TJ - Full width or stock width axles - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Ouch! Mine is moving along. I got my stuff back and in the process of figuring out if I want to run ORI's or move the coils I have forward a bit. Probably spend the cash and go ORI's just for simplicity. I have talked to a few guys locally, but I don't know how they feel. I would like to find someone with them and ride in their rig. Anyway after I get the tabs tacked on and the angles dialed in I will burn'em in and paint. Then comes the real money. I have decided to go full hydraulic, which means I have to wait to sell some stock in April. That will bring in about 6K so I should have enought to finish this pig up then. At the rate I am going Aprill will be about the tiime I am ready for steering anyway.
esniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #52 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by esniper View Post
Ouch! Mine is moving along. I got my stuff back and in the process of figuring out if I want to run ORI's or move the coils I have forward a bit. Probably spend the cash and go ORI's just for simplicity. I have talked to a few guys locally, but I don't know how they feel. I would like to find someone with them and ride in their rig. Anyway after I get the tabs tacked on and the angles dialed in I will burn'em in and paint. Then comes the real money. I have decided to go full hydraulic, which means I have to wait to sell some stock in April. That will bring in about 6K so I should have enought to finish this pig up then. At the rate I am going Aprill will be about the tiime I am ready for steering anyway.
Go with the ORIs and never look back. They are so tuneable that you can get them to ride exactly how you want them to. Mine, granted doesn't see any real street time, but it did see a good bit of hauling ass on dirt roads and rough trails and it rides great, corners great, and flexes when its time to slow down and do some crawling. Super stable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Sounds like a plan!
Where did you buy yours and what size do you recomend for a 99 TJ like mine?
I was thinking 14" stx's. 12" probably too small and 16" too tall.
Thoughts?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
I bought mine from Kelly Kaiser here on P4x4. Blacksheep. I ran 14"s on mine and didn't have to cut the rear inner fender and can run 40"s with almost 6" of chrome showing and still keep about a 23"-24" frame at belly height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Friends don't let friends drink and paint their $h&T. Went nuts with a rattle can in the garage tonight after a few too many.

Last edited by esniper; 02-17-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Filled in a deep cut I made when I took off the stock brackets and painted the housing just so it won't rust.

Last edited by esniper; 02-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I have found a lot of places that sell certain things, but is there one place that sells all this crap in one place so I can make one big $5,000 + purchase?

Parts for my Kingpin HP Dana 60
Truss (Dana 60 HP Front) standard over pumpkin nothing fancy - probably going to have to fab up my ram mount
Upper Control Arms - length unknown but long - belly up skid plate to axle
Lower Control Arms
Upper Control Arms tabs
Lower Control Arm tabs
ORI 14" STX x 2
Shock tower (hoop)
Shock tab axle
King Pin rebuild kit - don't need the actual kingpin but everything else
Axle Ujoints (CTM) or something just as good
Full Hydraulic Steering Kit TJ 99 - Big ticket item of course
Axle Housing bearings (hubs)
Ring and Pinion 5:38 -rear with rebuild kit
Reverse Cut HP ring and pininion 5:38 w rebuild kit
Front Locker - ???? - not ARB - need some suggestions here. I don't drive it on the street and have hubs. I was thinking detroit ????
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I finished plasma cutting off my old brackets for the old TJ skid plate to install my Rubicon Express flat belly up skid plate. I bought the 3 piece skid plate used and when trying to take apart the plate 5 of the flat 5/16th allen heads stripped out. I hammered in an 8MM to try and take'em out and I got one out that way, but the rest were not coming out. I drilled the center of them and broke off 2 extractors. I decided to break out the welder. I took some 3/4" nuts and plugged welded them on top of the flush bolts and they came out with the help of the heat from the welds and WD penetrating spray.
I just ordered 10 new bolts to replace a few more. They were $2 a piece via 4 wheel parts. The part number for bolts is HW1130 from RE in case anyone else needed to know.

This is not my rig. Just showing what the skid plate will look like.

Last edited by esniper; 02-25-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 165927
As I mentioned the picture above is not mine. Just an image of the belly pan.
Anyway I got the bolts I ordered and went to put the belly pan in so I can mock up my links. This F'n Jeep hates my guts. The frame rail threading mounting holes are all stripped out. Unbelievable! Anyway I plasma cut all three out and made up some of my own frame mounts with grade 8 nuts and washers. I know this is a horrible weld job but it will work. Plus nobody will ever see it once it is all installed.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Once I am done I still have to adjust the transfer case linkage, haven't even looked yet. Hopefully I didn't bend the shit out of anything when I pushed the pan up for the mock up mount.
I aligned things by spray painting the side brakets with red paint and then center punching it. I then drilled a 3/16th pilot hole. After that I used a 1" whole bit to fit the frame spacers in. I left the spacers in to give me the rought alignment on the other side of the frame rail. I drilled a 1/2 whole through both side. Then I popped in the frame spacers and tack welded them in.

