had the money I would go with a ls1, by the way what is the length on the 6 speed/t56? Anyone know? But the moral of this is, Its all about what you want, how does it do with floating valves? What are some of the issue's with it, just step back and consider all options before you buy.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2095
Sounds like a pretty good combo to me, if you like an auto in your wheeling rig. I've had no problem w/ the 4L60E in my Z71 - but only have 18K miles on it. The 60 has a lower first gear than the 80.
Peterson's 4x4 of the Year test says the H2 has a 4L65E. I guess it's a beefed 60 so it has the better ratios over the 80.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
MRH

Member # 15996
Hey thanks for the comments, perhaps I am coming from a different place than a lot of you.

First of all I just finished a CJ5 with a 304, wolverine RV cam and shell vally kevlar body. It is light and too fast. Full economy strinks. I have a 95 Hummer with a 350 and I am sick of going to refuel every 2 days. So I am trying to go lighter and with more mpg. I am past the stage of tearing up the street. A lot of torque at low end just tears things up.

The LSI is very nice, but very expensive and mpg is about 12.

The 3800 is a neat small engine--I wanted to play with direct port injection, dry manifold-air flow meter. I got this motor and trans for 1200- it has 3500 miles. It has all the accessories radiator. condensor, alt ect. Novak has just come out with a conversion for this assembly.

I saw an H2 at the auto show with the body off--it said 4L60E on the trans. I have a 4L80e in my Hummer, that is one big heavy long trans. No need for that in a CJ7. Lock out converters and an larger oil cooler would probably perserve the 4L60e. With vehicle wt of about 2100 lbs I can hardly think there would be a problem. Perhaps an in line trans filter would also help. I did this in my hummer also. 75k and going well.

The 3800 has 4 o2 sensors --one at each exhaust manifold, one before the cat and one after.. I think this also has roller rockers..

So I guess we will see how it goes.. My guess is will drive smooth have much more acceleration than I want and be very reliable while being very light--about 300 lbs, in a small package. It will give me some room to play with driveshaft length. I have a Military Hummer hood I am cutting to fit.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2282
Quote:
Originally posted by MRH
The LSI is very nice, but very expensive and mpg is about 12.
listen, im not trying to be a zealot for what i run,to each his own and i love to see interesting combos, but thats just not true at all.

ls1s get around 25 mpg, some higher, obviously that will go down with additional weight, but still a far cry from 12mpg.
and i think i mentioned earlier, 50-60k engines can be had complete on ebay for ~2k.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6294
i second that

Even with the 4l60e and 4:10 gears you could expect around 23-26 from the ls1. That bad boy sips the gas till you get on it.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
MRH

Member # 15996
If the LS1 gets 26 mpg that is a great way to go. I was looking for one of those for the CJ7 --could not find one at any of the Pa yards.. Did find an LT1 for 600.

The wLS1 would be a great way to go for a gas Hummer. I have a 175 hp 4 bolt 350 TBI now and it is a Dog --10 mph--H1 weighs about 5800. The LT1 has its plug wires coming off at about at the water pump, so that would cut down the Fording ht of approx 2 ft.

Where are the LS1 plug wires coming off?? I was also wondering if the crankshaft sensor was water tight..??
Old 01-27-2003, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2282
Quote:
Originally posted by MRH
If the LS1 gets 26 mpg that is a great way to go. I was looking for one of those for the CJ7 --could not find one at any of the Pa yards.. Did find an LT1 for 600.

The wLS1 would be a great way to go for a gas Hummer. I have a 175 hp 4 bolt 350 TBI now and it is a Dog --10 mph--H1 weighs about 5800. The LT1 has its plug wires coming off at about at the water pump, so that would cut down the Fording ht of approx 2 ft.

Where are the LS1 plug wires coming off?? I was also wondering if the crankshaft sensor was water tight..??
i got mine from a place in Bristol PA called contemporary corvette...they have pull outs on ebay constantly. if i were going to use it in a hummer, i think it pick a LQ4 6.0 iron blcok LSX derivative. i think they use that in the H2 now as well.
that particular block you can bore about .060 over, and with a 4.125 crank you have 427cubic inches of love
i digress though.
for that hummer, one of the new 8.1s would be sick, but probably hard to find and much more exp.
to answer your question about the ls1 though, its a coil pack/crank trigger ignition, so the packs sit on top of the valve cover and shoot directly down to the spark plugs, the wires are about 6-8in long.
i honestly havent had it in any deep water (still working on building the thing, but the sensors, harness, look pretty weather tight, but cant say how theyd do completely submerged.
anyway, hope that helps.
~John