Last edited by esniper; 03-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I painted the belly pan red for some reason. Anyway I am going to put the pan in and use the front link mounts only. The rear is going to stay as is until I do the rear stretch. I still need to cut all the mounts off the frame rail for the fronts as well as the stock spring mounts. Back to the garage!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Linkage is tight. I am going to have to bend and fab the Teraflex linkage to work with this skid plate.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I am ready to pull the trigger on all my purchases needed to get this HEEP done.
I have been doing research and trying to do this right. It looks like ARTEC is going to be where I get most of my stuff if the price is right. Otherwise its fab time except for the high steer arms, I want to buy those.
Video of travel distance for stock knuckles. http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Ja...6cb52.mp4.html

Last edited by esniper; 05-06-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Working on my 4 link calculator numbers for the front. Good times! My brain hurts!
I am guessing at the weight sections. I believe this is not going to cut it. The anti-squat is probably too high, but not sure what that means anyway. I am still researching other builds. Some people have ran almost straight lower links and got away with it. At least I am trying to get some angle to them.

Last edited by esniper; 05-06-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #66 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143697
Same debate , different rig. Have a TJ with 60's, narrowed now. Doing a mod to another rig, going fullsize with a lot of offset.
jeep09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #67 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 13812
So where in Oregon are you at?

Im in Oregon City and had your same debate about widths, ended up leaving my Front 60 full width and having my Tera 60 re-tubed to the width of a 14 bolt. When I started I lived in Seattle, and the trails were fine for full width, mid-way through my build they've added some concrete posts at trail heads to restrict width...hoping they dont do that to all the trails down here in Oregon!

kjdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I am in Hillsboro Oregon. The trail filters here are just rocks. You can drive over one side of them if need be, but depending on your offset you should be fine. Tillamook State Forest is a good place to go. It has just about everything. Sandlake and Florence have the dunes. I have a pair of Raptor 700's I take there though. When I get this HEEP done we should hit the trails. I am a member of several groups around here and all of them are full of pretty cool people.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Well I got my POS plasma cutter back from Lotus Mosaic and it works, but the F'n fan isn't even mounted properly let alone working. So of course it overheats. I paid almost $100 to ship it to them in Cali to fix and back. I just got it back! It is under warranty, so they better pay for shipping this time.
Do not buy one of these.... MOSAIC PILOT ARC LTP5000D 50A Plasma Cutter

Last edited by esniper; 05-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 165927
With the OXY/ACE and semi working plasma cutter I cut off the old spring/shock mounts to make room for the hoops and 14" ORI's.

HMMM This is why IAN Johnson, from the TV show Extreme 4x4, elects to take his time with the hot wrench instead of the plasma cutter. I cut into the frame a bit. Nut'n a little fill welding can't fix. DOH! I don't think it needs bracing. It looks like _____. <- fill in the blank!

Just say no to crack!

I went and bought a Dewalt grinder today. Man that made things much easier. Harbor freight is good for some things, but spending money in the right places sure pays off. It is the 4.5" 10 Amp grinder if you were wondering. Totally worth it!

I am looking for a house with a 3 car garage and RV parking. Can't wait to have room again.

Last edited by esniper; 05-10-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Removed the power steering gear box, bracket and skid plate. I attempted to remove the frame side Panhard bar mount, but only made it half way through when I ran out of oxygen! Trip to Airgas tomorrow will solve that.

Last edited by esniper; 05-10-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 165927
In possession of 15000 pounds of O2 power now. Back to work!

Last edited by esniper; 05-11-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Man, I am going to have to cut something. Probably the DOM from the link kit and only buy the standard truss instead of the ram mount.

Last edited by esniper; 05-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 165927
I decided to start small and work my way up. Cheap first purchase from Artec.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 165927
Mock up of front steering angles and clearances.

I am going with an 8" ram. The steering knuckle travels 10", but the angle is too much for the ujoints to handle I believe.
If I cheat a bit on the inward turn, (drivers side scope), then 8" will be plenty I believe. Plus it might save me from breaking shit.

Last edited by esniper; 05-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.